Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1993 Topps Finest 40 Box Lot

I asked the seller how much he would take for the lot and he says he's already been offered $225/box. Says he'd take $260 + shipping for them. I assume the offer was probably from BBCE since Steve sells them for $295, but I may be wrong. Do the refractors run 1 per box? I don't know much about this set except the refractors go for a lot.

Topps Finest Lot

Comments

• PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    The refractor pack can be picked out of the box. So be certain the refractor pack is there. I would demand a sample box before I pay for the 40.

The following is a post on the old Usnet from 2000:

Newsgroups: rec.collecting.cards.discuss Mar 14 2000, 3:00 am
    From: "Andy Kimball" <cardd...@go.com> - Find messages by this author
    Date: 2000/03/14
    Subject: Re: should I open up 1993 finest baseball box??
    Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse
    Actually, I'm almost positive the odds were 1 in 15 packs.
    I remember reading it somewhere (probably the Topps Press release - they
    sent out 2 press releases about a month apart - the first was for a 198 card
    set (no Piazza) and the second was to inform dealers of their inclusion of
    Rookie Superstar Mike Piazza) plus we opened 24 boxes of '93 Finest and it
    seemed every fifth box had 2 refractors the rest had 1 -- we got 30
    refractors out of 24 boxes, the best of them was Don Mattingly & George
    Brett.
    -- Andy

Phil
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    They are factory sealed with the Topps cellophane supposedly.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    They are factory sealed with the Topps cellophane supposedly.

There are no markings on the cellophane, so unless they are in sealed cases there's no way to tell for sure whether they were shrink-wrapped at the factory.
  • That's one heck of a lot. BBCE should get in the action as it's an easy sell.
    listing says no reserve, but the seller said he was expecting $260-$275/per and said an offer of $225/per was already there so I'm betting this listing will be shilled or ended early. I have the high bid as of now.
  • 90% chance this will be shilled.
  • Seems like the offer for $225 each is pretty solid, not many people are sitting on 10K+ for 1993 Finest boxes.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    I broke cases of that stuff back in 93. I know a little bit about this product.
    Boxes can be resealed. There is no Topps logo on the cello wrap.
    People have been known to pick the refractor (1 per box) and refill boxes.
    Good luck but I wouldnt take that chance
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Only three feedbacks as a seller, one from 2005, 2008, and 2009. This is their only card-related auction. Someone is gonna get these boxes on the CHEAP if it's not shilled.
    Only three feedbacks as a seller, one from 2005, 2008, and 2009. This is their only card-related auction. Someone is gonna get these boxes on the CHEAP if it's not shilled.

What's a cheap price for 40 '93 finest boxes with no refractors?

<< <i>What's a cheap price for 40 '93 finest boxes with no refractors? >>

$NAD
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Something is fishy about this, whether it be the shrink wrap, the opportunity for shilling, the seller's background...

What struck me was this part of the description:

FRESH OUT OF 3 AND 6 BOX FACTORY CASES. EACH OF THESE BOXES WAS TAKEN BY MYSELF FROM DIRECTLY FROM FACTORY SEALED CASES BACK IN THE YEAR OF ISSUE. HAVE NO CONCERNS HERE AS TO AUTHENTICITY. THESE ARE 100 PERCENT THE REAL DEAL.

Is it possible this is true? Yes, but how many of us bought 40 boxes worth of product in the early 1990s, took all of the boxes out of the cases, then sat on them for almost 20 years? Just for storage purposes, it is easier to keep the cases sealed.

Also, why would you be selling approximately $10k of wax boxes and be posting your listing from eBay's Android platform? I tend to laugh when I see big ticket items posted with a smartphone.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked this listing again and it is over $5200.

In the description he states that many more sealed boxes will be listed and they are indeed. Quite a few to choose from.

Good luck if anyone is going after this auction. I checked the watch count and it is at 209. Lot of eyeballs on this one for sure!
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how did you check the watch count? I have never seen that before without being the seller?
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchcount.com

Just type in 1993 Finest and there you have it
    Crazy. There is a web answer for everything!!
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Very unique and exciting lot but I've got to question if there is really any way to get your money back out of it (other than holding and selling in the future)?

