Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HockeyAutoCollector's signed rookies (Updated: Many new additions)

Hey all,

I decided to start on a new endeavor in my autograph collecting. Most of you know that I usually deal with autographs of deceased hockey hall of famers and have them made into custom cards for my collection. Lately I have gotten to the point where it is difficult to pick up autographs for my collection, so I have decided to start collecting signed rookies of HOF players and a few future HOFers. I am starting by wanting to obtain the autographs of the 50 greatest living players, but I am sure I will stray from that somewhat. I was also inspired by Mike Navarro's thread, but knew I would only want to focus on hockey.

I will try to update this as I get some in. Here are the first batch of 4 that I have received back and scanned. These were all PSA crack outs and then either signed at a signing or TTM.

And two of the greatest players to ever play

Thanks
Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    woah! I heard Orr doesn't sign his rookie!

Great project, I look forward to seeing more great signatures!

• Options

<< <i>woah! I heard Orr doesn't sign his rookie!

Great project, I look forward to seeing more great signatures! >>

Orr will sign them, for the right price.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    The Orr and Howe are mindblowing!!! WTG
  • Options
    Just got these two back in the mail

Stan Mikita is known to be hit or miss signing TTM, so I was very happy to see this one come back.

imageimage

Dickie Moore broke Gordie Howe's single season point record in the 58-59 season and ended up having the second highest point total in the pre-expansion era. He wrote a nice note and mentioned that the name and date of birth on the back of the cards were wrong and actually the information for his brother. He corrected it on the back of the card and initialed, which I thought was pretty cool.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Orr will sign them, for the right price. >>

Which is....?
    Does he do it through his web-site?
    While I don't have the rookie card (anymore), I would like to get the HHOF Legends postcard signed.

Regards, Paul
  • Options
    Great Bobby Orr Rookie that has been worth some serious dough. The Gordie is pretty nice as well. That Bobby Orr is definitely something you don't see every day. That is perhaps the crown jewel to any hockey hall of fame autograph collection.The card has be a $1,500 the minimum, most likely well over $2,000 slabbed. Heck the card alone is $800 to $1000. Plus you got Stan Mikita TTM was he free? Mikita is one of the most unreliable signers TTM.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Orr will sign them, for the right price. >>

Which is....?
    Does he do it through his web-site?
    While I don't have the rookie card (anymore), I would like to get the HHOF Legends postcard signed.

Regards, Paul >>

He will sign most cards through his website for $125/card. His rookie card he charges 4x that. Pretty ridiculous, but it was definitely an essential one for my collection.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Great Bobby Orr Rookie that has been worth some serious dough. The Gordie is pretty nice as well. That Bobby Orr is definitely something you don't see every day. That is perhaps the crown jewel to any hockey hall of fame autograph collection.The card has be a $1,500 the minimum, most likely well over $2,000 slabbed. Heck the card alone is $800 to $1000. Plus you got Stan Mikita TTM was he free? Mikita is one of the most unreliable signers TTM. >>

Mikita does not sign for free, or at least that is what I hear. I heard he charges anywhere from $25-40 for his signature through the mail. I sent $40 and was happy to get the card back.

Orr's card is definitely the highlight of my signed rookie card collection. Overall, I would say my Hobey Baker or Georges Vezina autographs are the highlights of my autograph collection.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    nice Stosh.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    MORE!!!!!

please.

nice stuff.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. Nice collection, too!
  • Options
    Hobey Baker and Veznia, wow. Hobey Baker is super rare and certainly the rarest Big Name Hockey Hall of Famer. Do you have Dryden on his rookie, he is the toughest living Player and the next toughest is probably George Armstrong for some reason. I don't know why George Armstrong is so tough?
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Dryden will sign TTM but he will personalize your card.
  • Options

<< <i>Hobey Baker and Veznia, wow. Hobey Baker is super rare and certainly the rarest Big Name Hockey Hall of Famer. Do you have Dryden on his rookie, he is the toughest living Player and the next toughest is probably George Armstrong for some reason. I don't know why George Armstrong is so tough? >>

Armstrong supposedly will not sign for anyone now. Not TTM or in person, don't know what led him to that.

Here is my Dryden. I picked it up about a month ago on eBay.

Also, if anyone wants to check out the Baker, Vezina, or any other of autographs in my custom card collection just use the link in my signature line.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here are my two new additions TTM:

Marcel charges $10/autograph, but was also nice enough to include a signed postcard when he returned my card. I met Marcel when I was about 12 at a local rink and was definitely glad to add this one to my collection.

And the "Broad Street Bullies" captain, Bobby Clarke.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    That is a great Dryden! The Hobey Baker is also amazing. The whole collection is really something. I bet you can count on one hand the people that have all those autographs.
  • Options
    After a slow week, here is my latest TTM success:

11-time Stanley Cup winner, Henri Richard. He also included a nice signed Molson Export card. A great TTM signer!

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice collection.
  • Options
    Another TTM success today.

HOF Guy Lafleur, one of the few guys in my search that I actually got to see play.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    LaFleur, Richard, and Clark have always been great TTM signers.

Dionne just recently (within the past three years) charges for his TTMs -- I think the money goes to charity?

I missed out on a Bossy signing in October, so if you hear of one please let me know. There is a PSA/DNA one on eBay at the moment (I don't know the seller).

I got a two Billy Smith TTMs back in the mail Monday after a 12 month wait image

Very cool so far!
  • Options
    Not that you need any help, but here is a nice place with a lot of HOFers on a regular basis.

They will spam the heck out of your email though.

Toronto Card Show - Frank Mahovlich
  • Options

<< <i>LaFleur, Richard, and Clark have always been great TTM signers.

Dionne just recently (within the past three years) charges for his TTMs -- I think the money goes to charity?

I missed out on a Bossy signing in October, so if you hear of one please let me know. There is a PSA/DNA one on eBay at the moment (I don't know the seller).

I got a two Billy Smith TTMs back in the mail Monday after a 12 month wait image

Very cool so far! >>

I am not sure if Dionne's fee goes toward any charity. I know for guys like Flaman and Schmidt the money goes toward cancer research.

I missed the Bossy signing too. I picked up a signed one on eBay about a month ago. The auto is sort of small, so I may look for another one. The seller who currently has one up I have bought from before, Billy Smith and Denis Potvin signed rookies if I remember correctly. I will let you know if I see another Bossy signing come up.

Did you get Smith's rookie card signed TTM? The reason I bought one already signed is that someone told me he doesn't sign them anymore.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Not that you need any help, but here is a nice place with a lot of HOFers on a regular basis.

Toronto Card Show - Frank Mahovlich >>

They have my Mahovlich rookie up there right now waiting to get signed.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not that you need any help, but here is a nice place with a lot of HOFers on a regular basis.

Toronto Card Show - Frank Mahovlich >>

They have my Mahovlich rookie up there right now waiting to get signed. >>

image very cool.

Yes, the Billy Smith was a TTM - Here it is (I covered my address with a lighter version of the foil above because it didn't scan well).

I sent this out December 2009...didn't expect to see it come back to be honest.

• Options
    Will you be looking to get Tretiak?

If so, do you know what is considered his rookie?
  • Options

<< <i>Will you be looking to get Tretiak?

If so, do you know what is considered his rookie? >>

I would like to get Tretiak, but I am not 100% sure what I would consider his rookie. I believe there is a 1979 Panini sticker, but I don't know what else there is besides that. I was thinking about trying to pick up the sticker to send to him but haven't found one yet.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Good Monday for autograph returns. I got back my Glenn Hall and Marcel Pronovost rookies from AJ Sportsworld. They were signed at the Toronto Expo last month. I also received John Bucyk and Edgar Laprade back TTM.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    1951 Parkhurst Red Kelly RC - TTM

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Here is today's haul:

1951 Bill Gadsby - TTM
    1952 Leo Boivin - TTM
    1974 Bob Gainey - eBay
    1981 Jari Kurri - eBay

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    1973 Larry Robinson - TTM.

Hopefully he can help my team turn it around this year, but it doesn't look good so far.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Two more successes today.

Bobby Hull - signed TTM
    Tony Esposito - signed at show last weekend

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Awesome Hull, I've been wanting one of those for awhile now, but I'm too cheap to shell out the funds for the raw card.

Mike
  • Options
    Very nice Hull indeed, I wouldn't send that one TTM, you have guts image

I sent T. Esposito a sticker for my '81 set and he sent it back unsigned. I tried once more, this time with a check for $20 -- he cashed it and sent the sticker back signed.

• Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    great stuff sean. keep it going and thanks for posting.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. I was a bit worried about getting this one back, but Hull has been signing a decent amount TTM since the Hawks won the Cup. He has also been doing a ton a shows lately, though I found that out after I sent the card out. I thought it was nice that he added the #16, which is the number he wore his first 4 seasons in the league.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    This is my favourite thread!

Love the autos...keep them coming.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

<< <i>This is my favourite thread!

Love the autos...keep them coming.

mathew >>

Thanks Mathew, I appreciate it!

Here is the latest addition. This was signed at a private signing put on through his company last month and I got it back in the mail today.

Wayne Gretzky

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Two in the mail today.

Phil Esposito - signed at a show this past weekend put on by Sportsworld in MA
    Dave Keon - TTM

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Saturday brought another good day and an end to a good week of getting autographs back in the mail. Here was today's take, all TTM:

Eddie Giacomin - Mr. Giacomin and Rod Gilbert coached a clinic that I took part in about 20 years ago (when I was 12). Definitely one of the more memorable childhood experiences and I was happy to get this one back. Sent $10, but he added an additional HOF card that he personalized.

Ted Lindsay - signed my rookie card and sent additional postcard.

Dick Duff - signed my rookie card and added an additional signed photo. Also wrote a note that I shared the same name as his good friend.

Alex Devecchio - signed my card and replied to my questions in the letter I sent. Sent $10.

Gilbert Perreault- sent $10

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Sean,

You are blowing through these quickly!! How many more do you have that are still on your wantllist?

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Sean,

You are blowing through these quickly!! How many more do you have that are still on your wantllist?

Mike >>

Mike,

My initial goal, once I started to actually do this, was to collect the top 50 living players from the 100 greatest players list that the Hockey News put out in 1998, minus Eric Lindros. Since then I have decided to collect every living player off that list, plus about another 40 or so names, including all of the living HOFers from the 1951 Parkhurst list. So I am definitely on my way, but still have some to go. As of right now, I believe I have another 14 out for TTM, another 10 or so for signings, and the only a couple I need to figure out how to track down.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options

<< <i>
    My initial goal, once I started to actually do this, was to collect the top 50 living players from the 100 greatest players list that the Hockey News put out in 1998, minus Eric Lindros. Since then I have decided to collect every living player off that list, plus about another 40 or so names, including all of the living HOFers from the 1951 Parkhurst list. So I am definitely on my way, but still have some to go. As of right now, I believe I have another 14 out for TTM, another 10 or so for signings, and the only a couple I need to figure out how to track down. >>

Sean,

Since we didn't have NHL teams in Dallas when I was young, or much tv coverage either, I didn't follow the game that closely and typically my exposure was limited to watching the US in Olympic hockey. That being said, I might be asking a question that has an obvious answer, but why were you excluding Eric Lindros??

Take care,

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>
    Sean,

Since we didn't have NHL teams in Dallas when I was young, or much tv coverage either, I didn't follow the game that closely and typically my exposure was limited to watching the US in Olympic hockey. That being said, I might be asking a question that has an obvious answer, but why were you excluding Eric Lindros??

Take care,

Mike >>

Personally, I didn't think Lindros deserved to be on the list of the top 100 players ever. In 1998, his career was going pretty well, but after that he went downhill with his concussions and such. So, at least in my opinion, he was a good player, could have been great without injuries, but because of the concussions, he didn't live up to expectations.
    Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    If he stayed with Quebec instead of crying his way to Philadelphia maybe he could have been a part of one of the cup teams.
  • Options
    One more today.

Fern Flaman - TTM

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Three new ones today:

Frank Mahovlich - signed at Toronto Card Show 12/12
    Yvan Cournoyer - TTM. Definitely excited to get this one back. Cournoyer has not been signing much through the mail lately, either sending back the cards or adding one of his own Molson Export cards. I was lucky enough to get my rookie card signed!
    Dino Ciccarelli - signed at Max Sports show in MN 12/19

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Today's mail brought:

Bill Barber - TTM. Quite possibly one of the ugliest cards, but I am glad to cross another one off my list.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    I hope everyone had a great New Years!

My first TTM of the year is from Michel Goulet.

Thanks
    Sean

The Broderick Collection
  • Options
    Wow...just went through this thread again. Amazing collection.

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies