Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1885 O Morgan Dollar PCGS MS63 Doily Rattler

I came across the above coin in the shop and upon searching online I was not able to find any of the Doily label coins in a rattler holder.

Anybody come across one of these?

Thanks

Morris
All Valley Coin & Jewelry

ps, I'll try and do a picture if I can figure that out
"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Morgan in a doily. It looked like the slab was simply a rattler with a plastic frame around it (I don't know the PCGS slab version for this). Maybe what you have is one of those without the frame.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, likely broken out ring.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the discussion you gave, I concur (obviously) with my colleagues above . . . .'a Doily missing the outer ring'.

In 1989, in response to a continued potential (with one perpetrator already arrested) counterfeiting threat to the 'Rattler' holder (1.0), PCGS decided on a two-fold approach to defeating counterfeiting. First, the label would be made similar to the printing on US currency . . . . detailed, flowery, ornate. I.e. -- harder to counterfeit. The debut? "The Doily" insert.

The second approach? Place a sonically sealed outer ring completely around the Rattler -- sealing the coin . . . AND the holder!

But around any bourse floor from 1989=2000 . . . . . while handled, displayed, moved . . . MANY a Doily went to its eternal destruction on a concrete assembly hall floor at Joe Schmuck's 13th Annual Screen Door Memorial Coin Show & Taxidermy Convention. Drop an early 2-Piece holder . . . . (Doily, 2.0, 2.5, 3.5) that sono*****un was ganna blow up on a concrete floor like

Hence . . . . . . the apparent "Doily" without the critical outer ring.

I just echo the expertise above . . . . . they also have the answer.

Drunner

(Doily Schmuck)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Doilys image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doilies for boys and goilies.....image I know.... lame. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of dealers supposedly broke off the outer ring in order to get the slabs to fit into the old rattler boxes.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DRUNNER

Drunner

(Doily Schmuck)

and apparently a good storyteller. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morris, what a blast from the past!!!! hadn't heard from or thought about you for years, nice to see you're still around and active. Geez, this makes two members from the recent past in one week after MM posted in a few threads. also, that Thor guy brings up a couple of banned members so what's next??
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hi Keets!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully intact doilies may be the next rare holder.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file