Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Private messages help!

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since our "upgrade" here on the boards, I am only receiving initial pm's and ongoing discussions are not showing up in my history. My sent responses are all there but the persons replies back are not making it to my inbox... for that matter, only about half the time does the website even show that I have a new message. I do get the emailed indicator and I can read/see when I have a message from my email but not on the website!

Is anyone else having this problem? Do I have settings set up incorrectly?

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Click Private messages, then go over the the "from" column and click on the person (handle) you want to see all messages from. They should show up....I think...
  • Options
    Nope. Still missing pm's that were sent to me... I see my replies, but not their responses.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Have they been replying to your PMs here on the boards, or replying to them using their email? If the latter, it will only show up in your email inbox, not on the forum.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Good question. I will check.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you clicked on the senders name as hyperlink on the left side of the page that loads when you click on Private Messages?
  • Options
    Yes. Still just mainly showing my responses, not theirs.
    I feel like I've tried every damn hyperlink, help button, layout thing there is... It's driving me crazy. Today it caused me to miss a message and send a package to an out-dated address. Now I'm dealing with USPS intercept & re-direct.

Is no one else having missing pm issues?

Edited to add, Paul maybe onto something with users using email to reply rather than the website. I'm trying to check on that now.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Meltdown

Edited to add, Paul maybe onto something with users using email to reply rather than the website. I'm trying to check on that now.

I think that's it. Recently I sold a coin on BST and the buyer sent me a PM. I got notice of it in email and so responded through email, causing him some confusion like you've described above. The weird thing was, his initial PM to me appeared in my PM inbox some 15 minutes or more after I got the email notification of the PM.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the rhyme, nor reason, but some of the PMs only come to me in emails, some only in PMs, and some in both.

I have found that I may miss some if they only come in emails as they get "lost" with all my other emails and when I "remember" them, I am looking for them in the PMs, and can't find them.

Then, as stated above, there are times, when I respond to the email "PM" and it can cause confusion as well.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    In the left hand column, click on "private messages".

Find a PM from the person you want, then click the binoculars on the far right side of that PM. It should pop up a new window with that PM in it. If not, turn off your popup blocker.

In that new window, click the button labelled "message history" and in the original browser window it should show your thread with that person.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had any issues with PM's...get them on the forum and in my email box. History is there as well... although one individual I replied to indicates he did not have my reply... not sure about that - it is the only case for me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    Been having issues with some pms but not all. Sometimes they show up sometimes they dont. Only feature I really hate about the new forum.
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    been having problems with both forum messaging and email messages,assumed it was because my computer changed to windows 10....all by itself
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: commoncents05
    Have they been replying to your PMs here on the boards, or replying to them using their email? If the latter, it will only show up in your email inbox, not on the forum.

-Paul

This is the problem. I have it too.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    The PM system needs work, in a bad way, frankly. The rest of the software is fine.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can reach me by phone.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin

Originally posted by: commoncents05

-Paul

This is the problem. I have it too.

+1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    The replies go to your email address with no trace in the PM system.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

This just happened to me for the first time ever. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64

Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

This just happened to me for the first time ever. image

Me too yesterday. Email went to spam so I just deleted it. Came here and no PM. GRRRR
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also, and apparently quite randomly, receive private messages either through the PM system, both email and the PM system or exclusively through email. This afternoon I received a PM through email only without any trace of it on the boards.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TomB

This afternoon I received a PM through email only without any trace of it on the boards.

Ditto. I eventually got the PM, but there was at least a 20-minute "hang time" between its appearance in my email inbox and the arrival of the PM version in my PM inbox here.

Also, are images still not supported in the new PM system? Last I checked, they still weren't.

The PM feature seems to be the Achilles heel of this new software. There are a few things I consider modest improvements, but this PM format definitely isn't one of them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file