Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I cannot imagine paying $12k for this...

Comments

• Options
    For a small fraction of that cost, I got mine along with some other coins from the mint. It looks pretty much the same. I like it! image
  • Options
    No, I can't imagine paying that. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't pay $12 either. That is of course assuming I didn't have a quick flip lined up.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice coin, but $12,000 does seem a bit high.

Then again, I've seem stranger things.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Are you thinking 11.5?
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    you are not the only one. crack it out and how much would it fetch?
    20 bucks?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For six million , you can get a nickel image
  • Options
    Nope not me, I would rather own an MS69 version plus a bunch of other classic type coins that aren't currently in my collection.
  • Options
    For top pop and the only one and I posessed that kind of money and a top registry place was important to me... then I could see it-

I mean top pop is a big deal to some people- I do not look at the coin and long for it but... I can understand why someone would pay 12 for it.

Just musing...

Jason

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    Well, in all fairness...yes, I can IMAGINE it... but I can imagine alot of things... like having a date with a beautiful movie star...or being the President of the US...or being a multibillionaire...or Peace On Earth...

...but it don't look like any of these things are going to happen in the near future...image

...and for the record...if I had to choose and could only choose one of the above to actually come true...

...I'd choose Peace On Earth... no question about that...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

image >>

• Options
    12k would buy me a full set of proof buffalo nickels in PR63/64!
    Compare that to a pres dollar (which there are tends of thousands sitting around in mint sets that no one has looked at (but will once they realize someone can get 12k). That pres dollar has a high probobility of going way down in value very soon as the pops skyrocket. That is the problem with MS70 moderns...
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

image >>

image >>

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you thinking 11.5? >>

Not even close. Not a penny over $9999. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the post, the pop is:

99,924/1/0

I always liked the idea of having the number graded lower too image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I can see you paying 12k for it. I have an active imagination.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I not sure it is something to laugh at. Collectors complain of the increasing cost of coins, this doesn't help matters.

Any time the average joe hears a story of a new/recently minted coin going for big bucks, they develop a feeling that many coins are valuable. And if a 2007 is worth $12k imagine what something made 20,30,40 etc years ago is worth. The public starts to develop unreasonable expectations for the coins they hold, wether its a mint or proof set or older circulated coins.

Now granted this sale most likely will not make it into the mainstream media, but it still out there for some uninformed person to get a wrong impression. MS70 means nothing to the non collectors, $12k has meaning.

I can hear the Coin Vault snakesoil salesmen referring to this coin when selling MS69s of Presidental dollars. What a buy the MS69 will be at only $129.99...
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>you are not the only one. crack it out and how much would it fetch?
    20 bucks? >>

Bingo. crack it out, and they look all the same as the rest of the stuff you get from the Mint for 10 bucks. This whole ultra-high grade modern registry stuff is out of control.

• Options
    Even though it's the only 70 graded at PCGS for all the MS Presidential Dollars (SO FAR)....

For that kind of money I think I would rather buy the entire population of MS69's (104) graded by PCGS. Then spend the remaining money on resubmissions until I make a couple more.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I have this image in my head:

RYK selling off Steeler memorabilia to purchase his beloved MS70 Pres$.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

20 bucks? >>

Actually, to the non collector it would only fetch 1 buck so I don't really think this is a fair assessment.

To a common thief, your prized Morgan dollar isn't worth its true value and to a 8 year old kid its only worth a buck as well so let's compare apples to apples.

True, it seems a bit pricey but the slab game can be expensive. I doubt this seller will achieve his/her goals but it never really hurts to test the waters.

The coin does have impressive numbers though.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I not sure it is something to laugh at. Collectors complain of the increasing cost of coins, this doesn't help matters.

Any time the average joe hears a story of a new/recently minted coin going for big bucks, they develop a feeling that many coins are valuable. And if a 2007 is worth $12k imagine what something made 20,30,40 etc years ago is worth. The public starts to develop unreasonable expectations for the coins they hold, wether its a mint or proof set or older circulated coins.

Now granted this sale most likely will not make it into the mainstream media, but it still out there for some uninformed person to get a wrong impression. MS70 means nothing to the non collectors, $12k has meaning.

I can hear the Coin Vault snakesoil salesmen referring to this coin when selling MS69s of Presidental dollars. What a buy the MS69 will be at only $129.99... >>

Which is why it is absolutely astounding that various state attorney's along with federal law enforcement hasn't taken actions. Perhaps they are too pre-occupied busting people with pot or something similar while this kind of rampant theft goes unchecked.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which is why it is absolutely astounding that various state attorney's along with federal law enforcement hasn't taken actions. Perhaps they are too pre-occupied busting people with pot or something similar while this kind of rampant theft goes unchecked. >>

There probably aren't enough people getting burned by coins. Imagine if you needed a coin broker license to deal in coins like stocks or real estate?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, at least that weakly struck southern gold has some bullion value! image
  • Options
    Perhaps they are too pre-occupied busting people with pot or something similar...

Hey, now, let's leave us Dead Heads out of this, okay? image

RYK selling off Steeler memorabilia to purchase his beloved MS70 Pres$.

