Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vote in the Poll! Grade the Standing Liberty Quarter.

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Are you asking PCGS grade, NGC grade or AGC grade image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    I went 65 for eye appeal and luster
    Formely known as kamehameha00
  • Options
    the coin is in an NGC holder. guess their opinion if you want, but I'd prefer yours

• Options
    My WAG is MS64. I don't see enough rub on the leg or eagle's breast to bring it down to AU. Hard to give it more than 64 without seeing it in person. Might also be a minimum FH--can't be sure from the angle. I see the three leaves and the ear hole/slash, but can't be sure if the jaw line is complete. Overall, looks like a very nice coin with very few marks.
  • Options
    MS65 FH
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley: Great Luster, slightly off-center strike (noticeable easily on obv), minimal contact marks, 75% full head, although overall coin strike is average although not extremely sharp (note shield).

A very nice Choice BU coin. I'll say MS-64 with shot at MS-65, that is nearly Gem -- In my opinion image

I'll be curious what NGC had to say... Thanks for sharing with us!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I'm going with a 65, but the head looks as if it has a hit on the cheek. Do you have a close up of just the head area?
    Very nice SLQ!image
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I think it's great looking, and it's kind of hard to tell from the pic, but from where I'm sitting, it gives off a sort of AU or dipped luster.
  • Options
    AU-58.Appears to have barely discernable "rub".
  • Options
    AU-58.Appears to have barely discernable "rub".

wjd283, please send me all of your AU58 standing liberty quarters immediately. I will pay full AU58 "ask" plus 10%. They must all very closely resemble this coin, with the same amount of discernable "rub". image

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks 65 to me.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Very nice, MS66FH
    USASA
    1966-1971
  • Options
    Sorry big guy,did'nt mean to step on any toes.It was up there for an option.My true guess would've been 65.No intense offended.image
  • Options
    none taken -----> image

• Options
    ooops, didn't mean to kill the thread. Anyway, thanks for your comments everyone, the grade revealed:

IMO, the obverse is an easy 63 with a shot at 64, nice strike with about a 75% head as Stuart pointed out. The reverse is a little weaker with a small peck below the eagle's beak and some light noise in the field behind the wing, I'm thinking that's why they 62'd it. I really like the light golden color of this coin and of course really like the value at MS62+ money, think the coin has positive eye appeal and will look great in my type set. And now, tap tap maxwell silver hammer...

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55, and no I'm not selling you mine.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Hey! I an the only one who got t rightimage
      can I keep this one like in the dime thread?
    • Options
      So you're the one who said 62, huh darktone? You were saying that based not on the pictures of the coin, but on on your knowledge of my search for "value" graded coins, I guess!

I was mighty gratified to see MS 65 received the most votes, then MS 64, then MS66!

makes me feel good about paying a premium for a "PQ" MS62 coin!

• Options
      MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
      They were hard on this coin. Its really a very nice MS 63, that's my vote, even after I read the "true" grade.
      Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
    • Options
      darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
      Baley the thing that actually made me say MS62 is what appears to be hairlines on the reverse above America and in the right field. image
    • Options
      You are right, there are 4 marks above AM. Just to the left of the eagle is also a problem area.

Will post better pics once I get the coin out of the holder. image

• Options
      I agree that this coin is undergraded, I thought it looked MS65 to me. Nice coin Baley!
      SNIKT!
      You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
    • Options
      Today's the day! This slab is getting cracked this afternoon, it's Crackout Saturday!

(at least this morning, tonight is for Romance image )

• Options
      jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Baley,

I agree way too nice for 62, Id buy that coin for super strong 62 money all day every day. I was leaning toward 64 at NGC and 63 at PCGS. Nice head detail, although correct in not being designated a FH.
    • Options
      jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's a 62 because either:

1) It was a market graded AU58

or

2) There are hairlines or something you can't see in the picture.

jom
    • Options

• Options
      jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Heh. The sledgehammer effect! image

jom
    • Options
      Nice crack out job, mine sure don't look that neat. What method do you use ? Vice, band saw, hammer and screwdriver ?

Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    • Options
      actually, the vice worked beautifully on this one.

now lets have a look at the closeups

I think it's those pecks in the field around the eagle's beak and tail that did it, plus a light partial print behind him.

• Options
      I changed my original opinion, its got a real shot at a 64. Nice coin !image
      Mike Hayes
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    • Options
      ah, there we go:

• Options
      lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
      'Bout time somebody did a "guess the grade" thread in poll format.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    • Options
      yeah, how about that "normal distribution", aka "bell curve"!

• Options
      lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Perfect bell curve. And it's nice to see a "guess the grade" thread where folks have a chance to vote anonymously, and can't see how everyone else voted until after their own vote is polled.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    • Options
      TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
      Nice coin and nice buy. After close ups I agree that a 64 seems like a real possibility. The strike is soft is this typical for this year?
      Trime
    • Options
      Is the strike soft? I thought it looked average to average plus. I don't know these by date, maybe someone more expert in the series can comment.

while we're at it, here's what I took out of the T2 hole to make room for the '28, anyone want to hazard a grade on this one?

It really didn't look right with all that toning, next to the white and lightly toned companions.

And NO, it's not for sale, don't you know it's against the rules to post coins on here that are available? image

• Options
      Baley,

I remember when you first posted pics of your type set that the toned SLQ was very popular. However the '28 looks perfect next to the other quarters. Beautiful page.
      Bill
    • Options
      ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Baley,

The problem with the image of the 28P is that you really can't tell whether the minor reverse contact marks and hairlines which you noted "jump out" at the viewer when he actually sees the coin. In a 62 grade, I am inclined to believe they do, otherwise, I feel NGC is being too hard on the coin. With the lighting of the image, they appear to be rather trivial and not worth downgrading the coin for them.

Then again, I have a Capped Bust Qtr. in a 4 holder that has a long thin scratch in the rt. obverse field that you only notice if you tilted the coin at a specific angle. W/o the scratch, it would be in a 5 holder & worth over 2x its present value.

I prefer the color and eye appeal of the 30P to the 28P, however, I prefer the strike and surfaces of the 28P.
      "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
      "Seu cabra da peste,
      "Sou Mangueira......."
    • Options
      Nice coin Baley! Get crackin' with the Dremel!!
    • Options
      Get crackin' with the Dremel!!

it's already outtta there, techeff.

the Bench Vice is my preferred method of freeing coins from their plastic shells image

• Options
      thanks! next in the crosshairs is a fairly well-matched Barber quarter. Anybody got a recently "graded" MS62 for sale?

• Options
      JadeRareCoinJadeRareCoin Posts: 2,768

Before I will guess the grade on your coin, I would like to know who submitted it; you or a major dealer?

I voted anyway. I called it an MS-64 before I saw the grade in your post. Looks like a nice coin.
      www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    • Options
      StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Baley: The toning on your 1930 SLQ is absolutely beautiful!! image

I just got my long-time raw type SLQ back from PCGS and am very pleased that the 1918-S graded MS-64 FH !!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    • Options
      BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Real grade AU=58, near full head This coin has a rub down the leg and is not a full Mint State piece.

Market price grade MS-62 (It's fair to charge low end MS money for this coin because of the eye appeal.)

"Leading Company" Slab Grade MS-64

"Third World Slab Company Grade" MS-66, Full Head.
      Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    • Options
      I like Standing Liberty Quarters.........
      JoeCool
    • Options
      nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
      Grading by pic sure ain't easy...
    • Options
      rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
      "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
      rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    • Options
      Real grade AU=58, near full head This coin has a rub down the leg and is not a full Mint State piece.
      Market price grade MS-62 (It's fair to charge low end MS money for this coin because of the eye appeal.)
      "Leading Company" Slab Grade MS-64
      "Third World Slab Company Grade" MS-66, Full Head.

BillJones, interesting analysis and I cannot say I disagree with you;
      also, could you please direct me to the crusty "old time" technical graders who will sell me coins like this for AU58 prices image

Grading by pic sure ain't easy...

No, nwcs, it's not, is it?

• Options
      image I thought it was a MS64
      PCBUM

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
    Emoji
    Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
    Drop image/file