Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who is this Browning guy and why did he give my 1818 Bust 25c a "10"?

I had 8% eBay Bucks to acquire last night and I needed a Type 1 Capped Bust Quarter for my Type Set.
I kinda liked the color on this one but there was no reverse photo so I passed.

I like this one much better, but I'm not familiar with the Browning attribute. What is it about?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browning wrote the original book on die varieties for bust quarters, so yours is die pair number 10 in his list for 1818.
    Apparently there are 11 die pairings for 1818, but I don't have one of bust quarter books, so I can't tell you the rarity or what makes yours #10.
    http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/setcomposition.aspx?c=2757
    I can see a cool die crack from the rim through the 2 in 25 in your nice photo, though. That is part of a die state, though.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    when i think of browning...my mind drifts to this sporty image
    i wonder if in same family tree
    i'll take a B.A.R. over any quarter...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browning was a gun manufacture and gave this a 10 as that's how many times he missed it when it was tossed up in the air while trying to shoot it...

How that for an explanation imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The B-10 features the UNITED STATES OFAMERICA reverse. Pretty nice example of this R2 die marriage.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭
    You should be commended on your choice between those 2. The one you bought is so much nicer.

B10 is not rare. B9 on the other hand...well, buy the book by Steve Tompkins (hint: they have the same exact obverse - can you tell?):

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    very sweet choice
    looks like you did well holding out too

congrats
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>The B-10 features the UNITED STATES OFAMERICA reverse. Pretty nice example of this R2 die marriage. >>

This +1 you can find some references with a google search also.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw the ANACS coin first, and I'm glad I kept looking as this one is so much nicer.

I'll add this info to my memo about the coin, with the OFAMERICA difference - and the die crack.

If I Googled it, it would just bring me here I bet image

Thanks all image
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Who is this Browning guy and why did he give my 1818 Bust 25c a "10"?"

That has to be the best thread title I have seen in a long time image.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Who is this Browning guy and why did he give my 1818 Bust 25c a "10"?"

That has to be the best thread title I have seen in a long time image. >>

+1 lol

also, a nice example of a circ coin and i think may quality for circ-cam although those reverse legend letters....not enough frosting image

wish i could find more bust dollars like this quarter.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is this Browning guy and why did he give my 1818 Bust 25c a "10"?

Don't feel so bad. He only gave Bo Derek an 8. image

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Browning 10 gauge

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it came after 9 and before 11?

Did I win something? image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    attractive coin- Someone already commented that Browning wrote one of the early books on the series. And there are others. R. Duphorne published a work on Early Quarters in 1975.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Couple of comments...

1. As others have stated, kudos on the thread title...easily one of my favorite thread titles I've seen in a long time.

2. You bought a very nice coin in my opinion. It appears to be both accurately graded and eye appealing with nice surfaces. I actually had my eye on this same coin last night. My budget limits me to VG to F large-size bust quarters, but if I had the budget for VF coins, I probably would have bought this one last night. I don't think you got a steal, but I think you got a solid coin for the money.

3. As other have stated, Browning was the first to document the unique die marriages for obverse and reverse dies of bust quarters and those die marriages have become known by the Browning number he assigned them (just like the Overton varieties for the more popular Bust Halves). The defining characteristics for your B-10 die marriage are the triple dentils under the first 1 on the obverse and the lack of space between OF and AMERICA on the reverse (they almost appear as one word as opposed to two).

4. If you are at all interested in bust quarters and are going to spend this kind of money on them, I would strongly suggest buying a book about the series. I have 2 books on bust quarters and would recommend them both. Early Quarter Dollars of the United States Mint by Rea, Peterson, Karoleff, and Kovach Jr. - I bought this off of Amazon. Early United States Quarters by Steve Tompkins - the author of this book is a member on these boards (Quarternut) - I hope he won't mind me suggesting that you PM him if you would like a copy of his book.

Nice pickup and I hope this info. helps.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Browning makes a fine fishing rod as well.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great looking quarter!

years ago I had a pair of Browning hunting boots.... size 10! image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Browning book was first published in 1925, apparently in very small quantities. It was virtually impossible to obtain a copy until 1977 when Sanford Durst re-published it. Now newer works have superseded it, but credit most go to Mr. Browning who did write a very impressive pioneering work for its time.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1818 Bust Quarter is a B8. Only a f12 though.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when i think of browning...my mind drifts to this sporty image
    i wonder if in same family tree
    i'll take a B.A.R. over any quarter...image
    image >>

that your wife as well? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file