Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2012 Topps Gold Rush Foil Stamped

Don't know how familiar people are with these cards

But note the Gold Foil Stamped "Gold Rush" under the Topps logo. These weren't inserted in packs. They were given to Topps Home Team Advantage Stores in click cases in groups of 30 as part of their Series I kits. They weren't grouped 1-30, 31-60, etc. but randomly, but each group remained consistent from what I've seen on Ebay - hopefully I phrased that were it makes sense. For instance if you had Colby Lewis in your pack you also had Mike Napoli everytime. I was talking to my hobby shop dealer trying to narrow down distribution. Say there are 500 Topps Home Team Advantage Stores that's 15,000 total cards divided by a complete set of 330 = about 45 or 46 per card. This would make them more rare than the black bordered cards. And I have no idea if that number of stores is right it's just a shot in the dark thumb in the air guess, regardless this appears to be a really tough set to try and put together. Because dealers don't know what they have and the cards are sitting there or gave them away to customers if they had a team or player collector. I also wonder if A) anyone knew how many of these cards are out there B) if anyone could talk to their hobby dealer if they have them and if they're willing to part with them. I need 3 more to finish off my Rangers team set (55 Young, 171 Uehara, and 310 Beltre). I am also looking for Astros, Yankees, Pirates, and League Leaders for a couple trading friends. I also have a nice stack to trade if anyone can help out.

Has Topps done this in the past? If so when? This is really annoying for team and player collectors.
Matt's Card Page
What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    sometimes I really wish I was a player collector for someone currently playing. I love finding out about not so well known parallels like this.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I will offer a little bit of insight on these sets.

The number of stores that actually received these cards is MUCH smaller than the total number of Topps HTA dealers. In order to participate, HTA dealers had to email Topps and register. I registered, but never received a confirmation of registration. A few days before the deadline, my rep at my master distributor said the head of his company saw the list of people registered for the Gold Rush promotion (through which these cards were issued), and only 4 of his accounts were down as registered, and I was not one of them. I pestered Topps on the phone all day to be added to the list.

When the cards were actually send, many, many dealers who expected to receive the Gold Rush materials did not receive them. It seems that Topps goofed big time in recording who wanted to participate, and as a result many HTA dealers who thought they had signed up were not "registered" and thus received nothing.

I hope this gives you an idea of how limited these cards actually are, as many stores never received them.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great info guys, now I want to build the Rays team set. If you have any let me know.

<< <i>Great info guys, now I want to build the Rays team set. If you have any let me know. >>

I gave all of mine away with purchases of Topps when it released. Most of the customers I gave them out to, I tried to explain what they were and that they're difficult to find, but I don't think it registered with many people.

Also, if anyone is trying to redeem the Prime 9 cards at HTA stores, the same registration gaffe that cost many HTA dealers the Gold Rush cards also cost them the Prime 9 cards. Many HTA dealers never received any Prime 9 cards, and Topps told them they didn't have any extras to send out.
  • matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Tony thanks for the great info. In your opinion would you say something like 20 of each card produced? That would mean 220 of these 'packs' produced.

Here is a Ray to start you on your team set

I've invited a buddy of mine from another forum to share his knowledge. He's picked up 30 or so and has them for trade or sell. He's looking for League Leaders.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>Tony thanks for the great info. In your opinion would you say something like 20 of each card produced? That would mean 220 of these 'packs' produced.

Here is a Ray to start you on your team set

I've invited a buddy of mine from another forum to share his knowledge. He's picked up 30 or so and has them for trade or sell. He's looking for League Leaders. >>

It's tough to say how many were made; you'd have to figure out how many HTA stores there are in the US, and I would say maybe 50% got one pack each.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I see some people with bulk listings for the Prime 9 sets on Ebay. I wonder if a few dealers are absorbing them into inventory and telling the folks with redemption cards to take a hike?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>I see some people with bulk listings for the Prime 9 sets on Ebay. I wonder if a few dealers are absorbing them into inventory and telling the folks with redemption cards to take a hike? >>

That happens every time they give us promo cards. Technically, if they catch someone doing that they are supposed to be barred from all future promotions.

My guess is that the guys selling them are either A) stores with not a huge amount of volume and thus many leftovers or B) an HTA dealer without a store (i.e. someone who does shows).
  • I am one of the trading friends the author of this thread (Matt) refered to. We have been trading info trying to get the ones we need.

I have been looking for these for about a month now, and they do appear to be rare. I have seen a total of perhaps 3-400 singles on ebay and other sites over the past 4 weeks. The most I have seen of any one single is 4 copies.

I have about 40 of these stamped cards for trade or sale, which I shall list in another thread here.

Thanks;
    Jack

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Do we know if its possible to build an entire basic Topps set with the "Gold Rush" stamp? Not that I am interested, but would like to be able to build an entire Rays set, and would like to know if I can expect to find everyone.

<< <i>Do we know if its possible to build an entire basic Topps set with the "Gold Rush" stamp? Not that I am interested, but would like to be able to build an entire Rays set, and would like to know if I can expect to find everyone. >>

There is a guy putting a set together I've talked to a couple times on Ebay - perrotta1. I've invited him to join us and provide any knowledge he has. To try and answer your question myself MBMiller there are 12 Ranger cards in series 1, I've seen them all except #55 Michael Young. And the 11 Rangers that I've seen have been spread over 6 or 7 sets. Since I haven't seen Michael Young I would have to assume that adds another one (assuming all cards have been produced). I've also seen 2-3 lots of 30 with no Rangers. In my opinion all 330 cards are produced with the Gold Rush Foil Stamp.

Matt Moore Rays Gold Rush on CheckOutMyCards.com
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

I would guess that all 330 cards were made. In my pack, I had a Mantle, a few of the WS highlights, I think a Pujols, and a few other decent cards.

<< <i>I would guess that all 330 cards were made. In my pack, I had a Mantle, a few of the WS highlights, I think a Pujols, and a few other decent cards. >>

Did you sell the Mantle? The only one that's sold on Ebay went for $82 and there is one currently listed with over 2 days left and it's at $51. I bet it goes over $100 now that more information is coming out on these cards.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>

<< <i>I would guess that all 330 cards were made. In my pack, I had a Mantle, a few of the WS highlights, I think a Pujols, and a few other decent cards. >>

Did you sell the Mantle? The only one that's sold on Ebay went for $82 and there is one currently listed with over 2 days left and it's at $51. I bet it goes over $100 now that more information is coming out on these cards. >>

Holy crap!!!

No, I gave them all away as promos.
    Michael since you're a hobby shop owner and a Topps registered store at that, does Topps usually give out a promo kit for series 2? I wonder if these will be Series 1 releases only.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>Michael since you're a hobby shop owner and a Topps registered store at that, does Topps usually give out a promo kit for series 2? I wonder if these will be Series 1 releases only. >>

I haven't heard anything, so I am going to say no.

<< <i>Do we know if its possible to build an entire basic Topps set with the "Gold Rush" stamp? Not that I am interested, but would like to be able to build an entire Rays set, and would like to know if I can expect to find everyone. >>

Confirmed it is. Wow... just wow...

2012 Complete 1-330 Gold Rush Set
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling