Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Quest for an Authentic 1991 O-Pee-Chee #333 Chipper Jones

(1/1/10) It's about that time. I'm going to start the quest to take a $2.75 or less purchase and flip it all the way to a really great Chipper Jones rookie card... any condition and back will do. It is going to be a long and arduous journey that will most assuredly take years, but it's all in good fun, and we have all the time in the world. First off, NOTHING will be set in stone. I can not give myself limitations. I need it to be an open ended project so as to keep it as simple and easy as possible for myself. I will start all the flips on eBay so the project can be tracked by any and all interested parties. I will also do my best to keep everything on eBay throughout the entire process, but it IS eBay and problems can certainly arise when dealing with them. I will most likely start off with BIN/Best Offers too, I just seem to do well with them. Clearly in the future, I will most likely be doing auctions as well, if only to keep the project rolling along steadily. Any and all help, advice and/or constructive criticism will be MUCH appreciated and I will do my best to keep things moving along at a pace worth keeping up with. I have not purchased my initial investment yet, but I will be scouring eBay for a deal starting now. Please remember that this is not a sprint, but a marathon... it WILL take time in-between buys/sells and I will not be posting progress until all purchased items are IN HAND and ready to be sold. And just so you all know, I will not be wasting my time with naysayers and/or negative Nancys, so please, don't even bother. This is ONLY for fun and profit and there is absolutely NO reason for arguments or negativity. For the record, this is not for charity, although if anything leads to a situation where that becomes a possibility, I will CERTAINLY consider it. This is for my own personal gain and for any future children I may have. I also know this will not be easy (nearly impossible) and I will not hesitate to ask for help with the decision making... I'm no genius. : ) With all that said, let the fun begin.

Here is photobucket to help anyone interested follow along.

Item #1 - Paid $2.74

Item #1 - SOLD $13.05 Net

Item #2 - Paid - $10.99

Item #2a - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2b - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2c - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2d - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #3 - Paid - $9.08 for 2

Item #3a - SOLD - $?

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your quest. This should be a very interesting and fun thread. Looking forward to seeing the first step.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Good Luck, I will enjoy monitoring your progress!
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good Luck, I will enjoy monitoring your progress! >>

Thank you very much. I will desperately NEED luck to ever complete this. lol
  • Options
    lol How perfect would it have been if I could start it off with this beauty.

Amazing Card

If I could make a profit on it, I definitely would.
  • Options
    SMR for a PSA 1 Wager is 300K.

All I can say is you better have patience, because turning $50 into 300K is not something even Madoff would dream of doing. As a matter of fact if you were able to make such a return on the original $50, you would be better off taking the last move before obtaining the Wagner and setting the money aside for retirement or to pay off your house. That would truly help out any future children you may have.

That being said, good luck and have fun.

Your best bet would be to accumulate money throough individual smaller sales and have the discipline to roll over all profits into a paypal account you will not touch. If you try to move up to bigger and better high dollar cards you may find yourself in a situation where one bad auction wipes out the entire proift accumulation of your efforts.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, this should be a great thread to follow...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

I think your quest will fail... take that as a challenge and prove me wrong. image

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    IIRC the Wagner only comes in 1 back.

150 sweet caporal.

I at least think it does.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>IIRC the Wagner only comes in 1 back.

150 sweet caporal.

Steve >>

I didn't know that. I figured they all had different backs. lol I'll take the Sweet Coporal then.
  • Options
    First bid is in... obviously no guarantees on winning though.
  • Options
    No, it does not work that way.

Some cards are on just certain backs.

Ted over net 54 has made a complete checklist.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Wagner has also been found in Piedmont.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry but I don't understand how you are going to do this. Are you going to sell things on ebay and then take the money buy more stuff, and then flip it for profit?

The reason why the guy with the house or the Mantle RC got so far was people were willing to bend over for them to help them out and give them basically free equity or money. I doubt Ebayers will be so generous.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    This thread should provide some entertainment for 2010, good luck with your quest.
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828

<< <i>IIRC the Wagner only comes in 1 back.

150 sweet caporal.

Steve >>

No
  • Options
    dude u should start w/ a felix potvin rookie card lol
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Good luck on your quest. It would take a long time, but I would still like to see the progress.

Do I think you can do it? Most likely not. But I'm sure you can get some nice collectibles along the way
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to discourage you, either.
    But my opinion you're starting too low and aiming too high.
    This would take many, many years of very good fortune in your trades and purchases.
    And in IMO it is not a possibility.
    But why don't you start with $100 and go for say, a '68 Ryan in PSA 8?
    You could actually do that in a matter of months - that would be interesting.
    Just my opinion.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, but I just don't think it's remotely possible.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Yeah it's gonna be tuff, but he claims he profits on every deal so it is possible.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah it's gonna be tuff, but he claims he profits on every deal so it is possible.

Steve >>

That's with BIN/Bets Offers. I will be doing a lot of auctions to keep things rolling, so there are no guarantees. I'm sure I'll break even or even lose out on some stuff.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The phone ringing is Ebay calling begging you to go for it. According to my gross miscalculations, assuming you pull a net profit of 20% on the sale of every purchase you make, and being able to buy a Wagner at some point for about $220,000, the sum of all the individual purchases necessary to hit that will be about $1.2 million. The sum of all the individual sales will be about $1.5 million. When the last cards sells on Ebay you'll have about $220,000 to buy your Wagner. Over that time Ebay and PayPal collected fees on about $2.75 million in sales you were involved in. Good luck.
  • Options
    Paypal fees on 2.75 mil is $79,750 !! Wow.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the taxes you'll have to pay on the income. You will end up a PowerSeller somewhere along the line if the flipping works well, and there's no good way to hide that from the IRS.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>The phone ringing is Ebay calling begging you to go for it. According to my gross miscalculations, assuming you pull a net profit of 20% on the sale of every purchase you make, and being able to buy a Wagner at some point for about $220,000, the sum of all the individual purchases necessary to hit that will be about $1.2 million. The sum of all the individual sales will be about $1.5 million. When the last cards sells on Ebay you'll have about $220,000 to buy your Wagner. Over that time Ebay and PayPal collected fees on about $2.75 million in sales you were involved in. Good luck. >>

I am not so sure how you derived your numbers, but if he is looking at a multimillion dollar venture, that almost be default needs to become a full time enterprise if he wants to do it in any reasonable amount of time.

