Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Pele rookie card discussion
Created On Thursday February 02, 2012 7:33 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]

eagles33
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 7:33 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

There was a good a thread about what Cassius Clays rookie card is so I thought I would follow up with a Pele discussion. I really don't know much about his cards so I'm hoping some soccer experts will chime in. This info is just from ebay and the pop report so don't take it as 100 percent fact.

1958-59 Balas Idolos
This is another card issued in Brazil. It is small and on thin stock similar to the Titulares. It is also very rare. I have only seen 1 ever sell on eBay. The set sold for 950. Also beware of this card with a blank back. The blank backs are fakes.

1958 Alifabolaget. This is my pick I think. Its the close to a mini version of a traditional card and psa does slab it. It has good color and a pretty clear picture on the card for an odd ball item from 58. The ones on ebay usually have ridiculous BIN so I'm not sure what it usually sells for.

1958 Swedish Rekord- this is a hand cut card from some sweedish magazine. Its not common but its the least rare of any of the cards from 58. I'm not a huge fan of hand cut cards especially if there are other options produced the same year. Psa does slab this and the panel

1958-59 Editora Aquarela - psa has started grading these. they were produced in brazil and are pretty similar to a traditional trading card. There are 24 cards in the set and was issued in perforated sheets meant to be stuck into an album. Apparently there are 2 versions. A first pressing with black numbers and a second pressing with blue numbers. The black is supposed to be more scarce. Be careful of reprints of this set. They were reproduced in the 70s. The cards have additional writing on the backs
Original

Reprinted uncut sheet

Reprint back

1957-58 Titulares (or 1958 AVE LTDA) - this is a good looking card IMO. Psa has started to grade this set. They are mislabeling them as handcut though. The following info was from an ebay listing... part of a 180-card soccer set issued in Brazil. 179 cards in total as #139 was not issued with the set and the set is considered complete without it, similar to the 1933 Goudey baseball set and Napoleon Lajoie). The set includes two cards of Garrincha, Gilmar, D. Santos, N. Santos, Pepe, Didi, and the rest of the World Champion 1958 Brazil World Cup team, plus two team cards with Pele in them.

1958-59 Edizioni V.A.V. Figurine Calicio - I know very little about this one. I just saw it on ebay and it sold for 550 bucks. Its blank back. It was issued out of italy. Psa also has started grading these.

1958-59 Quigol - this also produced in Brazil. Its a small color card. This seems to be the most scarce card of everything produced in 58. I have no idea what this would sell for. There is only 1 graded by psa. There has been a bgs 5.5 on ebay for 10k for over a year.

1958-59 Heinerle - This is definitely one of the more popular of his early cards. I think the only thing holding this back is the confusion as to when it was produced.. 58 or 59.

1964 Panini - I guess this would fit the traditional definition of rookie card. This is his first card that is a major release from a major manufacturer. There is also a Valida version of this card I believe. The panini are not common but nowhere near as scarce as the cards from 58.

This is all the info I have on these. Would like to hear what anyone else has to offer. This is one of the last big rookie cards I need for my none major sport rookie card collection.

-------------------------
Looking to buy 1968 Mira Rod Laver and any ticket stub from a SeaBiscuit race.

Edited: Thursday September 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM by eagles33

Bottom

Probstein123
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 8:26 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

1958 Alifabolaget
--> do you have one slabbed ?

Rick Probstein
Ebay Store:
Probstein123
phone: 973 747 6304
email: [email protected]

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!

Bottom

pmcollectour
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 10:05 AM

Pele signed a 4 to 7 million dollar contract with Warner Communications back in the early 70's. Pele's contract was for 5 years.

At that time, Henry Aaron was the highest paid baseball player, making $200,000 a season.

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 10:11 AM

No. I only have a panini psa 4 that I picked up raw a while back. Its not a bad card. The centering on the back is pretty rough... Borderline mc. The back is clean though and the front presents well. I'm looking to upgrade to one of the 58s other than the rekord at some point. I would like it to be the Alifabolaget if the price is right. I'm hoping to find one in the psa 3 to 5 range for 250 to 500. A raw one in pretty rough condition sold for about 300 while back. I haven't really been following the card though so I'm not really sure what the mkt is exactly.

Bottom

simon2010

Thursday February 02, 2012 10:31 AM

nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since

Bottom

Autos4Alex

Thursday February 02, 2012 10:55 AM

What about this thing: Titulares

I think the Alifabolaget is the best, but I too have only been able to afford the Panini.

As a side note, I sent my panini down to Brazil to get signed but got my card back unsigned with a signed photo included. The photo was personalized not a pre-print so I assume pele or a secretary signed it. Anyone know if he will sign trading cards? On SCN he's signed mostly photos.

Bottom

Dboneesq
Choose Your Title

Thursday February 02, 2012 11:25 AM

User is online View users profile View thread in raw text format

<< 1958-59 Quigol - this also produced in Brazil. Its a small color card. This seems to be the most scarce card of everything produced in 58. I have no idea what this would sell for. There is only 1 graded by psa. There has been a bgs 5.5 on ebay for 10k for over a year. >>

Is this the one?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

It was tough having to sell almost my entire collection of ~1,700 PSA graded cards from the 1910s - 1970's and my ~250 - 300 Graded Packs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. But when your daughter AND your wife are diagnosed with Cancer, sometimes you don't have a choice. One day I'll get some of them back!

