Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not counting bullion coins, what coins do you think has the best value?

In other words what coins do you get the most bang for your buck?

Comments

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    As always, a collector does well with coins he knows how to grade, and knows the market prices for. Any coin in any series can be a good deal or bad deal, depending on the quality for the grade and price paid.

In terms of the more general question for collectors paying typical retail prices, the worst deals are low value raw coins. The reason is that the markup is stunning for a raw low value better date wheat cent, perhaps a $1 retail price in a 2x2 with a wholesale value of 2 or 3 cents in bulk. Sounds like a lot, but the dealer has to sort, separate and put the coin in the holder, working out to a low wage if they can move enough of these cheap coins (which they can't).

At the other end, high value slabbed coins tend to have lower percentage markups because dealers can make a living by selling fewer of them. That said, again, a person can get a good deal or a burial on virtually any coin, depending on actual price paid and the perceived quality of the coin.

If a person is asking about which coins are undervalued in price guides, it is more of a trivia question than a useful question. Price guides don't sell coins. Just because some series is low on the guide, it doesn't mean a person can buy coins at those guide prices.

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    I agree with RedTiger, that is one reason why I buy alot of wheat cents in bulk, because if I were to buy many of these coins individually they would cost me a few bucks just to get them at least with the buying in bulk it allows me to find whats in the bag and it keeps the dealer I purchase them from wanting to keep more in stock. but prior to me starting to buy again he kept less and less on hand because not a lot of people will just walk in and ask for a 50.00 bag of wheat cents.

That being said i think wheats are one of the best for value, because you can buy them in bulk fairly often and other than having the key date value of the coins you have coins that are no longer minted, and you have a coin that has more copper value in it. but this is just my opinion
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303
    Thanks, I never thought of it along them lines.
  • Options
    WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    The 1936D Washington Quarter in XF at guide.

Also the '26S Buffalo Nickel in slabbed as a FN as cheap as possible
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Not counting bullion coins, what coins do you think has the best value? >>

The coin I consider the best value on the market is the 2011-P Silver Eagle in Reverse Proof. It's a bullion coin, but its current price (around $260 to $290 in PR69) and potential future appreciation are not related to its bullion price, but rather to the series' popularity and the coin's low mintage.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Those bulk wheats aren't bad. The melt might catch up with them sooner than we expect.

I'd say value as in fun, something cheap that you can get hours of enjoyment from sorting out might be the most fun your money.
    I've had fun just buying $25 boxes of cents at face value to search for varieties.
    On the other end of the scale is buying your dream coin.
    I guess I'm saying two totally different things but in both cases it's the enjoyment you get out of them that counts for me.
    I'm talking about value in enjoyment not making money. image
    Ed
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i try and look for errors, vams or it something just catches my eye.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins that I like collecting have the best value. For me, many are in a dansco 7070 ( a nice example of almost every type coin) and am trying to "match" the set with problem free raw coins. It's always changing and upgrading that I like. One day it might have the best value, but for now it's like a live shopping cart.
    It's funny to me because I submit coins to PCGS that I believe need protecting and preserving, especially when they just seem like they shouldn't be in the album. Still, one particular type set collector buys a few of the slabbed coins and then says : "I'm cracking this out for my Dansco". It doesn't make sense to me. image

The coins with the best value are the ones a collector appreciates the most, despite the "added" value. I guess image
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I two, would agree with the previous posts. It has to be the Lincoln. The least expensive,most available,most popular,and of course, all those errors/varieties to search! You go to the bank and ask for 5-10 rolls of pennies,(at face value too) this purchase would only cost you 2.50-5.00 and it would keep you busy for hours. The best thing is you might find a hidden treasure in your search? For minimum cost!You can't beat that.image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

I think problem free F to VF+ Capped Bust Halves have an opportunity for a big run in the next 5-10 years. You can get them at resonable prices still, even after the run up of these a few years ago.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Low pop modern gold and platinum FS 70s have been very strong lately. --Jerry
  • Options
    bosco5041bosco5041 Posts: 1,303

<< <i>I think problem free F to VF+ Capped Bust Halves have an opportunity for a big run in the next 5-10 years. You can get them at resonable prices still, even after the run up of these a few years ago. >>

I like these to. I don't have many of them because I always thought they were common. But I think the popularity of them might rise in the future to because they are a very old classic coin that is still very affordable and they are really cool. Why do you think they will rise in value?
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I just think they will gain in popularity, like Seated type. The Draped Bust material is a little priced out for the lower budget collector, as they seek other options in old type coins, the demand will rise and also the price will probably rise. They were cheap for far too long IMO. Also the fact that the starting of the series reached 200+ years old a few years ago have jumped the price a bit, again IMO. Something about owning a coin older than 200 years give a giddy feeling to you.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file