Let's see...my football autographed by the entire 1978 Steelers team or the stupid, ugly dollar. Tough one there... image
  • Options
    IMO, being it came from a Mint set, future MS70's will be known. I would say maybe $5,000 - $6,000 is more realistic. However, someone paid $20,000 for this.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO, being it came from a Mint set, future MS70's will be known. I would say maybe $5,000 - $6,000 is more realistic. However, someone paid $20,000 for this. >>

I guess it no different than someone spending 20 Million on a painting. Some folks just have money to blow!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, being it came from a Mint set, future MS70's will be known. I would say maybe $5,000 - $6,000 is more realistic. However, someone paid $20,000 for this. >>

In all seriousness, how does NGC know this is a Monroe and not some other Pres buck?
    David
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>I cannot imagine paying $12k for this... >>

Neither can I.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    RYK,
    I'm shocked that you would bash a coin from a series that you don't collect. Personally, I can't imagine spending $12k for southern gold, there are so many nice large cents available. And I've never collected a morgan and wouldn't give $20 for a high grade CC morgan if I couldn't resell it. But I don't tell the collectors in this series that they shouldn't collect them.

Across the street there was a recent thread on PR70DCAM dollars started by a newbie. There were the usual 15 yard penalties that should be assessed of the classic coin collectors for piling on. I addressed the actual value of the coins in question and then added this newbie advice which at least one reader liked:

"BTW, you don't ask for modern advice here as most classic coin collectors will tell you not to waste your money whether they know anything about the series or not. It's like asking a fair price for Jewish religious artifacts in a Catholic church. Don't blame the Catholics for telling you they have no value to them."

--Jerry

PS Buy the coin, not the holder. On high grade modern coins you should always buy sight seen or have a trusted representative look at it for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

In all seriousness, how does NGC know this is a Monroe and not some other Pres buck? >>

they are experts. how dare you doubt their omnipotence!
    sorta like those toned morgans dollars... they opened the roll and were amazed!
    i dunno.
  • Options
    I'm shocked that you would bash a coin from a series that you don't collect.

Jerry,

You are mistaken. I DO collect Presidential dollars, two sets for my children.

Feel free to hammer away at southern gold, colonials, draped bust halves, etc. Like you, I am confident enough with my collecting interests and acumen that I can take criticism and scrutiny by others.

RYK

Edited to add:

But I don't tell the collectors in this series that they shouldn't collect them.

Nowhere did I say that collectors should not collect them, nor did I bash the coin--just the price.
  • Options
    sorta like those toned morgans dollars... they opened the roll and were amazed!

They were bags, not rolls, remember? image
  • Options

<< <i>

In all seriousness, how does NGC know this is a Monroe and not some other Pres buck? >>

The fact that it has a 2008 date and was found shortly after the Monroe dollar release, the only dollar coin the Mint had produced until the date of certifiation being the Monroe was the first coin released in 2008.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    I don't think this thread is a bashing thread. It is a good question, and an interesting one. I like moderns, and collect them as well as classics. However, I don't collect top pop moderns because the populations are unstable, therefore pricing is unstable. A top pop coin from 100 years ago is VERY likely to stay top pop. Certainly, it is not likely to be buried. Moderns are out there in massive quantities, and believe it or not, the majority of these pieces are not even looked at in terms of grade, and sending them in for grading is not even contemplated. There are countless tens of thousands of these out there in mint sets set aside by people like me that don't look at them with a loupe to determine the possibility of their hitting the magical ms70. However, in 20 or 50 years, more and more of these will change hands and more and more will be submitted, and the census will grow, and it is a sure bet that tons will show up on the top end. Not to mention all the hundreds of 69's that will be submitted over and over to make a 70. It seems a sure bet that with this type of modern, you will eventually be buried under coins at the same pop.
    Therefore only a foolish buyer (or one with money to burn) buys a top pop right away. Granted, that is just an opinion, and I wish any buyer luck with their purchase, but I find this way to risky. The upside is almost impossible to imagine, and the downside is obvious.
    MS70 ultra moderns are, in my opinion, a fools game at these prices.
  • Options

<< <i>RYK,
    I'm shocked that you would bash a coin from a series that you don't collect. Personally, I can't imagine spending $12k for southern gold, there are so many nice large cents available. And I've never collected a morgan and wouldn't give $20 for a high grade CC morgan if I couldn't resell it. But I don't tell the collectors in this series that they shouldn't collect them.

Across the street there was a recent thread on PR70DCAM dollars started by a newbie. There were the usual 15 yard penalties that should be assessed of the classic coin collectors for piling on. I addressed the actual value of the coins in question and then added this newbie advice which at least one reader liked:

"BTW, you don't ask for modern advice here as most classic coin collectors will tell you not to waste your money whether they know anything about the series or not. It's like asking a fair price for Jewish religious artifacts in a Catholic church. Don't blame the Catholics for telling you they have no value to them."

--Jerry

PS Buy the coin, not the holder. On high grade modern coins you should always buy sight seen or have a trusted representative look at it for you. >>

according to guru's like tdn, you should be wary of paying big bucks for a coin that has hundreds of coins in the next grade down.
    is this bashing or common sense?

