Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonial Coins for Those Who Don't Collect Colonial Coins

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I did not focus on these almost exclusively - if I were just wanting to add some colonial era coins to my collection to represent the various types - here's what I'd choose:

1. 1787 Fugio copper - Newman 13-X variety. This is a common variety easily obtainable in nice, uncirculated condition because of the Bank of New York Hoard. As such, it could serve well as a definitive example.

2. 1652 Pine Tree Shilling, Large Planchet, Noe 1 - the so-called 'Pellets at Trunk' variety.

3. Bar Copper, circa 1785 – Popular, easily recognizable coin with a design based on the buttons of Continental soldiers' uniforms. Very patriotic for early America, even though they were made in England.

4. 1783 John Chalmers Shilling – long or short worm variety; made in Maryland.

5. French Colonies Sou Marque (also known as a Double Sol or 24 Deniers) – The French and their colonization of early America are very important to our history and our rise as a nation and I think they should be represented.

6. St. Patrick Copper Farthing or Halfpenny, circa 1670-1674 – Very early coins brought over from Ireland and authorized expressly as legal coinage in New Jersey.

7. 1773 Virginia Halfpenny, With Period variety – easily obtainable in high grade because of a keg of uncirculated pieces that was found in Richmond, Virginia just prior to the Civil War.

8. 1787 Connecticut Copper, Miller 6.1-M the Laughing Head variety - Copper coins were struck in Connecticut beginning in 1785. Over 350 distinct die varieties are known to exist today. The Laughing Head is an interesting representative for the type.

9. 1786 Vermont Copper Landscape type – VERMONTENSIUM, Ryder 6 variety – A common but impressive coin.

10. 1723 Rosa Americana twopence, Crowned Rosa variety - Struck under authorization from the King and produced expressly for use in British North America, this type would have been familiar in commerce for most of the 18th century.

11. The Spanish milled dollar, 8 reales, otherwise known as the Pillar dollar or piece of eight - Thomas Jefferson recommended to the Continental Congress on September 2, 1776, that the new country adopt the silver Spanish milled dollar as its monetary unit of value. The piece of eight continued to be a standard money unit in early America throughout the colonial period and circulated in the United States with official sanction until 1857.

12. 1791 Washington Small Eagle (or Large Eagle) Cent - Specifically because of these coins, George Washington rejected the idea of having his portrait on coins as overly monarchical.

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I would add one of the New Jersey Coppers to the list. Then again, I'm biased since I am from Jersey.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭
    This is a great list and you should know these very well.

I have only owned 3 out of your list of 10 and presently only one 1.

Can you guess what the one is?image

Mike
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The list could be expanded to 20, 40. ....goodness, ALL of them!
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would add an 8 reales or, alternatively, a pistareen.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would add one of the New Jersey Coppers to the list. Then again, I'm biased since I am from Jersey. >>

I noticed that too. Kick those Connecticut people off the list image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I have owned everything but the Bar Copper but only currently own the Pine Tree and the Fugio.

I agree with adding a Pillar Dollar and New Jersey copper or Washington copper and maybe replacing the Bar Copper or Chalmers shilling. Those two coins are too expensive for someone dabbling in colonials, IMO.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good list, thanks for posting it. I would not mind owning a couple of those one day............
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    I have edited the list based on some of the suggestions posted. image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several of those, but what I really want is one of the Massachusetts Pine Tree shillings. My family history goes back to 17th century Massachusetts Bay and I would think of it as a tie into family history. I have been watching them of late, but will probably have to sell some other treasure to buy a nice high grade attractive example.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>I have several of those, but what I really want is one of the Massachusetts Pine Tree shillings. My family history goes back to 17th century Massachusetts Bay and I would think of it as a tie into family history. I have been watching them of late, but will probably have to sell some other treasure to buy a nice high grade attractive example. >>

I don't think I can pick an outright favorite from the list...but a Mass. PTS would be in my top 3.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have several of those, but what I really want is one of the Massachusetts Pine Tree shillings. My family history goes back to 17th century Massachusetts Bay and I would think of it as a tie into family history. I have been watching them of late, but will probably have to sell some other treasure to buy a nice high grade attractive example. >>

I don't think I can pick an outright favorite from the list...but a Mass. PTS would be in my top 3. >>

image except that it is my favorite. Everyone, who can afford one, should have one.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering about the Machin's Mills pieces. I know they aren't as prominent as many of the others, but I'm interested in learning more.

My fiancee' grew up on Orange Lake. I've looked at the Notre Dame website, and I plan to buy the QDB book on Colonials & Early American Coins. Are any other references available?

I know that there are some fakes, copies and restrikes. Does anyone have some personal experience with these?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    What about including the Massachusetts 1/2 or 1 cent pieces
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    I chose the Connecticut Coppers based on personal preference and the large number of varieties.

You could easily substitute a New Jersey, Massachusetts or other state copper. They are all very cool and interesting.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been wondering about the Machin's Mills pieces. I know they aren't as prominent as many of the others, but I'm interested in learning more.

My fiancee' grew up on Orange Lake. I've looked at the Notre Dame website, and I plan to buy the QDB book on Colonials & Early American Coins. Are any other references available?

I know that there are some fakes, copies and restrikes. Does anyone have some personal experience with these? >>

I highly recommend you get a copy of Will Nipper’s book, In Yankee Doodle’s Pocket: The Myth, Magic and Politics of Money in Early America.

