Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's September 2016 LONG BEACH COIN SHOW REPORT w/Lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Another Long Beach Show has come and gone. Once again, Taryn and the rest of the Expos staff did a great job putting everything together. The only glitch that I saw was that we weren't allowed to drive into the loading dock area until right at noon which meant no one could unload and have their material ready when the doors opened at noon. In the past, the driving dealers would be able to go up to the loading dock, unload, move their car, let other cars onto the dock, and many of us were ready and waiting at the door when it opened at noon. So even though we were in line before 11am, we didn’t get onto the bourse floor until after 1pm. Still, we had plenty of time to set up, peruse the bourse, buy coins, and reconnect with friends.

As a warning, if you’re looking for a more coin-oriented report, you may want to stop reading right here, as this show report will be more coin PEOPLE oriented!

So as I mentioned, I arrived just before 11am to wait in line outside the loading dock area. The street behind the convention center is full of construction which had already begun during the June show. So the entrance to the parking lot behind the loading area was once again blocked off and you had to enter at a further away entrance.

This is the line of cars waiting to enter the loading dock. I was about 8 cars away from the first car.

After I got into the bourse, me and my booth helpers quickly got to work setting up my booth. And here I am already for business!

Then I was able to find several nice pennies for my inventory.

It’s hard to see in this cellphone photo and these photos do not do it justice, but this 1914-D has the most gorgeous violet magenta toning I have ever seen on a 1914-D!

After the setup, we went to our usual Wednesday night restaurant, Café Piccolo’s, where we bring our own wine. These are the bottles of wine we had.

This is my favorite dish, spicy goat cheese chicken!

Ron Guth (PCGS) and Karl Stephens (you may remember, Karl was the one responsible for notifying security who tackled and caught the thieves at the last Long Beach show).

Me and Joanne (you’ll notice I didn’t take this blurry picture!)

Thursday was pretty busy and I didn’t get around to take any photos, but of course we had some nice wine in the afternoon. Our fun and fantastic booth neighbors brought me these two bottles.

but after the show PCGS had a “thank you” reception for PCGS dealers. It was a really nice event and was great socializing with everyone.

The event was held at the Federal Bar which is a restaurant at an old gorgeous bank building right across the street from the convention center on Pine.

Sandy and David at the reception table

My dear friend Rich, me and another good friend James Sego

Another couple dealer friends

John (CRO), Michael, Jay and Scott Griffin

Jeff Garrett and his beautiful wife Mary Lynn

More dealer friends

Saundra and Jack Beymer

Me with Don Willis, Taryn and another beautiful Expos rep (I can’t remember her name).

Some of the younger folks!

Ron Guth!

Me and Walt Ankerman

Lou Rasera and Don Ketterling

And last, but by no means least, guess who’s back!!!!

Yep, it’s NINA!!! She is now working at Kagin’s as their Auction Coordinator!!

This is the special coin they gave to each of us!

After the reception, we went across the street to King Fish House for dinner.

They had these cute corny napkin jokes

Karl brought this delicious white wine

Marcelle (who is from Sweden) brought this amazingly delicious red wine

I originally hadn’t planned to join them for dinner so I was unprepared and had to order a bottle of wine off the menu. Justin is always a trustworthy tasty wine.

Friday started out a bit slowly but soon picked up, so I was kept busy. I did manage to walk around the bourse and take a few photos. This is the Collectors Corner Coin Search table where you can locate specific coins from dealers who participate.

This is the kids’ Pirate Treasure Hunt table

My beautiful buddy Nina stopped by my table.

These adorable little boys spent a lot of time picking out some pennies for their collection.

I found another very cool Indian cent error at the show. I’m curious what you folks think it will grade.

Once things died down on Friday afternoon, I opened this bottle of Syrah that I had brought to share.

Friday night on Pine Street is a happening place!

And so was the King Fish House restaurant where we again went to dinner. We had reservations, but ran into several groups of dealers there too. This is Jeff Shevlin and company!

When we were there Thursday night I had filet, but Friday night I had their fantastic macadamia nut crusted halibut.

