Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newb Needs Advice on Buffalo Nickel

Hello, I'm new to the forum, and coins in general (though I collected coins as a child, and still have them!).

I am a metal detecting hobbyist and recently found a 1926 S buffalo nickel. Unfortunately, I scraped the back side of the coin with my digging tool (it was packed in road base material, and I honestly thought it was going to be another piece of aluminum trash). The detail on this coin is pretty amazing, so it couldn't have been in circulation long before it was lost, and I have learned that this is a rare year. So, I'm trying to figure out if I should leave it as-is (with the scratch on the back) or clean it (which should remove the scratch, but also probably some of the detail). What is recommended in this situation, in order to retain maximum value? And if cleaning is the right way to go, what is the best method for cleaning this particular coin?

Thank you! Here's a picture of the coin (I hope this works!):

1926s Buffalo Front&Rear
The American People have become sheep who look to the government as their shepherd; grateful for a sweater given in exchange for their wool, blissfully ignoring their frozen hind quarters. -jwb

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't mess with it. You'll only make it worse.

If you must, an acetone or oil soak might help with the verdigris. Just don't expect a miracle.

Lance.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it alone. Anything you do at this point is likely to make it worse.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

Well the first rule is to never clean coins.
    However since you dug this up it may be an exception.

You can try soaking it in acetone for a few hours and then rinse it off and see what it looks like.

A 1926-S is a rare coin, but only valuable in higher grades. This one has already been damaged and the scratches aren't going away.

Try posting this on the Metal Detecting Forum
    You will probably get some help from them.
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Hey Diggum...Try a product called verdicare.
    They sell it at wizards supply.

It's not a harsh cleaner but a conservation fluid
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The condition of the coin (environmental wear and the scratch) will likely eliminate any significant value and only allow a details grade (no grade) if sent to a TPG. As recommended, an acetone soak... followed by a hot water rinse and alcohol rinse would likely give you the best results without further damage to the surface. No rubbing or abrasive action at all...that is critical.

Welcome aboard...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's far enough gone so why not try some acetone or ammonia to take off that green gunk?

It really can't get any worse.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I have dug a number of Buffalo and Liberty nickels with my metal detector. Yours actually looks pretty good for a dug nickel. Usually they turn red in the ground.

Here's how I clean them. First, I soak the coin in Aluminum Jelly. Multiple soaks and water rinses are usually required. This will remove all the crud and leave the coin a light pink color. Then, I quickly rub Nic-A-Date on the coin to remove the pink and rinse in water again. The coin will be left some shade of gray, often not a uniform gray. Any old dug nickel, other than perhaps a war nickel, will have significant porosity. There's no way to fix that environmental damage.

This is the best way I've found to clean old dug nickels. The advice you'll get elsewhere on the internet is salt and vinegar, Worchester sauce, and SOS pads or other abrasives.
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your excellent advice!

Since the coin's environmental damage (and, ahem, the digger scar) seems to have devalued it to basically zero, I don't see any harm in trying to clean this baby up. I suppose there's not much of a market for as-dug buffs...

Cheers!
    The American People have become sheep who look to the government as their shepherd; grateful for a sweater given in exchange for their wool, blissfully ignoring their frozen hind quarters. -jwb
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Diggum

Thank you, everyone, for your excellent advice!

Since the coin's environmental damage (and, ahem, the digger scar) seems to have devalued it to basically zero, I don't see any harm in trying to clean this baby up. I suppose there's not much of a market for as-dug buffs...

Cheers!

I'd be willing to clean this coin for you, no guarantees regarding results though. Send me a PM if interested.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not say this coin has zero value, but it does need some help. The 1926-S Buffalo Nickel is very expensive in high grade. If the coin were mint condition it would be pushing $10,000. But alas, this is a dug coin and faaaaaaaaaaaaar from mint condition. Still, it's going to be worth several dollars if it cleans up well.

You might try letting Bayard1908 take a whack at it since he's offering.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you cannot hurt it by cleaning or processing it in any way you choose. might just be fun to play around with
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Thanks, all! I PMed Bayard1908, and he's kindly replied! Cheers!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin
    Don't mess with it. You'll only make it worse.

If you must, an acetone or oil soak might help with the verdigris. Just don't expect a miracle.
    Lance.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a cool keep sake regardless!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

Can't get much worse.
    I'd let it soak in olive oil for three or four months. The olive oil will turn a brownish green from the gunk that is slowly flaking off the coin.

Won't improve it terribly, yet might find it more to your liking- if you have the patience to wait.

peacockcoins

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool and be sure to follow up on the progress..........curious is this a California find ?

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Originally posted by: OldEastside

Cool and be sure to follow up on the progress..........curious is this a California find ?

Steve

Hi, Steve. Yes, a Korruptifornia find. I found it about a foot off of the asphalt. Amazing that this thing managed to get churned up and added to the road base, so close to the road. I'd never have guessed that I'd find a good coin, this old, in these conditions.

Thanks, all, for the welcome!
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehe........thought so Diggum.............to me it looks as if it was a BU coin when lost in Korruptifornia image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any results on this post?
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: braddick
    Originally posted by: TomB

Can't get much worse.
    I'd let it soak in olive oil for three or four months. The olive oil will turn a brownish green from the gunk that is slowly flaking off the coin.

Won't improve it terribly, yet might find it more to your liking- if you have the patience to wait.

This.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will be interesting to see how it turns out. Please update this thread when finished processing.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you "clean it" people will "leave it"...as in unsold.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just leave it alone. It is more interesting as is with the metal detecting background story. Judging from the level of actual wear evident that coin must have been lost when it was almost new.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OP never sent me the coin for cleaning. I believe I could have significantly improved it.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Sorry, I've been slammed and have not been back here for a while. I did soak the coin in acetone for a few days, but that didn't seem to do much of anything to it. Bayard, I'll be in touch soon. Out of town through this weekend.

Cheers, all!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy.

As a numismatist, I would agree with the "leave it alone" crowd.

However, I am also a detectorist like yourself, and know that sometimes coin cleaning is a "necessary evil".

Since you're gonna have a "problem" coin no matter what, you can attempt some careful "conversation", as long as you don't make it worse/uglier.

Here's something you can try...

Attempt it with another crusty dug "junk" coin first, if you like, to get a feel for the process.

Heat up some hydrogen peroxide solution (the usual drugstore concentration of it) in a bowl in the microwave until just before boiling point, then plunk the coin in.

Let it fizz for a while with one side up, then flip it over so the other side can fizz a bit.

Be careful not to scald yourself.

I've found the hot peroxide treatment has an effect similar to electrolysis, with seemingly less risk of "burning up" the coin.

Still, the "when in doubt, don't do it/less is more" rule applies. Proceed cautiously with any coin cleaning.

BTW, nice find- sharp detail and a better date! image

There is a Metal Detecting Forum here on these boards, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file