Also, back issues of The Colonial Newsletter have a lot of information about Machin's Mills coinage.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont collect colonials, but have both the large and small eagle Washington cents because I love the design, and I have a Mass. cent.
    I would love to buy a Fugio, but its not on the top priority list.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd add an elephant token to the list..

Your list is very Redbookian, which I understand. Almost every one of my current fantasy coins came from when I was 10 and got my first Red Book. Even then I knew the Pan Pac slugs and 3-legged buffalo nickel were special.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    "Redbookian" - I like that.

Of course the list works out that way because it's geared toward those who don't specialize in colonial coins.

Otherwise the list would include a 1749 British Halfpenny or Farthing, a Pistareen, etc. image
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What wins people over to colonials is the feel of great age and handcrafted artifact. Worn round edged smooth old copper with enough on it to make it loveable in its old age. Holding it puts you back into the world of tri corner hats and flintlocks. It's holding it and thinking about its creation.... A man sitting in a pit placed a disc of copper on the bottom die, two men above pulled hard and quick on ropes, a ten foot iron bar with huge weights on the end.... This immense torque ran to a fast pitched iron screw and the top die slammed down hard and fast. It must have shook the floor... The rope men pulled back and the pit man brushed off the newly minted piece and placed a fresh blank on the die. ~~~~~. Collectors don't end up in colonials to try and compete in coin grade contests they do it because the other aspects of the coin far outweigh the banality of us federal coinage.
  • Options

<< <i>~~~~~. Collectors don't end up in colonials to try and compete in coin grade contests they do it because the other aspects of the coin far outweigh the banality of us federal coinage. >>

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    My opinion on Colonials for non Colonial collectors- should be relatively inexpensive, in common use at the time and emblematic of the Colonies:

State Coppers/Silvers
    1)Connecticut

2) Vermont Landscape

3)New Jersey

4)Mass Silver - Pine Tree Shilling

5)Mass Copper

Confederation:
    6) Fugio - the one I would pick if I could only have one! ( or maybe the Mass Pine Tree Shilling)

Foreign coin in circulation:
    7)Pillar Dollar from new world mint - add others to your hearts content - there are many possibilities.

Washingtonia
    8) Pick your favorite design here.

edited to add Mass Copper
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Given that it is a listed colonial, is the general consensus that the Franklin Press Token is a colonial or is it better considered a Conder Token?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wondered, are the Colonial coins shown in the Redbook but a sampling of what's really out there? Can anyone recommend a good Colonial book? I always liked that section of the Rebook.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>~~~~~. Collectors don't end up in colonials to try and compete in coin grade contests they do it because the other aspects of the coin far outweigh the banality of us federal coinage. >>

image >>

....agree....

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options

<< <i>Given that it is a listed colonial, is the general consensus that the Franklin Press Token is a colonial or is it better considered a Conder Token? >>

It's a Conder Token.

Here is a list of conders that are considered part of the US colonial series:

Kentucky token (Lancashire 59)
    Washington Liverpool Halfpenny (Lancashire 116)
    Franklin Press (Middlesex 307)
    Washington Left Liberty & Security undated (Middlesex 243 Asylum edge)
    Washington Right . Liberty & Security . 1795 (Middlesex 244 Asylum edge)
    Washington Grate - Large Buttons (Middlesex 283)
    Washington Grate - Small Buttons (Middlesex 284)
    Washington President 1791 One Cent (Middlesex 1049)
    Washington President One Cent 1791 (Middlesex 1050)
    Washington President Ship Halfpenny (Middlesex 1051)
    Washington Right Liberty & Security 1795 (Middlesex 1052)
    Washington North Wales (Middlesex 1052 Bis)
    New York Theatre token (Middlesex 167)

The Washington pieces are the bulk of the count...The Talbot piece itself is not included in the conder series by Dalton & Hamer, but the obverse die is paired with several other dies and these mules are part of the conder series.

...the North Wales halfpenny is also in the Red Book, it is also part of the conder series.

(Information provided by farthing and colonialCoinUnion in a previous thread I posted on this topic.)
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    That is very interesting information, thanks very much!
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Oh boy, what a thread!

There's so much to comment on, it's like I could teach a week long course on this subject.

If I wasn't a colonial guy, and I wanted to add just one early American coin to a collection, it would be a Fugio copper -- it was authorized by the Federal government and struck on their behalf. If this were struck after the passage of the Constitution, it would be a must-have type coin for everyone here.

If I wanted to add the only true "colonial" coin, it would be a Virginia halfpenny. Easily found in every grade (choice EF-AU is probably the toughest), it was an official production for the colony of Virginia, but circulated up and down the Mid-Atlantic.

The Pine Tree shilling is another fine suggestion, even though getting one that doesn't look like it was run over is a four figure proposition.

There is something to be said for a Rosa Americana piece (the earliest solely American coin that can be had for something less than a king's ransom) or a Massachusetts cent or half cent (the earliest coins struck with those denominations anywhere on the planet).

Regarding the conder token list, while the 1791 Washington pieces are listed by Dalton and Hamer, since these really were produced to circulate in America, I would not put them on the same footing as what I call American Reference Tokens like the Kentucky token or the Franklin Press token.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, JK! image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice list. As a non-collector of colonials, I do have a few of those (Fugio, Pillar Dollar, Sou Marque), and have a 1723 Rosa Americana 2p on my list of things to buy someday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file