Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Found this raw Michael Jordan Fleer rookie on the way to the Moeller show and this happened.

I had arranged to meet a card shop owner, on the way to the Moeller card show, a few hours before he opened so I could try to work a deal. Well I walk in and this perfect MJ rookie is in the showcase. He explains it's a consignment.

We run down to a pawn shop to borrow a loupe and everything checks out. So we call the owner and work out a deal that if I grade it by Wednesday the card shop owner will hold the money. If it is fake/altered/trimmed my money is returned. If it grades any grade it's mine. So we agree on the price and I send it BGS due to their guaranteed turnaround time. Then this happened.

And yes, of course, I will see if PSA will cross it. I just had a tight window.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **

Comments

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    BINGO!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    wow. nice one! I have day dreams of finding a Jordan rc in a manner like that!
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    That is AMAZING!!! Congrats, Nathan!
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I thought you told me you only wanted pre 1986 rookies? I guess you can make an exception every on e and awhile. Awesome find. How many people saw that card at the show and passed? Congrats!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Beck6
    I thought you told me you only wanted pre 1986 rookies? I guess you can make an exception every on e and awhile. Awesome find. How many people saw that card at the show and passed? Congrats!

Zero......We packed it up and I sent it for grading from that town.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Thx for sharing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    It sucks that someone always has to be that guy, but i'll be him tonight.

Surface - 9.0

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yowzers! Nice piece of cardboard!

Shane

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Ztarg is probably right save the $700+ Crossover Fee and enjoy the score.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    NICE!!!

PSA 9 for sure!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one heckuva score, Nathan! Congrats! I wonder why the person consigning it (or the store owner) never considered submitting it for grading? That's a lot of money to leave on the table without at least trying.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Great score! Congrats!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice hit. We should have hooked up at the Moeller show. Congratulations.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Wow Nathan, congrats on the score!
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card, great score.
  • Options
    wow!
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Depending on what you paid, looks like a good deal. I understand the reasoning for sending to BGS but you should try to cross it. Congrats!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup! Nice to see there are some finds still out there.
  • Options
    RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I am burning with jealousy! What a score!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boom! Great score.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! It doesn't get better than that. It shows there are still great cards out there waiting to be found. I am surprised why the dealer didn't grade the card or suggest that to the seller.
    Steve
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Excellent work and find!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15
    That is one heckuva score, Nathan! Congrats! I wonder why the person consigning it (or the store owner) never considered submitting it for grading? That's a lot of money to leave on the table without at least trying.

For anyone who hasn't collected in the last 20 years I would say that it's a less then 10% chance that they have heard about the graded card world.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Congratulations!
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Because of guaranteed turnaround times vs. approx.

I needed to make sure the card was unaltered in a tight window(check OP and explains more). I knew it was authentic but am not well versed in shaving/trimming etc.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cakes
    Originally posted by: grote15

For anyone who hasn't collected in the last 20 years I would say that it's a less then 10% chance that they have heard about the graded card world.

The consignor may not have heard of TPG, but what dealer hasn't? If the dealer was a doctor he'd be sued for malpractice, lol.
    Steve
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    BOOM. CONFETTI.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats. Not sure how much of a score it was for you, but I'm sure you didn't pay anything close to NINE GRAND! ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Any updates to this thread on if the card was attempted to cross to PSA?