Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proudly Prove You're Totally Over the Hill...Do You Remember Department Stores with Actual Coin Dept

RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll get the ball rolling, both Macy's and Gimbels here in NYC had killer coin and stamp departments. Macy's was upstairs near the Post Office, razor repair and trim-a-tree area while I think Gimbels was in the basement.

And how about those rotating glass cases at Woolworth's...with the three buttons (Pause, Move Forward & Move Backward). Back in the late 70s early 80s, as silver was skyrocketing, my father practically bought an entire caseload of coins...that were not being marked up to spot levels!

And PS...we also bought our first dog at Macy's! How times have changed!

And P.P.S., I offer the following link to a vey cute site all about dearly departed department stores (with many photos). It's incredible how many actually had coin and stamp departments, almost as a matter of routine.

http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woolworth's
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I'm still under the hill.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Early 1970's, May D&F department store, downtown Denver, upper floor.
  • Options
    <<Nope. I'm still under the hill. >>

Not a good place to be...unless you have a straw poking out for air!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Kaufmann's in Dahntahn Pittsburgh did. I still have the Whitman classic album of Frankies that my grandmother purchased for me from that store.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Filene's and Jordan Marsh had coin counters in Boston, as I recall.
    Paul
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i do. woolworths, w.t. grants and g. fox had a killer coin and stamp area. im not sure if they had currency ( i think they did from what i think i remember image )
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Marshall Field's in Chicago still had a coin and stamp department until maybe 2002 or so. "Department" might be a misnomer since it was probably about 500sf all in. 2 people in the area at one time was a crowd. Their merchandise was certainly not anything to write home about (a strange mix of mostly low-dollar darkside that no one ever bought and modern proof sets), though they did have a bi-weekly bid board that I participated in quite a bit.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

<< <i><<Nope. I'm still under the hill. >>

Not a good place to be...unless you have a straw poking out for air! >>

Having been born in the early 70's, I'm old enough to appreciate just missing out on them.
    I've been buying up old sets in holders like these every time I see them.
  • Options
    From Gimbels, I had a clear square lucite paperweight with a Franklin era proof set embedded inside.

I grew up with that damn thing sitting on my nightstand [sigh]...don't know what happened to it after my parents passed away.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep !!! I remember when Woolworths's had
    a coin and stamp section. Those were
    the days I miss.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Hey meltdown...that holder is way cool. What did they do, take a fresh double mint set out of the cardboard and plop it inside?
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup...

Here in Toronto, Simpson's and I believe Eaton's had a coin department till the 1980's (eventhough in the 80's I believe they didn't actually 'own' the coin dept. but contracted the space to an independent).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Montgomery Wards for me. I remember drooling over a gold coin there - must have been 7 or 8.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey meltdown...that holder is way cool. What did they do, take a fresh double mint set out of the cardboard and plop it inside? >>

That's what I've heard. These sets look just like fresh mint coins.
  • Options

<< <i>From Gimbels, I had a clear square lucite paperweight with a Franklin era proof set embedded inside. >>

Are department stores where where all of those acrylic coin cubes came from? I love those things and buy them for melt or less when I see them if they're priced right. If anyone here has a large example with nothing but pennies in very good condition, please send me a PM image.
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marshall Field's in Chicago still had a coin and stamp department until maybe 2002 or so. "Department" might be a misnomer since it was probably about 500sf all in. 2 people in the area at one time was a crowd. Their merchandise was certainly not anything to write home about (a strange mix of mostly low-dollar darkside that no one ever bought and modern proof sets), though they did have a bi-weekly bid board that I participated in quite a bit. >>

Glenn is still in business though he is no longer in Macys. He moved out to the suburbs and now runs Harlan J. Berk Rare Coins of River Forest. There also used to be a stamp and coin department at Carsons. My dad worked there when I was in preschool. When Carsons closed Ned moved the business to a nearby Jewelers building with his company CPS Sports
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In El Paso, I remember going to the coin shop in the old Fed Mart. kinda like a Walmart for government employees....my dad was in the Army.
  • Options
    <<If anyone here has a large example with nothing but pennies in very good condition, please send me a PM>>

I remember seeing a prime example just like that...it was rounded and it had about 50 mint-red wheaties inside...I think they were all 1958 or 1957 coins! And it was pretty hefty also.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I do remember seeing them in department stores growing up in the 60s (Sears, maybe?). Wasn't
    actively buying coins at that time, or I'm sure my memories would be more etched. My relationship to
    coins at that time was that they were useful for buying stuff! image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    loved the push button, rotating cases at woolworths.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Gimbel's basement, Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, NY.
  • Options

<< <i>I remember seeing a prime example just like that...it was rounded and it had about 50 mint-red wheaties inside...I think they were all 1958 or 1957 coins! And it was pretty hefty also. >>

That's *exactly* what I'm looking for. A coworker has an 8" x 8" cube full of BU '63 pennies on her desk that she won't part with. I don't search eBay that often for them, but sooner or later I'm sure I'll find a nice one. Heck, hopefully someone reading this post will send me a pm image...

