Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE (Coin recieved, new pics): I know I shouldn't have bought a RAW ebay coin, but tell me what

anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know better. I really do. I've purchased nothing but certified Morgans on Ebay for about a year, since I got back into collecting. I made some early mistakes with raw coins but learned from them. But this one coin I thought was beautiful. Tell me what you think. I thought, for under $100, it was worth the gamble to submit someday...
Thanks guys!!

Link to auction

The coin came today (12/2)

His Obverse Picture

His Reverse Picture

My Obverse Picture1 My Obverse Picture2

My Reverse Picture:

Keep in mind the lighting is different and these are my first pictures I took myself and posted. They were taken with a camcorder so they are not the best.

Luster is great, color is a little darker than his pictures and strike is great. No distracting marks at all on the coin.
Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    What is the luster like? That pic dulls it out and shows the color but no luster.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Pretty looking. The coin was shot at angle which can hide a lot of problems. Hopefully it looks good inhand.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭
    I like it. Nice catch.
  • Options
    I only looked quick, and I have not collected Morgans for over 20 years (regularly) but that looks like one heck of a strike for a 21!

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you did at least reasonably well. I wonder if the color has been enhanced in the photo, but the toning looks market acceptable.
  • Options
    Nice !
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'm hoping I do okay... I'll let you know when it comes and after I submit it...image
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    1921 Morgans are hard to find with nice album toning like that. Looks nice to me, and you really don't have much downside risk since your price on it is $62.
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it was cleaned at one time, placed in an album, and then toned at the borders. As a result of that possible cleaning, the coin looks dull from the scan. But, you have a return privilege, so presumably your downside is limited if the coin looks like the scan. But, assuming it does, why buy a dull coin? Were you hoping to buy a raw coin that looked better in person than the scan depicted? How likely is that? No, I guess you considered the coin pretty and well struck. Good luck.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a 21 ,it has a great strike,I think you very well.
    Al
  • Options
    I would have had a tough time passing that one up for the BIN.

Post some good pics when you get it.

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Gemtone, I can name several sellers where their coins look better than their images, including mine. Are you saying it is unlikely that the coin will look better than the image?
  • Options
    DLRC coins, that I have purchased, have always been better in hand.

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Eric: I'm saying that it's reasonable to assume most sellers attempt to present their coins in the best light, so to speak. Not suprisingly, then, it's always a surprise when I find the coin looks anywhere near as nice in person as the scan. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and I can name some examples, but it is not the norm. As for the coin looking even better than the scan, I venture that such an expectation is not realistic and is designed to enrich the post office on returns, assuming you have that privilege.

• Options

<< <i>Not suprisingly, then, it's always a surprise...
    As for the coin looking even better than the scan, I venture that such an expectation is not realistic and is designed to enrich the post office on returns, assuming you have that privilege. >>

I don't understand - if a coin is better in hand than the posted image, as is often the case with the coins I buy from DLRC, why would the PO be enriched - I am not going to return the coin as it was better than the posted image...? What did I misundertand? I am not talking about "expecting" or "hoping" some raw coin on eBay will be better than a posted scan - just that coins can look better in hand and from some reputable dealers they often do.

Billy

PS - I agree with Eric
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    You can't tell what this coin will look like in hand from the pics. The coin may have sparkling luster and may have more marks and may or may not have been cleaned. The angled pics with reflected light is almost useless for anything but showing mirrors and color. I am very hesitant about buying coins with pics shot like this, esp raw.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    As I said, I figured it was worth the risk with the return policy and for under $100. If it is a dog, then I can return it. I'm okay with that. I've returned clothes and food that didn't meet with my satisfaction after bringing them home.

As for it being a pretty coin, yes it is and I bought it because it caught my eye. Hopefully it will still catch my eye in hand. 1921's are not generally lusterous due to the high mintage any way. If it was cleaned, I'll spot the hairlines (not mentioned in the description) and return it!

Its all good!!

~Wayne
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I agree with some of the others about being mildly suspicious of the photography, but I think it's a good gamble!!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    It looks nice....and I can understand the 'questionable' photography, but damn, if that sellers images and 'zoning' of the images isnt at the very least WAY better than the likes of Teletrade, and perhaps equal to or maybe even a bit better than Heritages....do you all think the seller would go with that particular type of imaging and purposely photograph the coin to hide something?
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    Magikbilly: I was trying to say that if you expect the coin to be better than the scan than you're in for some disappointment. Hence, you'll be returning coins more often than not and the only beneficiary will be the postal service.
  • Options
    do you all think the seller would go with that particular type of imaging and purposely photograph the coin to hide something?

