Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***SAE Envelope Toning Experiment: EXACTLY 2 YEARS LATER!!!***

***SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR 2 YEAR RESULTS!!***

I was intrigued by one forum member who found a rainbow toned silver eagle in his drawer after leaving it in an envelope for years. That promted me to conduct a similar experiment of my own. I liberated a 1993 american eagle from it's PVC flip (damage has already occured) and placed it in a No. 10 envelope that I have adorned on top of my dresser mirror. I will report the progression throught the year.

DAY 0 (11/12/2004):

DAY 72 (1/23/2005):

DAY 138 (4/1/2005)

The coin sits heads facing up in the envelope which probably explains the differing intesities of toning on both sides. I placed several matches on each side of the coin during this latest stage. For the next 70-80 days, I will place it tails facing up.

DAY 198 (6/1/2005)

look what happened to the reverse when a match was laid on top of the lower right corner...yuck!

DAY 258 (8/1/2005)

Includes diffuse light photo. Back to reverse side facing up for the next two months

DAY 318 (10/1/2005)

After two months w/ the reverse side facing up, the toning around the rim has moved inward. I think the coin is topping out as far as dramatic toning.

DAY 365+13 (11/25/2005)

Toning has slowed a bit. Much more red/magenta on obverse this time around

DAY 581 (6/18/2006)

Lotsa blue.

EXACTLY 2 Years Later (11/12/2006)

Not much change...used the less effective one-bulb technique this time around (Couldn't find my dual bulb lamp)

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey great, the fingerprint is taking on some nice contrast. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    What is a #10 envelope?
  • Options

<< <i>What is a #10 envelope? >>

Here's the exact one I am using
  • Options
    hmm. I've got one in a yellow office envelope but no results yet.
  • Options
    toss in a cuppla match-heads !
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options

<< <i>toss in a cuppla match-heads ! >>

After they had been lit, or unused? I have a tin that I keep some coins in to tone. I've struck matches blown them out stuck them in and then sealed it back up.
  • Options

<< <i>toss in a cuppla match-heads ! >>

ooo, not a bad idea! I added a piece of brown paper bag paper about a month ago. I'm gonna locate me some match heads! good question...used or unused?

btw, I bent back the flap to keep the envelope open which allows more oxygen to do its work.
  • Options
    Some fertilizer might work well too due to the high sulfur content. (Of course, you'll need to get a fertilizer that has sulfur in it).
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(Of course, you'll need to get a fertilizer that has sulfur in it). >>

Sounds like a crappy way to tone coins!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Some fertilizer might work well too due to the high sulfur content. (Of course, you'll need to get a fertilizer that has sulfur in it).

....and then after you've made the bomb, all you have to do is park the truck in front of the building.
  • Options

<< <i> Some fertilizer might work well too due to the high sulfur content. (Of course, you'll need to get a fertilizer that has sulfur in it).

....and then after you've made the bomb, all you have to do is park the truck in front of the building. >>

Well, you need more than just fertilizer for that, but I'm not going to get into that. (Thankfully, the Govt. has made it a lot tougher to get the type of fertilizer that those sickos need. The fertilizer you buy at a gardening/hardware store has been 'contaminated' to make that use pretty much impossible.). Anway, lol, you could probably take one of those coins and leave it on the tank portion of a toilet in the bathroom. After a few months of taco and bean burrito dinners, it should have a nice sulfur tone to it. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Looka like maybe the two darker areas correspond to the position of the matcheads in the envelope?

Too bad you didn't begin the experiment with a coin uncontaminated with bodyoils. On the other hand, it's a nice elegant experiment that shows how what begins as a relatively inoccuous print can become more and more apparent as time goes on.image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Isnt fertilizer corrosive?

David
  • Options
    obverse color became a bit more saturated (more red)

reverse changed on me big since I had it facing up these last two months!
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Just a sidenote, unlit matcheads on a SAE will turn it black.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    yep definitely know that now! I don't know how one ended up on there but it did!
    re:

look what happened to the reverse when a match was laid on top of the lower right corner...yuck!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Cool experiment! Thanks for sharing it. image
  • Options
    yea that is pretty neat!!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    thanks guys....I plan to sell it on ebay for $1,000 someday image just kiddin
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I am going to do this with a complete Set of ungraded SAE's 1986-2005 1 per envelope, SHould i put some weight on them or just stick them in the safe?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I knew an old time collector who had an innovative way of naturally toning coins he felt needed a little help. He placed the coin in a coin envelope and then dropped it into one of those big fish bowl glasses sitting on his coffee table. The trick was that he had thrown in lots of paper matchbooks and the sulphur from the matches did the job.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good way to do it. image

• Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Interesting looks like you can see exactly where the PVC is. I suspect the parts of the coin that have not toned are coated in PVC in essence protecting them from Oxidation a little like blue ribbon does for pennies. Shame you didn't acetone it first...
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Obv looks pretty good.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    9 months, just in....this time I included a diffuse light photo
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    I haven't tried this yet but I have read on the forum before that a very quick diluted dip on the coin first will give a more consistent coloring.
    Might be worth a try on your next experiment.
    Thanks for sharing this. Interesting and nice pics.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice toning experiment. That SAE toned really nice. Too bad it has PVC damage.
  • Options
    bump for anyone who missed the latest results
  • Options

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I need to get a roll of silver eagles and a package of envenlopes.

David
  • Options
    October results posted! See first post for details. Looks like the toning has slowed a bit. Maybe this one is ready to sell for $10,000? image
  • Options
    If you just put it into the envelope, no matchheads, no fertilizer, no processed burrito vapors, just leave it in the envelope for a year or so and it comes out with a great tone-is it AT or NT?image
    Xokie
  • Options

<< <i>If you just put it into the envelope, no matchheads, no fertilizer, no processed burrito vapors, just leave it in the envelope for a year or so and it comes out with a great tone-is it AT or NT?image >>

Hmm I thikn if you purposely tone a coin, it is AT. But it wasn't toned artifically but naturally. So..hard quesiton
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Ive got one that looks like day 84 but it's only 1 month for me. Ive got it in a Kraft envelope and in the glove box.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    fertilizer might work well too due to the high sulfur content.

That REALLY does explain why some of the highest graded coins look like they've been found in a pile of cow patties.

No chitt image

BTW, thanks for sharing and the coin really does look phenomenal. image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Well GCL, let's examine your question at face value. Fertilizer (manure) is indeed quite "Natural"....nothing artificial about it right, soooo the obvious answer to the question is definitely, Naturally toned....as in, "Nature". Happens naturally everyday.

Next thing we need to do is somehow use this natural stuff that's in sewers, Everywhere USA, refine it and then our cars will run like rockets. The only purpose for oil at that point will be to lubricate cars' chassis and parts that are metal on metal. I assure you, there would be no Gas shortages as this is indeed a viable solution/ alternative to that so-called problem.. image which reminds me, it's just about time to go clean the dog cages. image

Later Y'all.

PEACE
  • Options

<< <i>If you just put it into the envelope, no matchheads, no fertilizer, no processed burrito vapors, just leave it in the envelope for a year or so and it comes out with a great tone-is it AT or NT?image >>

Would you call it PT? (purposefully toned) or ET (experimenatlly toned)? Is PT the same as AT or does AT have a negative connotation associated with it whereby sellers of AT coins shake'n'bake their inventory with hopes of generating above average returns?
  • Options
    RESULTS ARE IN!
  • Options
    This was a very interesting experiment. Thank you for sharing.

Tom
  • Options
    #10 envelope is the standard business mailing envelope? And you stored the matches in direct contact with the coin? I believe I will storing some coins in this fashion image
  • Options
    I have had coins in various places since I saw a thread here in 2001. Cant remember who the original post was started by.

It has produced various results. I wish I had the camera skills to show you guys. I have an Accented Hair in a PCGS holder in the window sill, which made the Kennedy turn a nice gold around the edges. The holder is slightly dull, but if it keeps looking nice, I will just re-holder it if PCGS lets me.

Wayte helped me make some really nice Franklins. I left Wayte in the bathroom, in the window sill, and in the basement. Some of the Franklins turned a blue around the rims, some turned slight rainbow, and some just turned dull.

Another interesting thing that happened, was that I left a plain 'ol 1981 proof set in the window sill for about 4 years and the Kennedy and Nickel turned a nice blue purple.

One of these days I will get them all together. Out of sight, out of mind you know.

Michelle
  • Options

<< <i>#10 envelope is the standard business mailing envelope? And you stored the matches in direct contact with the coin? I believe I will storing some coins in this fashion image >>

Yes, and I put about five various unused matches around the rim. I accidentally set one match on top of the reverse (hence the ugly black spot).

Should I keep the experiment going for another year?
  • Options
    Hey, psxchelly, long time no hear!

Neat experiments all around...
  • Options
    Hello Carl!

Yeah, I had a lot going on.... and just had to take a break from Coin collecting.... image All the prices went up! I think I will try to get everything going again, and collect some more neato stuff.

• Options
    AT or NT? image just kidding. Check out the latest update in the first post.
  • Options
    Very Colorful--AT
  • Options
    TTT for those who missed it on Sunday
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Now the question is, will/should the TPGs holder it?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file