As an aside, have you guys successfully used novus or other compounds to buff out scratches on those acrylic coin cubes? I used to pass them up if they had too many scratches, but if a little elbow grease and patience will resolve the scratches than I'll buy rougher ones as well.
  • Options
    <<Gimbel's basement, Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, NY. >>

Loved that mall...and do you remember the drive-in movie next door? And the S. Klein's down at the other end?
  • Options
    <<As an aside, have you guys successfully used novus or other compounds to buff out scratches on those acrylic coin cubes>>

If I had known of Novus back when I was a [stupid] kid, I would have been sniffing the bottle and not using it to buff out anything!!!
  • Options
    I forget which store it was. But I did indeed shop (mostly window shopping) at the coin counter of a NYC dept. store. It sure beat looking at clothes with my Mom! She could drop me there and know I'd still be there when she was done. image

After one GSA release Sam Goody's was giving away BU Morgans if you bought enough records. My dad got me one. image
  • Options
    Yes our local woolworth's did sell coins and also jj newbury's. It was a great time in the early seventies!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Marshall Field's in Chicago still had a coin and stamp department until maybe 2002 or so. "Department" might be a misnomer since it was probably about 500sf all in. 2 people in the area at one time was a crowd. Their merchandise was certainly not anything to write home about (a strange mix of mostly low-dollar darkside that no one ever bought and modern proof sets), though they did have a bi-weekly bid board that I participated in quite a bit. >>

Glenn is still in business though he is no longer in Macys. He moved out to the suburbs and now runs Harlan J. Berk Rare Coins of River Forest. There also used to be a stamp and coin department at Carsons. My dad worked there when I was in preschool. When Carsons closed Ned moved the business to a nearby Jewelers building with his company CPS Sports >>

That's great to hear about Glenn, I haven't seen him in years but like baccaruda enjoyed going to the bi-weekly bid board auctions he ran. I hope baccaruda will agree with me, I always found him to be pleasant and willing to chat at length about coins, as well as classic stamps (that I knew comparatively little about vs. coins) and he taught me the basics with his usual pleasant demeanor. I knew he'd set up in River Forest but didn't know he was associated with HJB -- will have to go by there soon. image I also remember the Carson's setup, though I didn't know your dad worked there so long ago - small world!
  • Options
    well, I am almost 50, but I do not recall any dept store with coins. Must have been looking for toys instead
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I remember buying stamps at Dillard's as a kid. I always had more "want" than "money". image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Both the Montgomery Ward and the Britts department stores in Kingston, NY, had glass display cases with the push-button rotating shelves full of what was for me eye candy at its finest. Britts is where my mom and dad purchased as my 1968 Christmas present the 1955 proof set (in Capital plastic holder) that I still have (and cherish).

Not a huge selection in either of these "departments," to be sure. But it was the only "brick & mortar" experience available to me as a kid.

And let's remind ourselves that "over the hill" is vastly preferable to "under the sod."

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options

<< <i><<Gimbel's basement, Green Acres Mall, Valley Stream, NY. >>

Loved that mall...and do you remember the drive-in movie next door? And the S. Klein's down at the other end? >>

The Sunrise Drive-In next door held a weekly flea market, and that's where we actually bought the most of our coins. We would sneak under the fence to avoid paying the walk-in fee. I remember buying a 1971-S uncirculated Ike Dollar out there in the early 1970s. Our high school was right by there, so we were always at the mall. That area used to be an airport at the beginning of the Great Depression.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember buying stamps at Dillard's as a kid. I always had more "want" than "money". image >>

Oddly enough, I have the same issue to this day! But it is a little bit better than when I was a kid. image
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Woolworths in downtown San Francisco had a coin department on the first floor.

The Emporium (across the street) had a coin and stamp department in the basement.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, that was a LONG time ago. image

Recall going to Daytons, I believe, in Minneapolis and Marshall Fields when visiting Chicago.

Didn't keep any coins from them - still have a stamp or 2. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    <<Woolworths in downtown San Francisco had a coin department on the first floor.>>

Was that the big Woolworth's down by the cable car turntable?!? If so, it was a boring Old Navy the last time I was out in those parts [sigh].
  • Options
    SLQSLQ Posts: 311 ✭✭
    A&S department store in downtown Brooklyn had a decent coin dept.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in ca. 1980-1 Woolworths in SF had a coin dept. All overpriced, overgraded stuff.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hudson's in downtown Detroit had a large stamp and coin department until the downtown store closed in 1983. The coin and stamp department then moved to the Hudson's at Northland Mall in Southfield, MI where it remained through most of the 90's and possibly later. I don't know when it closed as I seldom visit that store (now a Macy's) but the last time I was there it was gone.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll get the ball rolling, both Macy's and Gimbels here in NYC had killer coin and stamp departments. Macy's was upstairs near the Post Office, razor repair and trim-a-tree area while I think Gimbels was in the basement.