No way, never. Not on ebay.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching this seller's coins for years on ebay. Most have beautiful periphrial toning. He must have good connections....
  • Options
    I don't get it. Why pay $62.00 plus S/H/I for a coin you can buy by the handfull of at any coinshow for $30 to $65? Plus 1921's seem to be one of the most dipped and redipped Morgans IMO, just by looking at all the boxes of temporarily white, shiney, junk for sale at virtually every show. Of course dipped coins will tone quickly because their surfaces have the protective old salts removed. So with all the old collections coming on the market that can be previewed before auctions, why risk any money at all (even small amounts)--- IMO there's just to much neat stuff coming up for sale. And ANR, Heritage, etc. have really good pictures compared to many images on eBay.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i like it!

K S
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    You guys are funny argueing back & forth about what the picture looks like.
    All you got to do is scan several thousand coins, take thousands of digitial photographs and compared hundreds of dealer's pictures with their actual coins (like I have) and one pretty much gets the feel of what a coin will look like from judging from the picture. Nothing magicial or difficult about it. No shiat sherlock.
    I can tell you right now that the picture looks waaay better than the coin will. When anablep gets it in hand he's gonna say "Dam where did all the pretty green & blue go? This thing's dark & ugly."
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>I can tell you right now that the picture looks waaay better than the coin will. When anablep gets it in hand he's gonna say "Dam where did all the pretty green & blue go? This thing's dark & ugly." >>

I hope you are wrong. According to some of his feedback, others have commented that the coin they received looked like the image and the zoom technology was accurate. Again, if it is dark & ugly, then so be it.

As for spending $62 on a Morgan and taking a chance, well if no one took a chance on a coin, then what would be the fun in collecting???

~Wayne
  • Options
    <<<As for spending $62 on a Morgan and taking a chance, well if no one took a chance on a coin, then what would be the fun in collecting???>>
    I agree. That's the fun of eBay. I'm not saying you got burned or anything. I'm just saying in my experience the zoomify colors were not accurate. Got some examples around here somewhere I'll post.
  • Options
    Okay!

~Wayne
  • Options
    Here's the dealer's pict. Notice that like your Morgan this Barber has beautiful blue & green colors with lighter centers. I didn't think it would actually look like this because I generally know what toned Barbers look like.

imageimage

This is what it actually looked like. My pictures are 100% accurate & it looks exactly like this. Notice it's dark & ugly and the colors are not the same. That was not an issue with me however because I like dark ugly Barbers & got what I was expecting and was happy about it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I actually like the "real" picture better. image
  • Options
    I like the real pictures too. Nothing wrong or AT or problematic with them at all. If my Morgan looks like that, I'd be content.

~Wayne
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog97
    In my eyes it's far from ugly,nice even tone,if it were blotchy ,
    than maybe not so nice.
    Al
  • Options
    ttt

~Wayne
  • Options
    Actually although I strongly think you're always better going to a coin show to buy raw inexpensive Morgans, the real point is you wanted to own this coin, you will probably be happy with it, and it doesn't really matter what anyone on this forum thinks if you like it. On more expensive material, you've already acknowledged you know better than to buy non PCGS/NGC coins--especially on slease-bay; so enjoy it!image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I bought a raw toned Ike from this seller -- and while the coin was not "dark and ugly" the pic was better than the coin in hand. No problems to mention -- it was just more colorful. I still liked the coin and kept it.

As for 21 Morgans with color -- they are hard coins to find. I have the trifecta -- 21-P, 21-D and 21-S all toned and they were a b*tch to find. I think it is defintely worth the $62 gamble even if you end up returning it.

But if you do decide to return it PM me and I might take it off your hands for the $62 + shipping.

TPN
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because I'm not a Morgan collector, but I just don't get it. For what you paid for this questionable coin, you could get a bullet-proof MS 66 38 D Nickel or a high-end late date Merc that everyone on this forum could appreciate.

Just my 2 cents.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Toned Peace Nut: Yea, I've got the 21, 21-D and now looking for a toned 21-S Morgan.

Elcontador: I don't know much about nickels and dimes and what a nice example would go for, but I am very happy collecting Morgans. As long as I appriciate it, that's all that matters. image

As for this coin, I'm very pleased with it and am going to get it graded at ANACS after the Christmas Holiday along with most of my other raw silver dollars. Its a lock for 64 and could go 65. image

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file