Home Precious Metals

S.S. Gairsoppa 10oz bars at a decent price

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone going for these? At the price I can't see much risk involved, and I like the design quite a bit.

Bar
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Mot completed silver 10oz. bars are going for 225-230 on eBay today. Unless it is worth more because of the historical value, $239 seems kind of steep.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the history holds value. But maybe its just me.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    I agree it does, I would just be worried if others would pay you in return.
  • It's just salvaged metal from the wreck, good luck. I would not pay a premium.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking bar with some history behind it. The price looks reasonable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking bar with some history behind it. The price looks reasonable. >>

I would rather pay a premium for that bar than a so called "collectors" bar that's nothing but a clump of silver demanding a premium.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Considering the huge premium for englehard bars, this is very reasonable all things considered.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not outrageous. Just remember that 10 years ago hardly anybody outside Lloyds of London knew about this wreck, and ten years from now the situation will be much like that again.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Broke down & purchased one...late X'mas present for myself.image
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw no reference to the number of bars produced. Anyone know? If they did all the tonnage
    into silver bars that would sure be a huge glut, killing all collector value. The way they set that
    bar serial number indicates it could be as many as 99,999 bars.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    220,000+ bars according to this. No wonder they lowered prices.

Linky
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>220,000+ bars according to this. No wonder they lowered prices.

Linky >>

Well, that means I'll be buying in the secondary market in a few years when silver gets down to $8 again.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    well made bar with a nice back story....

whatever floats your boat (Pun Intended!)

Loves me some shiny!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are newly refined;
    the actual silver molecules' history at the bottom of the ocean is dwarfed by the history of the metal starting with the nuclear furnace and supernova some billions of years ago

you know what would have been cool? a slice of an actual bar that was sunk and recovered, maybe counterstamped with the salvage date or something.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they are newly refined;
    the actual silver molecules' history at the bottom of the ocean is dwarfed by the history of the metal starting with the nuclear furnace and supernova some billions of years ago

you know what would have been cool? a slice of an actual bar that was sunk and recovered, maybe counterstamped with the salvage date or something. >>

You nailed it, Baley. That would be cool. Even if the weight was nominal (though I'm pretty sure they could slice them correctly). They are apparently selling some of the 1,000 ounce bars, too.

http://coins.blanchardonline.com/shipwreck-coins/ss-gairsoppa.php
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

<< <i>they are newly refined;

you know what would have been cool? a slice of an actual bar that was sunk and recovered, maybe counterstamped with the salvage date or something. >>

They sold off about 500 of the bars. I wonder what premiums they charged on those.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Like the story itself, the $239 price is history. These were already selling in the $279 range before the short term eBay Daily Deal promo and are now back to that price range. Not for the buyer that's just stacking metal, but for someone that wants to own a piece of history. You can still get them below $279 if you buy more than one at our website.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

<< <i>220,000+ bars according to this. No wonder they lowered prices. >>

With the very high number being produced, they will be available on the secondary market in the future at close to melt. The big part of their premium over melt is from hype. Don't forget that this sea salvage silver is from a 20th century ship---not from a Spanish galleon from the 17th century.

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    At $280 - no thanks.

At $239 - maybe.

A WW2 wreck - interesting, but not that interesting
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I like it but not at that price !!! image
    Timbuk3
    According to a Huffington Post story, 20% of the recovered metal went back to the Insurer I believe... I know other products have been made from the silver, and perhaps more will be, so the number of 10 oz bars is unknown at least to me. I know of only two other companies selling them and I believe all are in the same ballpark on price. When I heard about these I was afraid the premium would be much higher based on what must have been staggering recovery costs, legal fees, and past shipwreck recovery item prices.

John Maben
    800-381-2646

Received my bar with COA today.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Received one from MCM (was an xmas present from the parents). As always, great quality and packaging from MCM. Thanks John/Andy and crew.

The bar is very nice and the history is very interesting. FWIW, I like it a lot but would only buy 1.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do. >>

Run and don't walk to your post office and demand to speak to the post master. MCM can't do anything for you.

