Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Liberty Dollars - Potential seizure as contraband

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
From a CoinWorld email ... interesting.

"Federal officials now say that Liberty Dollars may be subject to seizure as "contraband."

The U.S. Attorney's Office that prosecuted NORFED founder Bernard von NotHaus states that individuals owning Liberty Dollars could have them confiscated, even if they are just holding them in their collection or displaying them for educational purposes, a reversal of earlier comments from the same office. In addition, a U.S. Secret Service official stated that while he could not offer a formal ruling, he suggested that Secret Service agents would be duty-bound to confiscate the medallions once marketed as an alternative currency before the arrest and conviction of von NotHaus on federal charges, including counterfeiting.

Concerns about the possible confiscation of the medallions led ANA officials to reject a collector's request to exhibit his collection of Liberty Dollars during the recently concluded ANA World's Fair of Money."

There appears to be a full article in the current issue of CoinWorld (sorry, no link).
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    And with this they're going to actually drive up demand for these.

Fun stuff.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Long may it wave eh?
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Let the melting begin!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe they are afraid of these things.

they pursue these way more agressively than the imported fakes.

at least the NORFEDs are easy to know what they represent.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I can't believe they are afraid of these things.

>>

"They" are not "afraid" of anything. They are in control and can do almost anything they want. They are showing who is boss.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Geez, Big Bro is quite the drama queen.

Now I want one. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I invested in these:

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't believe they are afraid of these things. >>

"They" are not "afraid" of anything......... >>

.........except the next election.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    what is there to fear?

they seem to take turns being in and out of office.

it's not like either is going to be defunct anytime soon.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Quick Fix:

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad I invested in these:

image >>

Those are next. Mickey is a threat, a terrorist actually.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might make them more desirable and/or induce people to dump or melt them.

One obvious move is to pressure ebay to ban the listing of Liberty Dollars.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The federal goverment has nothing better to do than seize silver bullion.

And some wounder where tax payers money goes to?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>Quick Fix:

image >>

That would fix not only the short term but long term financial ailments of this place for sureimage
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    LINK
    if you don't know what this thread is about....I didn't.

-Keith
  • Options
    Just bought a half oz silver RP

You bought this item
    Half Oz 999 2010 Ron Paul Norfed
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the link, because I was clueless what it meant.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Guess I won't be using the Langfords' attorney, but I will be calling Ron Paul as an expert witness for the defense.

next thing you know they'll be wanting my '33 double eagle.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Hmm seems like the Liberty Dollar is at least backed up by something. Can't say much for the monopoly money will are now printing.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quick Fix:

image >>

that might very well sum it up
  • Options
    Agree that this will only make them more valuable---the forbidden fruit always seems to taste better. If Ron Paul wasn't running for president against B.O., it's unlikely anyone in the government would have cared.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold mine and sure hope the feds don't try using waterboarding techniques to force me into telling them who I sold it to. image
  • Options
    I think the bottom will fall out on price, especially on ebay, as everyone scrambles to get rid of them. Most of them were purchased well below current melt. I'm a buyer at below melt.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a link to the Coin World article on the homepage of Coinflation.

Glen Kessler, assistant special agent in charge in North Carolina for the U.S. Secret Service, said we'll know more in a few weeks.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess I won't be using the Langfords' attorney, but I will be calling Ron Paul as an expert witness for the defense.

next thing you know they'll be wanting my '33 double eagle. >>

or my 64 Peace $ from Daniel Carimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>I think the bottom will fall out on price, especially on ebay, as everyone scrambles to get rid of them. Most of them were purchased well below current melt. I'm a buyer at below melt. >>

I'd take a chance on one at below melt, too.

interesting piece of exonumic history. but I'm not interested in paying any significant premium for one.

• Options
    Millions of illegal aliens in this country slip through their fingers and they worry about something that actually has value.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that is why i buy legal coins made by the US mint, not by some person or company that isn't permitted to mint by the govt

this way i don't have any legal issues to worry about

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    GABGAB Posts: 641
    Yep,
    They chase this stuff for thirty years, then retire, with a full pension. What a job!

Who pays for this?
    Golf time!!
  • Options

<< <i>that is why i buy legal coins made by the US mint, not by some person or company that isn't permitted to mint by the govt

this way i don't have any legal issues to worry about >>

That's what Izzy thought when he bought those ten double eagles in 1933.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Ron Paul is elected President...do you think the witchhunt will cease?
  • Options

<< <i>If Ron Paul is elected President...do you think the witchhunt will cease? >>

Yes. He may even make these legal tender.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file