Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where have you gone, Lynn Swann?

Does anyone know why Lynn Swann doesn't appear in any Topps issues later than 1977?

Comments

• Options
    JrMacdaddyJrMacdaddy Posts: 506 ✭✭
    I'm guessing a licensing dispute.

Also look at Earl Campbell and Joe Namath. They couldn't work out deals either.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    It was indeed a licensing dispute that kept THE MOST OVERRATED WIDE RECEIVER IN NFL HISTORY out of Topps sets after '77.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was indeed a licensing dispute that kept THE MOST OVERRATED WIDE RECEIVER IN NFL HISTORY out of Topps sets after '77. >>

At least he has a cool name image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's an underdog but if he wins election for Pennsylvania governor, I would have to think it would have to help his football card values.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It was indeed a licensing dispute that kept THE MOST OVERRATED WIDE RECEIVER IN NFL HISTORY out of Topps sets after '77. >>

I'm sure Largent would gladly trade his regular season stats to be able to claim Lynn Swann's postseason record. I agree he shouldn't be in the hall but to say he is the most overrated receiver means you never watched him perform in the playoffs and superbowls.
  • Options
    Lynn Swann performed at his best when the spotlight was on. Being at the right place at the right time burns an image in the minds of hall voters. That's why he's in Canton.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure Largent would gladly trade his regular season stats to be able to claim Lynn Swann's postseason record. I agree he shouldn't be in the hall but to say he is the most overrated receiver means you never watched him perform in the playoffs and superbowls. >>

Below are Swann's playoff stats. 13 games, only two of which saw him catch for more than 100 yards. TWO. Yes, he excelled in the Super Bowl and made some very acrobatic catches. You can't take that away from him. But that alone does not a Hall of Famer make, unless we all want to induct Timmy Smith and Doug Williams too? Not to mention that Swann never even caught for as many as 900 yards in the regular season. O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.

Year Opp Result | RSH YD TD | REC YD TD
    ---------------------+-----------------+-----------------
    1975 bal W,28-10 | 0 0 0 | 2 15 0
    1975 oak W,16-10 | 0 0 0 | 2 45 0
    *1975 dal W,21-17 | 0 0 0 | 4 161 1
    1976 bal W,40-14 | 0 0 0 | 5 77 2
    1976 oak L,7-24 | 0 0 0 | 3 58 0
    1977 den L,21-34 | 0 0 0 | 1 6 0
    1978 den W,33-10 | 0 0 0 | 2 52 1
    1978 hou W,34-5 | 0 0 0 | 4 98 1
    *1978 dal W,35-31 | 0 0 0 | 7 124 1
    1979 mia W,34-14 | 0 0 0 | 3 37 1
    1979 hou W,27-13 | 0 0 0 | 4 64 0
    *1979 ram W,31-19 | 0 0 0 | 5 79 1
    1982 sdg L,28-31 | 0 0 0 | 1 14 0
    ---------------------+-----------------+-----------------
    TOTAL | 0 0 0 | 43 830 8
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Swann was indeed a great receiver, though there are many other greats that rank way ahead of him. As for his playoff record, while impressive, many others accomplished greater feats. Didn't he miss the immaculate reception while Franco Harris caught the bounce? hah, still a great one though, without a doubt.

- Joe
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    In context Swann's post-season and regular season numbers look a lot better when you consider how little the Steelers threw the ball in the mid-70's.

Between 1974 and 1978 in 12 play-off games Bradshaw averaged 13 completions and 194 yards per game. The Steelers, with their great defense, were predominantly a running team. In 1976 the Steelers had ONE receiver (Swann) that had more than 20 catches. They had two 1000 yard running backs.

In 1975 Swann caught 49 passes for 781 yards. The Steelers as a team only threw for 2055 yards. Swann had 38% of the teams receiving yardage.

In 1995 the greatest receiver in history Jerry Rice caught 122 passes for 1848 yards. The Forty-Niners as a team threw for 4779 yards. Rice had 38% of the teams receiving yardage.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Oh no, here we go on Swann again...Next thing Shag will say is that Harold Jackson was better..lolimage

Seriously though, while Swann is over-rated, most Super Bowl heroes tend to be..I mean its hard not to be when you are the star WR in 3 Super Bowls playing for the Team of the Decade...Plus, the style in which he made those catches had never been seen before in NFL annuls..He was a playmaker first, a stat machine second..Was Art Monk better because he caught 900 10-yard hooks? Its not always about numbers...

In all fairness, it took Swann 19 years to get into the HOF...How many WR took longer than that???

Tommy McDonald--30 Years
    Wayne Millner--23 Years

Compare Swann to those guys and I think he went in right about where he should have went...He wasn't a first ballot guy, but man was he spectacular!

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aro hit it right on the head. The Steelers of the 1970s threw the ball about as much as some teams today throw the ball in about a quarter and a half. If you're not able to understand that, you know very little about the Steelers when they absolutely dominated the NFL (4 Super Bowls in 6 years, and Swann was there for all 4 of them). In addition to that, Swann single-handedly won Super Bowl X with an absolutely incredible performace (161 yards receiving) so he most certainly deserves to be in the HOF.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Happy 60th birthday, Lynn.
  • Options
    Happy birthday also to Franco Harris.
  • Options
    i just caught the end to an up coming show of storage wars Texas, that shows an NFL player getting sucked into going to an auction, but i didnt catch the name of the player, maybe thats him.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Does anyone know why Lynn Swann doesn't appear in any Topps issues later than 1977?
    ==> great point, I never realized that he wasn't in other sets...any other HOF ers missing from these years as well ?
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone know why Lynn Swann doesn't appear in any Topps issues later than 1977?
    ==> great point, I never realized that he wasn't in other sets...any other HOF ers missing from these years as well ? >>

Earl Campbell
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i just caught the end to an up coming show of storage wars Texas, that shows an NFL player getting sucked into going to an auction, but i didnt catch the name of the player, maybe thats him. >>

Roy Williams (the former OU and Cowboys WR, not the Cowboys S). 2 of the regulars buy a storage unit that has a bunch of signed Williams OU mini-helmets, and go to him directly to authenticate them. They invited him to come to a future auction, and he took them up on it.

I just hope he doesn't buy a locker with something valuable and fragile, because he'd probably drop it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.