<< <i>

<< <i>I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do. >>

Run and don't walk to your post office and demand to speak to the post master. MCM can't do anything for you. >>

Unfortunately this is basically correct. I've been on the receiving end of this situation and agree completely it's an inconvenience but you have to figure out what happened USPS won't tell us (MCM) anything that you don't already know which is "delivered" according to them... check with neighbors then head to the PO and ask for the postmaster.

BTW, thanks to those that bought and are still buying. I think this will continue to be a popular bar and when they're gone, well, who knows...

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

Will go to the PO on Thursday. Noting as if today.
    John , I'm hoping these packages were insured....?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>Will go to the PO on Thursday. Noting as if today.
    John , I'm hoping these packages were insured....? >>

Insurance won't help if PO indicates delivered. Why are you waiting until Thursday? You should have made a straight line to the PO today... This is not an issue between YOU & MCM, but between you and the PO who claims they delivered the item.
    I was working today....
    My mailbox door was open according to my wife. Who is liable if it was taken??
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>I was working today....
    My mailbox door was open according to my wife. Who is liable if it was taken?? >>

Unfortunately, it's your loss. You may need to file a Police Report and also contact the Postal Inspector for your area.
    Unless you work for ebay, mcm, or the USPS, you have no valid reason to make such a statement.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    OPA is right. However, I would try and relax a little if I were you, if you can. This happens I am guessing in about 3 or 4 times a month with us as we ship over 1000 packages a day. However, usually all but maybe one of those are recovered. There is at least a 50% chance the post office will figure it out but you should be polite but clear and assertive that your next stop is the police or sheffif's dept if they don't have an explanation for you within a day or two. Virtually all sellers including MCM have statements in terms that clearly state responsibility ends with a "delivered" notice from the carrier. Insurers won't help us in these rare instances, sometimes eBay or Paypal will step in. Like every large volume seller we use private insurance when and where needed. We cover every legitimate instance of loss but not those related to a delivered status. It is then a carrier problem which we do not control. We'll do our very best to help you after you have exhausted your options and at this point I think you should do some work on your end then get back to me by Private Message and I will put you in direct touch with our in house eBay manager. Try not to sweat it for now, it's too early.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

<< <i>Nice, I like it but not at that price !!! image >>

Agree. Be patient. They'll be available on the secondary market in a few months for much closer to melt. They're neat but they aren't rare.

<< <i>Unless you work for ebay, mcm, or the USPS, you have no valid reason to make such a statement. >>

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm retired and have no association with the above mentioned entities. I'm familiar with what you are going through, having experienced a similar dilemma. I eventually had to charge off my loss on my income tax.
    Good luck

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice, I like it but not at that price !!! image >>

Agree. Be patient. They'll be available on the secondary market in a few months for much closer to melt. They're neat but they aren't rare. >>

With regard to the 10 oz bars, we don't have any idea how many they will make before pulling the plug just to be clear. They are making many other products with the silver so I can say it will not be an endless supply, nor do I ever expect to see them sell below what a name brand bar would sell, at minimum a 10% premium over that as they were at the short lived $239 and free shipping special, of course is just IMHO.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

best to first talk with you mail carrier and as soon as possible while recent deliveries are still fresh in his mind. Being a package, he may remember leaving it at a different house.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• At $239 PayPal does not require a signature for delivery. At the regular price of $279 a signature would have been required.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

best to first talk with you mail carrier and as soon as possible while recent deliveries are still fresh in his mind. Being a package, he may remember leaving it at a different house. >>

I did just that a few months ago when some coins showed as delivered but weren't in my mailbox. I stopped the carrier a few doors down the next day and he called the substitute carrier who had delivered the day before and ask if he remembered what happened. The sub thought it was left outside my door and not in the mailbox. Anyway it wasn't. The package was in the locked mailbox next to mine and I got it when my carrier got to my house (my neighbor would have given it to me had they been home). It was one of those $240 items with delivery confirmation only and I was a bit anxious for 24 hours. image

<< <i>220,000+ bars according to this. No wonder they lowered prices.

Linky >>

Report did not disclose, that the Royal Mint is producing up to 1,000,000 1/4 oz Brittanias from the same lot.

BTW ... price is now $244.00
  • I do like coins with a story. These bars are interesting but I went with the coin pictured, I think the story is more interesting. Here is the story.. I also picked up a $10 from the Canadian Hoard. These are selling less than issue. Mine was 80% of issue.