Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
United States: gold 5-dollar half-eagle, Liberty Head type, 1842-D (small date)

Obverse: Liberty head in coronet facing left.

Reverse: Heraldic eagle, olive branch in right talon, three arrows in left, Dahlonega "D" mintmark below.

PCGS VF30 with CAC green sticker, cert. #11588556. Ex-Michael Kittle Rare Coins, 3/15/14. (Sticker on back of slab indicates prior provenance to Douglas Winter Numismatics.)

This was a really big-ticket purchase on my modest income. It cost more than twice the cost of my previous largest coin purchase in 38 years of collecting. In fact, it cost as much or more than many of the clunker cars I've driven over the years! I live in Georgia, and this will be my first coin from the Dahlonega Mint. I previously had owned one Charlotte mint gold dollar (with a hole obscuring half the mintmark), but that's it for the scarce C- and D-mint Southern gold.

This coin technically belongs to my daughter, Victoria. Since she decided she's not into coin collecting, I sold her 1901 Victoria British Empire type set and put most of the proceeds into this coin, which I may sell ten or twelve years down the road, when she needs college textbooks or a wedding dress, or something like that. Until then, she's given me permission to reinvest and "play with" her collection proceeds.

Obviously a midgrade circulated example of this coin is all we could afford. Mr. Kittle also had a Charlotte mint coin of similar grade on his website at the time I bought this, but this was the coin that spoke to me. I liked the orangey toning on it, and think it is a nice circulated example. Obviously CAC (Certified Acceptance Corporation) approved of it, too. This is my first CAC verified coin with the little "green bean" sticker on the label, which, though nice, doesn't really mean much to me personally.

Miscellaneous links:

Larger image

PCGS cert verification page

PCGS priceguide trends

PCGS/Photograde standards

Numismedia priceguide trends

CAC verification page (copy & paste cert. # 11588556 into the search box to look up this coin)

Wikipedia links:

Dahlonega Mint

Half Eagle

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    posted to wrong thread
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK by me...worth seeing a second time... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still a fan of the coin also.
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every good ol' Georgia Coin Collector needs a good ol' Georgia "DOG".image Congrats on your fine acquisition.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭
    Congratulations. I'm going to bet that you really enjoy owning the coin...
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a nice original coin. Definitely better than that the scrubbed up pieces that get called AU or even Unc.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, tons of actual history in commerce (the stories of the people who have spent it) and then a second life as a collector's item.

Congrats on a coin that is in a lot of ways more interesting than a high grade specimen that saw less action.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the coin, and I think it's a great addition to your set. (Which I have to admit I've clicked on a couple times a week to admire!)
    Nice purchases lately!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats again on the coin! It's a cool one and I'm glad it's going back home to Georgia! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file