Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had to sacrifice either strike or luster (because you couldn't afford both), which would it b

I guess personally, I'd rather have a slightly weak strike but strong luster. I tend to notice luster more than I notice strike.

How about you?

Dan

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    luster
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    luster
  • Options
    What about marks? I would sacrifice a few hits if I could have both strike and luster.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Carl. I also might sacrifice having the coin right now. Or, I might sacrifice *wear* -- can I get a really pretty example of whatever in top-end AU? A nice album toned VF35? etc.
    mirabela
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strike to the extent that it's not atrociously struck. Luster is what it's all about for me!
  • Options
    Coinhusker1Coinhusker1 Posts: 3,560

<< <i>What about marks? I would sacrifice a few hits if I could have both strike and luster. >>

That would be my choice, too.
  • Options
    BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    strike..

I prefer nice white shiny ones.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Strike! It seems to me that coins with lots of luster are struck from worn dies.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Strike. Luster, or lack of it, has a lot more impact on eye appeal.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Strike! It seems to me that coins with lots of luster are struck from worn dies.

Tom >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    how's about a poll: marks, luster, strike?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    luster
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep thinking of the Philippine MacArthur pesos. Luster is ALL they have as the strike is awful at best.

• Options
    Whoops! Forgot Franklins.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Which is better struck, Franklins or Necco wafers?

• Options

<< <i>Strike to the extent that it's not atrociously struck. Luster is what it's all about for me! >>

I agree completely.
  • Options

<< <i>What about marks? I would sacrifice a few hits if I could have both strike and luster. >>

That's how I feel too -- strike is my top concern, then luster, and a few hits really don't bother me. I have some really beautiful MS-64 coins that would be MS-65+ if not for a mark or two, and they look really sharp for the price. I once took this to the extreme though -- I bought a liberty nickel that had a great strike and luster, but had hits all over the face. I didn't think it would bother me, but after having the coin for a while, I realized that it was just too "beat up." Oh well, live and learn.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which is better struck, Franklins or Necco wafers? >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luster, but I would trade them both for relatively mark-free original surfaces.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate weak strikes. They really irritate me for some reason. So I'd probably trade off on the luster. Marks vs. luster is also a good question.

Also, luster can be "improved", while there is absolutely no possible way to improve a weak strike, short of re-engraving.
  • Options
    7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    Sometimes it would depend on the coin series. In some of the classics, especially gold, I would probably take a strong strike over luster. Same for the SLQ - a needle-sharp strike is worth a lot to me.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the coin. For most coins I'd rather have luster. For a couple, I'd rather have strike.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about marks? I would sacrifice a few hits if I could have both strike and luster.

generally speaking ... image

however a lot of that depends on the coin, and the degree to which the strike (or luster) is waning ...

just kidding about the stup.. part Carl image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate weak strikes. They really irritate me for some reason. So I'd probably trade off on the luster. Marks vs. luster is also a good question.

Also, luster can be "improved", while there is absolutely no possible way to improve a weak strike, short of re-engraving. >>

Coinosaurus---How can you improve luster? Luster is created during the striking process and is caused by flow lines. Anything you do to the coin will diminish the luster.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Luster.

Reasonable strike has to be there.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file