Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Technically Darkside exonumia, but I thought you might like this newp because it is colonial-era AND

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

These French jetons are often surprisingly inexpensive. One sees some spectacular ones from the 19th century, but I had to have this early 18th century example when I saw the toning and the reasonably modest price. Not too long ago, I briefly had another like it with the same Louis XV bust but a different reverse. If memory serves, they're roughly half-dollar sized. Big silver with nice toning and some history to it? Why not! With some negotiation, I got the price down below 150 bucks. Compare that with what even a common Walking Liberty half with similar toning would go for, and the fact that this piece is 275 years old. I think you can see why it was a no-brainer for me.

The icing on the cake here is that in addition to the wonderful toning, this one is already in a PCGS slab with a TrueView. I wouldn't have known they graded these. I’ve seen them in NGC plastic, but not PCGS.

FRANCE. Louis XV. Circa 1740 (ND) AR Jeton. PCGS AU58. Feuardent 13203.

I have not yet done my homework on the allegorical significance of that cloud chariot, but I will. Love the design.

Downside? I can't really see any, except it just missed being Mint State. And it's undated. But collecting ancient and medieval coins, ones soon gets over the need to see an actual date on the coin, if it's datable within a narrow enough timeframe, which this apparently is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it a lot. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I DO like that! image
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding piece, thanks for posting
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Very nice image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Nice piece!

We have a guy in my coin club who collects 18th century French jetons - they're quite well produced and attractive.

I think they're much nicer to look at than the contemporary French coins.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I may have been tempted by that one recently.
    Congrats on a great looking piece.
  • Options

<< <i>I think they're much nicer to look at than the contemporary French coins. >>

Indeed they are. One can often say this when comparing exonumia (medals, jetons, SC$) to the coins produced for commerce in any given era.

I wonder why this is? Perhaps the designs of the medals, jetons, etc weren't feasible for mass production?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that looks fantastic. I especially like how the reverse toning compliments the design.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice big silver.... one reason I enjoy darkside coins.... big silver at reasonable prices...I have mainly old German silver...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I have not yet done my homework on the allegorical significance of that cloud chariot, but I will. Love the design.

I wonder if those are meant to be clouds or just clouds of dust?
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord M, PCGS tells me that this PCGS #545000 is a pop 1 in all grades -- yours! I can't think of a nicer one to represent the design. Congratulations on an übercool snag.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Lord M very cool and a serious looker. Could this have been seen in the colonies given it's heritage?
  • Options
    George- thanks! I hadn't looked at pops. Wouldn't have expected too many graded, in any event, but pop 1 in ALL grades is neat!

Dean- the Bourbon French monarchy being as highfalutin' as they were, I think it's a safe bet that this is a celestial sort of cloud chariot along mythological lines, rather than some farm wife whipping her nags down a dusty road to the town market! image

But now that you mention it, it does kinda look a bit like dust.

Christos- given its age, it COULD have been in the colonies. Even COULD have been brought home by Ben Franklin or Thomas Jefferson.

But those are rather long odds. It might not have crossed the Atlantic until the 21st century.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    DANG DARK side,,image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a cool coin on a numbe of different levels image
  • Options
    O.K. you got me curious.
    A quick search yields many references to Aurora or "the dawn" riding a chariot above the clouds, holding a candle to light the way.
  • Options

<< <i>O.K. you got me curious.
    A quick search yields many references to Aurora or "the dawn" riding a chariot above the clouds, holding a candle to light the way. >>

Now THAT makes sense! image

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty coin.
    Larry

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    "Chariots of Fire"

I love it.....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exceptional piece! But I have to say, I bet they had some doubts with the design, no-one rides a Chariot, especially a lady, like depicted on this coin, no way! Unless, of course, she's wearing a seat belt. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice Rob...thanks for sharing! It is a really attractive piece and a great historical item.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. Can't believe it was so cheap!
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Well, it's in hand now and looks great.

Atlas Numismatics has me as a happy customer, and were a class act all the way.

• Options
    Great LordM.... super when a coin is received and is as expected... sometimes this

is not the case. You got a real nice one there... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cool piece

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully will see it at the library later in the month! image
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    Wow

I'm hooked!

Any books cataloging this subject
  • Options
    Originally posted by: unclebob

Wow

I'm hooked!

Any books cataloging this subject

Well, there is that Feuardent reference, which I don't have (and which is probably in French?)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cool way to spend $150!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ricko

Great LordM.... super when a coin is received and is as expected... sometimes this

is not the case. You got a real nice one there... Cheers, RickO

When even the guy who hates "tarnish" likes your coin, you've accomplished something. image

(This post constitutes a thread resurrection, but hopefully nobody will mind this one coming out into the sunlight again briefly.)

• Options
    Great to see that coin again LordM....it is one I would have purchased had I seen it at a coin show... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an attractive coin!
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    That's a cool coin on a number of different levels image

Almost a year later and my opinion remains the same. (except I can correct a typo ) image
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it!

Tom

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of Darkside coinage, but this one does have STYLE!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Great jeton, lm. Really cool piece.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice eye candy LordM!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It proves that prior to the invention of the bicycle it was also cool to ride a chariot with no hands image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive piece.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

It proves that prior to the invention of the bicycle it was also cool to ride a chariot with no hands image

LOL.

Well, in Aurora's defense, it does sort of appear that she's sitting down, at least. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file