Edited: Thursday February 02, 2012 at 11:28 AM by Dboneesq

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 11:58 AM

<< nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since >>

I thought the heinerle was after 58? I knew it was one of his big early cards and thought about including it in my initial post but for some reason I thought it was 59 or 62. Could be wrong.

Bottom

simon2010

Thursday February 02, 2012 3:41 PM

<<

<< nice topic, pele rookie cards i think have great investment value but finding one in overall good condition is always hard to find, most the cards i have being looking at lately have bein way over priced,i picked up a few of his 1958 heinerle cards but nothing since >>

I thought the heinerle was after 58? I knew it was one of his big early cards and thought about including it in my initial post but for some reason I thought it was 59 or 62. Could be wrong.
>>

i myself taught it was from 59 untill i contacted the card makers in germany maybe about 2 years ago now and they came back to me saying the heinerle set with pele started production a few weeks before christmas 1958 and was stopped for the christmas holidays and started again early jan 1959,but they couldn say for sure when then the pele was printed,so maybe 1958 or was in later batch in early 1959.

im not so found of the pele rekord card as it lists edvaldo alves santarosa on the front of the card and we all know thats dida, but with peles picture ok i know it says pele also but to me i find this as an error card,i also had one but sold it a year ago

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Thursday February 02, 2012 6:39 PM

<< What about this thing: Titulares

I think the Alifabolaget is the best, but I too have only been able to afford the Panini.

As a side note, I sent my panini down to Brazil to get signed but got my card back unsigned with a signed photo included. The photo was personalized not a pre-print so I assume pele or a secretary signed it. Anyone know if he will sign trading cards? On SCN he's signed mostly photos.
>>

Great question. I have no idea what this is. This is the first time I've seen it. I guess the quigol is the one that is from 59. The Heinerle is a 58. So I think the Heinerle should bump the quigol.

Bottom

simon2010

Friday February 03, 2012 11:27 AM

<<

<< What about this thing: Titulares

>>

Great question. I have no idea what this is. This is the first time I've seen it. I guess the quigol is the one that is from 59. The Heinerle is a 58. So I think the Heinerle should bump the quigol.
>>

any idea what the heinerle is going for nowadays as i havnt seen one pop up in a while,,also in the heinerle set of the same year is a card with pele and the whole brazil team which is a nice looking card

Bottom

wrestlingcardking
Expert Collector

Friday February 03, 2012 12:04 PM

Great discussion, and a good read as I have always wanted to know about which card was the "rookie".

Visit my collection at www.myspace.com/wrestlingcardking. BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Bottom

hookem
Veteran

Friday February 03, 2012 12:58 PM

I have the Rekord Journal in my collection as his rookie card. (BVG 6) In addition, I recently sold a PSA Authentic for $125.

I am like you in that I plan on having the Alifabolaget as the replacement when a fair priced one comes up. I have had an eBay search set for several years and have not found a fair deal yet. I almost reached a deal on on of the astronomical BIN's but the seller was overseas and wanted to take it off eBay. I was not comfortable doing that with no tracking, etc.

Hook'em

Bottom

pmcollectour
Collector

Thursday February 09, 2012 1:54 PM

Pele rookie card and then some

Bottom

onebamafan
Collector

Thursday February 09, 2012 2:21 PM

" i do dis, i do dis, i do dis, goal" (Victory......bad movie, Stallone at 5'2 as the goalie! ) What?

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Tuesday March 27, 2012 7:03 PM

I guess this one should be added to the potential rookie card list. This is the first time I've seen this card. I have no idea if it sells for more or less than some of his other cards from 58. It looks like a pretty nice card to me. It might get my vote over the Alifabolaget since it was produced in brazil.

1958 Titulares Pele

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Near-Complete-Brazilian-Titulares-Set-with-Pele-/300685444454?pt=US_Soccer_Trading_Cards&hash=item46023fc566#ht_500wt_922

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Wednesday June 20, 2012 7:43 AM

I missed out a pretty nice auction yesterday for a 1958 Editora Aquarela. The entire album with an uncut sheet of cards sold for 200 bucks. The bottom of the sheet that had the pele card had a small amont of damage but the card was pretty clean for something from 1958 from brazil. I never knew how these cards came. It appears that they were issued as perforated sheets that were meant to be separated and put into the album. I'm pretty bummed I missed out a pretty good opportunity to get one of his cards from 1958 for less than 500 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item2c6608316f&item=190690373999&nma=true&pt=US_Soccer_Trading_Cards&rt=nc&si=qO0h3LH0gWF0JLlRAzoOl0VmDFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited: Wednesday June 20, 2012 at 8:17 AM by eagles33

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Wednesday June 20, 2012 9:09 PM

i just added a scan of another card from 1958 that i have never seen before.. i only own the panini card.. but i'm pretty interested in his cards from the 50s.. so decided to post some scans of the ones that i could find

Edited: Wednesday June 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM by eagles33

Bottom

Big80s
Collector

Wednesday June 20, 2012 9:29 PM

Congrats on the pickup, buddy! You'll have to post scans when it arrives.

My Virtual Dollar box: LINK
Jeff

Bottom

eagles33
Collector

Wednesday June 20, 2012 9:44 PM

I didn't win it.. I just noticed while searching ebay. I did bid on the uncut sheet though and dropped the ball on that one and lost it. I was board so decided to add some scans of the cards I talked about. The only card that I have is the panini but I would love to own any of the other ones.. I'm not ready to drop the money on one yet.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.