---------

<< <i>The fact that it has a 2008 date and was found shortly after the Monroe dollar release, the only dollar coin the Mint had produced until the date of certifiation being the Monroe was the first coin released in 2008. >>

well shucks. even Dr. Watson could have figured that one out!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS graded that MS70SF very early "in the game" - around the first couple weeks after the SF coin release (us "hunters" got very exicted about the prospects of slabbed bundles of MS70SF coins after seeing that coin come out of the grading factory so quickly - I, personally, submitted thousands upon thousands of coins thereafter). The submittor of that coin consigned it to an ebay seller to sell for him and it was then sold shortly thereafter in an open bid auction (opening bid $1) as I recall with the auction ending early when it was sold privately during the ebay auction. Unofficially, it is believed the sale took place around $3,500 (+/- 10%). The PCGS Price Guide has also shown a price on the coin around $3,500 all year long as well.

Then, something very, very stange (IMHO) happened - PCGS did not grade another Pres $1 in MS70SF and also virtually no MS70's from any other 2007 denominations either (just a single Kennedy early as well and then a lone dime). For me, personally, my MS70 quality 2007 SF coins currently reside in MS69 holders - for how long - well that obviously is nothing I can predict at this point (and, boy, do I have some beauties in hand that fully deserve to be MS70's IMHO). In the meantime, that single MS70 Pres $1 results in its owner winning the Pres $1 registry set that coin resides in next month. And, my son, Justin, who is #1 in a number of the other Pres $1 sets (and #2 in the set requiring this MS70 coin) containing virtually all "homemade"coins, we have uncovered together through hundreds and hundreds of hours of searches will have to "settle" for a tie for #2 in the set involving that MS70SF coin until such time as the "Grading Gods" determine the next worthy MS70SF candidate (a good lesson for the boy at a young age I should note).

Until then, I hope the coin sells for a "world record" price, which will then increase the prices of all pop top Pres $1 coins even further! The current owner "gambled" on the coin staying low pop when he bought it and he won the gamble - to that, I congratulate him as well on a well placed bet.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    ...Until then, I hope the coin sells for a "world record" price, which will then increase the prices of all pop top Pres $1 coins even further!

Good for you.
  • Options
    I don't see this thread as bashing either and I collect Moderns. My answer to RYK's question is no, I would not pay $12K for this coin. I agree that a change in population would have a severe impact on the price (supply & demand) but I have seen the first coin graded at the top go for big money on other Modern coins too (such as the first MS70 from the 2006 ASE Anniversary set). The price for the only PCGS PR70DCAM 1995-W ASE was listed at around $15K and it is possible that another one of those exists in a set that was never sent in for grading.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK - Not just "good for me". Good for everyone who has truly scarce business strike specimens in this series.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at Thom's eyes on that design he looks like he may have gotten a bit juiced on Elixir? imageimage

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pun intended... but I like the Triple X's on this salesman's bottle! image

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Until then, I hope the coin sells for a "world record" price, which will then increase the prices of all pop top Pres $1 coins even further!

Good for you. >>

Pssst...RYK; as a numismatist (albeit novice), a fellow collectin' & cherrypickin' , red- blooded American, it's good for ALL of US. image
    Hope inspires. Any news is good news for coin geeks. Even if TDN warns against this (especially when next grade down is in the thousands), and/or Laura enlightens about a "two-way" market or everyone else just laughs ( I appreciate the humor and insight from everyone).
    However, the record prices really are good for the gander.

As ducks waddle, geeks gawk.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same deal with Canadian coins,

Paying sky high prices for modern, 'highest graded' material is totally insane and a waste of your money, because there are going to be plenty more (even one more) that will be graded, thereby lowering the price substantially.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

20 bucks? >>

Bingo. crack it out, and they look all the same as the rest of the stuff you get from the Mint for 10 bucks. This whole ultra-high grade modern registry stuff is out of control. >>

BINGO!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a collector, using discretionary funds, I hate to see an increase in prices image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Do you have any idea what beautiful, sweet damage I could do at a coin show with 12k in my pocket?image I think i'd be just SLIGHTLY more interested in a nice AU 1813 $5 gold piece, or perhaps maybe an ultra sweet draped bust small eagle dime, you know, coins that I cant get in change from the local post office stamp machine.image
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have any idea what beautiful, sweet damage I could do at a coin show with 12k in my pocket?image I think i'd be just SLIGHTLY more interested in a nice AU 1813 $5 gold piece, or perhaps maybe an ultra sweet draped bust small eagle dime, you know, coins that I cant get in change from the local post office stamp machine.image >>

very good point. this whole registry pop top thing is all about who has the bigger you know what.
    everyone can own an example of this coin but only one gets to have plastic around it saying 70! woohoo!
  • Options

<< <i>I think i'd be just SLIGHTLY more interested in a nice AU 1813 $5 gold piece, or perhaps maybe an ultra sweet draped bust small eagle dime, you know, coins that I cant get in change from the local post office stamp machine. >>

Well said, though I do find the orignal post unnecessarily spiteful.

Who is John Galt?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file