I think Sportscardtheory's first move should be setting up a LLC.
  • Options
    I really wish you all the luck in the world. I believe, however, you will tire of the quest after some time and abandon it. But it should be fun for a while
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    highly overrated and overvalued card, i bet you don't get 10% of the way there... $20k expendable for cards.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    you might as well gamble your way there- for $50, buy a 1983T (or Fleer) vending box. you have 5 key cards: Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn, Ripken, Ryan. if one or two come back PSA9 or 10, you are ahead. or buy a factory set with a few key cards and do the same (83D, 85D, two 87D, or 89UD).... you should still have enough money left to submit a few..... but, there are some real steals out there on Ebay. Some hard work lies ahead to successfully buy/flip, buy/flip.....
  • Options

<< <i>you might as well gamble your way there- for $50, buy a 1983T (or Fleer) vending box. you have 5 key cards: Boggs, Sandberg, Gwynn, Ripken, Ryan. if one or two come back PSA9 or 10, you are ahead. or buy a factory set with a few key cards and do the same (83D, 85D, two 87D, or 89UD).... you should still have enough money left to submit a few..... but, there are some real steals out there on Ebay. Some hard work lies ahead to successfully buy/flip, buy/flip...... >>

Tell me about it. I am having a hard time finding item number one. Normally I can daily spend more than I have... but now that I started this I can't find anything. lol
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    The only way I see this working is if you google "how to make meth" and go shopping.
  • Options
    I finally won my first item. I will post the won item and the new listing as soon as it arrives and I create the listing. Let's just say my initial investment is far less than I was expecting.
  • Options

<< <i>I finally won my first item. I will post the won item and the new listing as soon as it arrives and I create the listing. Let's just say my initial investment is far less than I was expecting. >>

You were talking about starting at $50. If you go any lower, you will get your Wagner come retirement.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    It aint a sprint...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    This should be interesting.

I personally believe that it is impossible, however i am pulling for you. I will read this thread on a regular basis and looking foward as to how you fare.

Best of luck to you!
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I finally won my first item. I will post the won item and the new listing as soon as it arrives and I create the listing. Let's just say my initial investment is far less than I was expecting. >>

You were talking about starting at $50. If you go any lower, you will get your Wagner come retirement. >>

I did say $50 or under. Is $2.74 under $50? lol I hope this purchase works out.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the well wishes. For all the nay-saying Cheerios pissers (which I knew there would be), I'll post what I said to someone in another forum. "What's the difference how high I set my goal. If I get to $5,000, did I fail."
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I appreciate all the well wishes. For all the nay-saying Cheerios pissers (which I knew there would be), I'll post what I said to someone in another forum. "What's the difference how high I set my goal. If I get to $5,000, did I fail." >>

Yes.
  • Options
    Have you figured the price of the card by the time you get the cash possible?
  • Options

<< <i>Have you figured the price of the card by the time you get the cash possible? >>

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you figured the price of the card by the time you get the cash possible? >>

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. image >>

I think I read something about the neighborhood of $300K. Will the card be available for $300K when you have the cash?
  • Options

<< <i>

Everytime a Wagner goes for sale it seems to go for more than the last auction, meaning your total fund goal will be constantly changing and may be possible to keep up with.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I sold a bunch of my old rare heavy metal cds from when I worked at a radio station and used that and my MTG collection to fund a purchase of a Malcolm Young Model Gretsch guitar.

I can see someone doing that but even if you were flipping houses on ebay you would have a hard time coming up with a quarter million very quickly, let alone sports cards.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think I read something about the neighborhood of $300K. Will the card be available for $300K when you have the cash? >>

Why would it matter. The point is to flip until I get it. The cost is of no importance, really.
  • Options
    For me a difference of $300K to $500K would be a big deal.
  • Options

<< <i>For me a difference of $300K to $500K would be a big deal. >>

It's a big deal if I'm close. It's not a big deal right now. I am not going to waste my time thinking that far ahead. It's one transaction at a time.
  • Options

<< <i>

It's a big deal if I'm close. It's not a big deal right now. I am not going to waste my time thinking that far ahead. It's one transaction at a time. >>

I got to see this first $2.75 item you are going to flip. At least post a picture of your win.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It's a big deal if I'm close. It's not a big deal right now. I am not going to waste my time thinking that far ahead. It's one transaction at a time. >>

I got to see this first $2.75 item you are going to flip. At least post a picture of your win. >>

Not until I receive it. I will post the eBay listing and my new listing ASAP. I think I'm going to start with a BIN/Best Offer... although I could change my mind.
  • Options
    << Have you figured the price of the card by the time you get the cash possible? >>

Good luck on this quest. I think you can do it because deflation will be your best friend for the next decade Japanese style and I think by the time it comes to buy the Wagner the card will be about 200K instead of 300K
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    buying/selling cards for profit?

great idea!!

good luck with your quest! image
    Matt