And how about those rotating glass cases at Woolworth's...with the three buttons (Pause, Move Forward & Move Backward). Back in the late 70s early 80s, as silver was skyrocketing, my father practically bought an entire caseload of coins...that were not being marked up to spot levels!

And PS...we also bought our first dog at Macy's! How times have changed!

And P.P.S., I offer the following link to a vey cute site all about dearly departed department stores (with many photos). It's incredible how many actually had coin and stamp departments, almost as a matter of routine.

http://departmentstoremuseum.blogspot.com/ >>

Gimbels.
  • Options
    I still have my "big" $170 receipt (dated 5/26/91) from Macy's for my 1890-CC GSA sealed MS63 Morgan...do I win a prize for best pick-up in a department store?!?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Macy's and Gimbel's.image The local bicycle shop also sold glycine envelopes of foreign stamps.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - I recall looking at coins at the Woolworth's store in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

In 1974 I visited the Macys coin department in NYC. I still have a Corinthian stater I picked up there.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    My Mom would load me and my brother into the old gray Plymouth station wagon and we'd roar off to the big city to buy blue jeans for school. The destination was F.W. Woolworths in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

We parked behind the store and would enter from the rear and head directly to the clothing section. Boys blue jeans were stacked on tables and it smelled of denim. Once my Mom found our size she'd throw a pair at us and tell us to go try them on. Changing rooms were nothing but little cubicles with a curtain. Stepping out, she would tuck the cuffs over and say, "You'll grow into these" and once we got our old clothes back on, we were free to roam the aisles. That's when I found the "coin counter"

Pressing my face against the glass, I was mesmerized by coins I had never seen before, ancient coins from 1899, huge pennies from the 1840's, denominations that I never knew existed, half dime, twenty cents, 3 cent nickles...it was perplexing. There on top of the counter was a bell used to summon someone to the counter. Since I had no money I was fearful to ring the bell, but I was determined to have money the next time I was able to return.

The memory of that coin counter stuck with me and around Christmas time it was another trip to the big city to get some Sunday clothes for the school and church pageants.

That time there was a elderly (at my age, anyone over age 35 was elderly) gentleman in a suit and tie behind the counter. As I approach with wide eyes, he asked if he could help me. I told him I had $1.75 ( a huge some of money in those days) to spend on coins and could he suggest something.

He pulled out a tray of Lincolns and picked out about 10 really old wheat cents and then set down a Whitman Lincoln Cent folder. The clerk said for $1.75, this would get me started. He knew exactly what I needed and on the way home, I pressed the Lincolns into their respective holes and was proud. I remember adding many cents gleaned from circulation to this starter set but I have no idea what ever happened to that album. A small conflict in South East Asia interrupted my collecting and I think my Mom may have sold it at a yard sale...this is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Note: There was another feature about Woolworths that totally amazed me and that was the air tubes they used to send checks or other information between departments. ~thunk~the little vessel would disappear into the shinny brass tube, only to return with a whoosh a few minutes later. It was something!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    yup...in this club too....lil kid at the magical coin offerings in a woolworths
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    donzmedonzme Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Woolworths in downtown San Francisco had a coin department on the first floor.>>

Was that the big Woolworth's down by the cable car turntable?!? If so, it was a boring Old Navy the last time I was out in those parts [sigh]. >>

Yes, at the Powell & Market street cable car turnaround. As I remember, back in the mid-1970's, there was a 50-60ish Italian guy named "Don" who ran it. His floor space was just inside the first set of side doors of Woolworth's (as you looked up Powell Street).
  • Options
    ram1946ram1946 Posts: 762 ✭✭
    Most certainly. I remember selling my 55DD for $25 to a coin department as you entered what seem to be the prototype for "low prices, even less service" stores that now dominate strip mallsn in Pittsfield, MA. I think it was Korvette's. I was about 11 or 12 at the time so it was around 1957 or so. There was also a Woolworth and Newberry's on North St. in Pittsfield that had coins for sale.

I also think there was a coin department at Gimbel's in Yonkers, New York (my wife's hometown) that I use to visit when we lived in Connecticut. I remember going into Gimbel's but can't say for sure it was in Yonkers.

RYK, when did Gimbel's close in Pittsburgh? We moved here in 1994 and our office was Downtown. I seem to recall visiting a coin department when I first started working here. Maybe it was Kaufman's?

• Options
    Yes, Gimbel's and Macy's in NYC. Also a coin show every week, on Sundays, alternating between the Henry Hudson Hotel and the Americana Hotel.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    here in indianapolis, L.S. Ayres & co. had a large coin & stamp dept.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Jordan Marsh Boston 1960s.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file