Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1889-CC COIN (non-coin) Ebay Ad. Fraud????

Take a look at this ad for another 1889-CC non-coin.

This guy sells many genuine Morgans.

Think he should know better than to call this non-coin a coin?

1889-CC BLAZING MORGAN NO RESERVE

Please tell me what you think.
LJR

Comments

• Options
    Wow, he makes 2 vague references to the fact that it is not a coin, but
    just a bullion novelty (the 1 oz. of .999 silver, and the serial # from the
    place that made it) but it sure looks like he is trying to deceive someone
    who is not paying attention. (Especially with the zero return policy and no
    pictures of the reverse where it will show it is not a coin.)

Must be nice not to have a soul.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    Very deceptive, IMHO.
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    LouisLouis Posts: 3,687

<< <i>Very deceptive, IMHO. >>

I concur.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a rip-off!! This guy knows exactly what he is doing. Very, very deceptive; yet he has covered himself by the very vague references to the bullion content. Not picturing the reverse, not clearly stating that the item is not really a genuine coin, referencing other Carson City dollars that he is selling, hard to find in this condition/grade, listing under Morgan Dollars in the Coins category (instead of under bullion), no return policy, and private bidders (so we cannot warn them??). Very careful in wording. This guy appears to be quite experienced in highly deceptive auctions; a very calculated auction to snare the inexperienced.

It gives me a sick feeling in my stomach. Wonder if he needs sleeping aids to fall asleep at night (most likely not - probably has no remorse whatsoever to bother him). Bottom line---- Buyer Beware! Knowledge is KING.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Not to mention directing bidders to email and ask question. . . . but he's going to be unavailable for the last three days of the auction.
  • Options
    The price is already way above what it should probably be... was thinking of making an ID to jack it way up, but I guess technically since he hasn't lied...
  • Options
    National Collectors Mint sells these things for $19.99 and will discount for multiples. My wife bought a colored SAE from them for one of her friends and we get their trash mailings every week. You can get a "PROOF 1933 $20 St. Gaudens (in silver) from them for $19.99 also. All of their literature features their president, Barry Goldwater, Jr.imageimage
    Gary
  • Options
    Any Morgan collector should be able to tell right off the bat that it's not a real coin. Miss Liberty looks like Karl Malden for God's Sake!
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    "Sweet coin--strong strike--nice find in this condition... ." Seller then states bullion content and references a private mint--a total fraud. But then again folks--what's new? Sellers of this ilk prey on people who have more money than brains. Ripoffs abound on Ebay and people need to pay attention to what they are buying--read the description, study the scans and avoid sellers without a return policy. (I've been had several times with overgraded coins--but I consider that my fault for not being more careful--I've also returned them and received refunds.) $130 for a $10 (value IMO) item is absurd--at least he should provide free shipping!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    It gets even better--its a private auction so you can't tell who's bidding (but 23 bids listed--if I bid on this I guess I'd appreciate annonymity) AND s/h/p is $6.75--and it you want to insure this beauty it'll cost you extra!!!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    It's not only deceptive, it's illegal. He makes no reference to the coin being a copy, nor does he show a photograph of where it says Copy. He's trying to introduce a copy coin into commerce without selling it as such. Clearly a violation of the hobby protection act
  • Options
    What a rip-off these are available thru www.ncmint.com for $9.95 plus $2.50 s/h. This guy should be shot or maybe the buyers should, not sure which. If you look at this spiel it also does not mention it is not real it reads as though its a real coin, history and all.

LINK

Bigern image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YOU STUPID FOOLS! It is just fine. Leave the poor guy alone!

At least that's what................... I ................was told in my thread on virtually the same subject.
    In fact, in reply to my thread, cherrypickincoin stepped right up and told me I was WRONG to think that such practices were illegal.

So...... *F* ....the public.....and the collectors...... It's just .... f i n e.....

Wotta bunch! WHEN, not IF, the hobby is ruined by non enforcement of the INTENT of the Hobby Protection Act...........just refer to my thread and shut up and enjoy your copies.

MY almost identical thread with far DIFFERENT replies.

(mayybee the poor seller haddums made beforre the act was passed....boo hoo)

• Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    While the auction may appear to be deceptive, the buyer has to be accountable for his/her actions. The seller does state what the coin is............LIMITED FROM NATIONAL COLLECTORS MINT-SER# BK1658..This alone makes him legal. Sorry, but thats my opinion on this.....Ken
  • Options
    I think that EBay needs to take some responsibility for policing their listings. Particularly their Power Sellers. EBay lets Power Sellers do anything that they want. When pressed, all EBay does is offer excuses for their laisez faire attitude. This guy is selling a $9.99 coin replica for $150.00. It should be required to label these copies as "COPY" or "Replica" in the primary listing heading.
  • Options
    This "non-coin" is at $630+.

I hope scamcrook is bidding on this.
    LJR
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>its a private auction so you can't tell who's bidding >>

Most of his coin auctions are private. Obvious he doesn't want anybody warned. This one is a future NARU for fraud. Too bad a bunch of people are going to get ripped off before that happens.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the kind of garbage that gives Ebay a bad name and makes it harder for the honest people who try to do business there.image This guy should be prosecuted for mail fraud and banned from Ebay. This is a crooked scam, plain and simple.image

BTW I'm sure he did not show the reverse because there is probably the word "COPY" stamped in back there just as the law requires.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Is it just me, or do those repro's make liberties face look like clintons? image
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me, or do those repro's make liberties face look like clintons? >>

Carterhaines,

Considering your less than ethical eBay practices it might be a good idea for you to avoid participation in this type of thread.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    I was waiting for someone to say that! Thanks Russ!
  • Options
    This guy is clearly trying to snag people that are new to collecting thinking they are getting " somthing for nothing" or don`t know the difference.image
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Think I'll get one of those small statues of the Statue of Liberty and sell it to these guys. Don't they read the description. Could probably get a couple million for it.image
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    he gets $600 plus for a COPY. yet when i sell circ. morgan hole fillers, all i get is melt bids. must be doing the wrong thing, like being somewhat 'ethical'.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'll disregard the technicalities & legalities of it and tell you the God's honest truth-it's a scam, fraud, rip-off!
    HOWEVER this is no longer the goodle days where stupid people simply died off-they thrive now. The bidders need to share some responsibility for their own stupidness for not having the slightest clue about what they are buying because if they did they would know the total mintage of 1889-CC Proof Morgans was exactly 0.
    True it's not in the original holder which designates it as a replica Proof with a COA of it’s fakeness but the bidders are obviously somewhat familiar with pretty Morgans having value but they don't stop & wonder why they are getting a MS DMPL 89-CC which is valued @ $20K in MS 63 & $60K in MS 64 for the measly price of $600? Shame on them.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Seems pretty obvious to me that everyone is at fault here:

Seller: Listing a non-coin as a coin (expecting some fool to think it's genuine).
    Buyer: Not knowing that this is obviously not a Morgan (I don't spend $600+ on something I don't know much about).
    ebay: Permitting a non-coin to be listed as a coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    On Sun Jul 06 05:20:02 PDT 2003, seller added the following information:

This is a beautiful piece from the NATIONAL COLLECTORS MINT. Note: Morgan Dollars weight .78oz ..... This weighs 1.0 oz
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I see the seller also lists "Ret" prices for his Morgan and Peace dollars and that those prices have nothing to do with the quality of the coins he's selling.

He is smart enough not to list grades people can dispute, but, traps the greedy and/or unwary in with his sky-high/and misleading "Ret" prices. This guy clearly aims to deceive.

I just emailed him and asked him:

"Dear seller, What are your retail prices, which appear in your listings, based on? Thanks"

His reply was: "BOOKS, ECONOMY, OPINIONS".

I followed up by asking "relating to what grades? Thanks".

I have not heard back yet. Edited to add: He just replied: ""NORMALLY TOP". He sure is responsive, isn't he? I think he needs some negative feedback............... image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    >>>>This is a beautiful piece from the NATIONAL COLLECTORS MINT. Note: Morgan Dollars weight .78oz ..... This weighs 1.0 oz >>>>
    GRRRR.....If I were a sleazeBay bidiot I would think that meant it was from a big reputable store that had lots of collector coins and the Mint had put some extra silver in it.

I voice DrWho's comments that when I list an honest coin with an honest description & free shipping with an honest return policy the only people that bid on my stuff are knowlegable collectors who only bid "greysheet" prices.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Interesting negs:

Complaint : misrepresentation very sneaky .didnt accept return I paid shipping 3 times
    Response by smac33328 - RECEIVED AS STATED IN A1 CHOICE CONDITION, FAST DEL.AAAAAAA

Complaint : Sneaky tactics, over charges for shipping; said nothing about min. purchase
    Response by smac33328 - sellers Beware-does not read listing untill closed-profanity-rude-i have emails

Sounds like 'sneaky' comes to mind.image

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Ahhhh, I just got my wish. That sneaky, deceitful seller just received a negative feedback on Ebay. imageimage
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Carterhaines,

Considering your less than ethical eBay practices it might be a good idea for you to avoid participation in this type of thread.

Russ, NCNE >>

We have unethical eBayer on this board? Give me the scoop, Russ.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    <<Ahhhh, I just got my wish. That sneaky, deceitful seller just received a negative feedback on Ebay.>>

Good work!!! You really got him hot under the collar!

GSAGUY

• Options
    Dang nice scam, dang nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    He IS hot under the collar. He sent a threatening email to my friend scamcrook.image

Scamcrook forwarded it to Ebay, but still might be short-lived in his Ebay existence, as I'm sure the seller will try to get him NARU'dimage
  • Options
    Topstuff,
    The difference in the 2 listings is the one you linked had a reasonable Buy it Now price so no one is getting ripped off even if they wanted to. Also that one used the term REPLICA in the offering. Ebay should require clear indication of a copy, but they make too much money on this kind of thing to be inclined to stop it. It may be and should be thier downfall.

I feel the bidders are certainly foolish to risk that kind of money when they obviously know nothing about what they are bidding on. Why can't they just overbid on normal properly described coins sold by honest people?
    Glenn

Live Long and Prospect.
  • Options
    DrWhoDrWho Posts: 562 ✭✭
    lets all of us retire. buy a 1933 Saint repo. sell it on ebay, as the 4th one.....NEW FIND, was in King George III collection!

all we need is a 'fool', that should be easy enough. we make millions, retire, buy coins in style.

any takers on the sham?
  • Options
    I amazed at all the posters on this thread figured out that the piece is a reproduction but believe that no one else is able to come to the same conclusion and bid appropriately. You came to the conclusion that you did because there is no misrepresentation in that auction. Because you don't like the manner in which the auction is presented does not translate into a misrepresentation.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I'll have to disagree. I also wonder about peoples sense of values. Yes there are legalities, and there is right and wrong. Yes, we deduced that it was a fake, we are collectors, dealers, etc. The majority of comments in this thread are against that type of sales practice. Thank God the majority here express good values, and an enlightened sense of right and wrong.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file