Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Commemorative compliments - pics added

I live in Columbia SC. When I discovered that there was a 1936 commemrative issue I had to have it. I ended up picking up a set of sequentially numbered Anacs MS 64 P, D, and S coins that had the envelope, letter, and holder. I recently went to the Coin show in Columbia and met Tony Chibarro who is a very knowledgeable token collector. Tony happened to have a couple of wooden nickels from the celebration. He told me that there was a 1, 2, and 5 nickel issue. I got the 1 nickel one. There also exist a book that was sold at the time. I wonder how much other memorabilia there is from this celebration.

Do you collect the complementary pieces from commerative issues? Lets see some of this stuff if you have it.

Dan

Edited: Changed title as no one responded to "wooden nickels"
I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Comments

• Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    ttt for the day crew

• Options
    I was hoping someone would read this but I guess it does not rank. Oh well. Probably better. would not anyone horning in on my find.

• Options

<< <i>I ended up picking up a set of sequentially numbered Anacs MS 64 P, D, and S coins that had the envelope, letter, and holder. >>

I think that's fantastic, Dan. I really think you approached this just right. A set like that with the original envelope, letter, etc is really something special. IMO, whether the coins are graded 64, 65 or higher is almost secondary ( I realize the market does not share my opinion on that).

I remember when you originally became aware of these coins and were starting to look for them. I'm very glad you were patient and got such a great set.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

We were all told not to accept any wooden nickels.

Any pictures?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    Clankeye, Thanks for remembering me! I really like the idea of original packaging with any coin. There recently was a lexington with the box. I nearly bought it based on the box! Do you collect the complementary pieces that go with coins too?

Relayer, I am almost embarrased to say I don't have a hosting service at my disposal. I am embarrased because I am surrounded by web servers and formerly worked with MS in the IIS group. PM me your email address and I will forward you a shot of the whole kitten kaboodle. I shooting with a Sony 8 mega pixel that has a built in macro as well as accepts lenses. I have yet to purchase the macro lens but have not really found that I need it. I took some grat shots of a steel cent that I paid a dollar for. It might be a AU-50 to MS 63. The pics came out great and short of needing to get to the molecular level its a great camera. With 8 mega pixel you can turn out a A sheet and it still looks great.

Dan

• Options
    Dan--

Yes, I have in the past collected the holders, envelopes, letters and original packaging of commems. I think it deepens the collecting experience of these coins.

There is a lot of strange material available for Booker T's and Carvers in particular. Pamphlets, different packaging (from Stacks, etc.) even Christmas cards for the Bookers.

It's neat stuff, and sometimes you can pick it up on the cheap--other times not. Ask prices seem to vary wildly for a lot of these things.

Carl
  • Options
    Carl,

I agree re: wild prices. The sequicentential celebration book can be rediculously priced or a real bargain depending on who and when. I found one during that was 95 dollars and then there have been others where the price was 200 or more. Just depends. As an interesting aside, Tony Chibarro told me that in 36 when they put the time capsule in there were five sets in orginal packaging. The capsule was opened in 2000. I am patiently hunting these sets down as I would like to see the effects of "time capsule" storage on the coins. No doubt a bulleye stripe but I might get suprised. All of the pieces really do tie the coins together.

Dan

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I have a great interest in the 1893 World Columbian Expo in Chicago. This, of course, has the commemorative Columbian half dollars as well as the Isabella Quarter. I am building a set of elongated coins from the fair as well as a ticket collection. I have many ride/attraction/food tickets that were offered. You can easily pick up the admission tickets, but the ride tickets and elongateds are more difficult. I don't have any pictures readily available.
  • Options
    Tmot99,

Thats cool. Just think about those ride tickets and food tickets.... Wow. Great tie pieces really cool. I have a columbian its raw and certainly not a proof or anything special. I saw it at the dealer shop and it looked lonely. So I took it home.

Pictures of the material I am discussiong are on the way thanks to Doug.

• Options
    Nice toning on the coin image

since 8/1/6
  • Options
    That is very cool. Thanks for the pics.

Clankeye
  • Options
    Thanks Doug for posting these to be seen by everyone. The first and second shot are the Obverse and reverse of the "wooden nickel" that was sold during the celebration. The next are the envelope, holder, and then the P mint mark coin. The other two look exactly the same and have the D and S mintmarks. I shot these pics from bed with no set up so sorry for the poor quality.

Again, Thanks Doug!

Dan

• Options

I got all of the pictures in the post above - you might have to hit F5 to refresh your browser
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here is a link to www.commemcoins.com. I have never purchased anything from them but I am on their email list and they have some real neat commemorative stuff. I really enjoy getting the emails just to see the cool offeringsimage
  • Options
    Hi Fatman,

Thanks for the link. I can always use more information about original holders and there were some cool complimentary items thier too. That gets two thumbs up!

Dan

• Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Meos1-If your interested, I know where you can (if it's still available) pick up the book that was released at the same time for the sesqui celebrations. Nice pics. image

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file