Our group

I was prepared for this wine tasting with this very good bottle of Hall, but my booth buddy Rich outdid everyone with his fantastic bottle of Opus One!

We shared this yummy butter cake for dessert

Saturday was surprisingly busy at the show. Even though the front of the room became a ghost town pretty early, the middle and back of the room seemed maintain quite a steady flow of traffic.

Soon, once again, it was time to pack up and head home. My hubby’s best friend (the one who called me when Lou had his accident) was having a surprise 50th birthday party Saturday night and I had to get home so I could get ready for it. They had hired a party bus for 35 people and they were picking us up at our house.

We had a blast and it was good to see Lou having so much fun too!

Lou and the birthday boy Jeff

And of course, I couldn’t end my report without a shot of my little Penny!

And as an added “treat,” this is Penny’s beautiful but mean older sister Sierra who hates it when Penny chases her around the house.

So that’s it folks. Overall it was a decent show, but I think attendance suffered since it was so close to the Anaheim ANA. But as always, I really enjoyed being around coins and all my coin friends.

Next up:

Northern California Numismatic Association’s Symposium in Vallejo, California, this weekend, where I’m one of the presenters. Then the Las Vegas Coin Show at the Westgate the following weekend.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I couldn't make it (harder to travel with my little 2 year old) but if we did we would fit right in with our appetites at that king fish restaurant (great looking menu!)

I always enjoyed the long Beach show and hope to maybe attend one next year.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another very nice report. Too bad I missed all the dinners. That's what happens when you watch a bunch of 1794 cents sell in the auction room.

To everyone else: Be sure to chime in on the 1868 double struck cent.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report as usual charmy. I too went to kings Thursday night with some vam buddies. I usually get their spectacular Alaskan king crab legs but went with the softshell this time. Equally amazing. That place is the catfish's meow of seafood!
    The more you VAM..
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ThePennyLady

Soon, once again, it was time to pack up and head home. My hubby’s best friend (the one who called me when Lou had his accident) was having a surprise 50th birthday party Saturday night and I had to get home so I could get ready for it. They had hired a party bus for 35 people and they were picking us up at our house.

We had a blast and it was good to see Lou having so much fun too!

Thanks again for another great show report. That parting "Party Bus" photo brought back memories. This is me, as an extra, exiting a "Party Bus" on an episode of Hawaii Five-0. (The Halloween themed episode from Season 4 - Episode 6 titled "Kupouli'la [Broken]).

LINK TO VIDEO CLIP CONTAINING THE PARTY BUS SCENE:

Video Clip including the Party Bus scenes

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seem to be a lot of tiny raised bits of metal on the surface of the 1868.. if it's genuine, I would wager 62.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great report Charmy... always nice to put faces to names in the coin business.

Also, nice wine.... I have had that Rattlesnake Hill Cabernet...lovely... and the Chilean Malbec is a very nice wine..... Thanks again, Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always enjoy reading your Coin Show reports Charmy and seeing the behind the scene pictures of a coin dealers world.

I found this picture of you I had taken at the 2006 Florida FUN Show years back when you first started out after becoming the "Penny Lady"

• Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report ????????????????????????????
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    With all of the raised pimples and the odd look of the overstrike, I would be concerned that it was made by our friends at the Shanghai mint.

Thanks, Charmy for another interesting show report.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love the good coin you have there and all the great people there.
  • Options
    Any more guesses on the 1868 double struck Indian cent error?
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Not sure on the 68. Sure looks nice to me but like Sergeant Schultz used to say in Hogans Heroes, "I know nothing".
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy. I got nothing on the double struck. Not my deal.

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

Love the double struck IHC!!! 58 or 63/4
  • Options
    So, here's the deal about the 1868 off center - it is a counterfeit. I was so enamored with it that I didn't see it at first. But Rick saw it right off. The N in ONE should be shallow as all 1868 Indian cents have the Shallow N reverse. It's still a very cool piece, and the owner donated it to the Fly-In Club for educational purposes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file