The base cards have no market so essentially you are paying a motherload for 40 jumbo box toppers and 40 random refractors (and who knows about the centering?)

Likely only $2000-$2500 in cards. Could end up with Pat Listach, Ron Gant, Cal Eldred and an O/C Nolan Ryan (but the again the elusive PSA 10 Orestes Destrades could be yours).

But if you have the means by all means...
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • This would be a great group rip if we could guarantee the authenticity....
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    I agree with all yall.
    IT does seem odd he took the boxes out of the case if he never wanted to open them in the first place. If you are paying 10k for this stuff. Id wait for a full case or something.
    If it sells for low enough, you could make quick money by parting it out box by box.

Maybe you could sell the individual boxes until you just made your money back, then gamble by opening the rest of the boxes and grading the refractors. Dunno... I don't have that kind of scratch, so I'm just spectating.
    But wouldnt he need to check the auth? of them? If so how can he without opening the seal around the boxes?
    I suppose you can open one, if it's not authentic, file a SNAD and get your money back.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for $12k+.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    If you notice he has a lot of doubles of players on top. I know its pretty popular to get a box with
    a star or a player you collect on top. He probably tried to do a whole set of box tops thats why
    they were taken out of the case? I would love a Griffey on top along with a 94 95 Finest and Bowmans Best boxes..
    Brett and Gwynn are his biggest names there and a lot of no names... I doubt he would have got doubles in a case
    or 2?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    "ALL SALES ARE FINAL. "

He should just sell them to BBCEXchange if legit.

Good theory on the box tops I didnt think of that.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭✭
    Another word of caution to look out for (from Jan 1994 issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly) is that people have opened the shrinkwrap from the boxes, removed the Jumbo All-Star card, then reshrinkwrapped the box. So be careful about that also.
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

No he shouldn't.

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised to see them go for $12k+. >>

Already up over $10k, 9 hours left.
  • If he could make his money on one sale,then he's doing the right thing. I do find it hard for Steve of BBCE to really authenticate a box as being untampered as far as resealed if there isn't a company indentifier on the shrink wrap.
    $14,211!!!
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$14,211!!! >>

Someone needs to explain how someone thought $355 a box was a the right price.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Only two people bid more than $5,111, and both people above that had decent feedback numbers. Whoever won is probably going to piece it out, as the risk/reward of not knowing if the boxes are authentic prohibits any money to be made from opening them.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
    Especially since the last one that sold on ebay went for $220.46 shipped.
    absolutely ridiculous.
    Steve sells these boxes for $295 each and someone paid $355 each for 40 boxes from ebay, lol.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    big green balls.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Does Steve have any?

Good for you.
  • Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • If they were in sealed cases, I would understand but still believe they overpaid. Maybe someone is still back in 1993 and paying 1993 prices. Maybe someone with deep pockets wants to relive those days! More power to them if so!

• << <i>

<< <i>$14,211!!! >>

Someone needs to explain how someone thought $355 a box was a the right price. >>

Dave,

There is no explanation for that kind of coin getting dropped....that is stupid money if they don't get 4 PSA 10's Refractors of Ryan, Piazza, Destrade, Key, Williams & Hershiser. The base cards sell ok in PSA 10 but not worth this.

The 3 Boxes I have bought since 2006 I spent an average of $200 for and got 2 Key PSA 9's and a Buhner PSA 9 out of I'm a buyer in the $200 Range but not at $355.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$14,211!!! >>

Someone needs to explain how someone thought $355 a box was a the right price. >>

Dave,

There is no explanation for that kind of coin getting dropped....that is stupid money if they don't get 4 PSA 10's Refractors of Ryan, Piazza, Destrade, Key, Williams & Hershiser. The base cards sell ok in PSA 10 but not worth this.

The 3 Boxes I have bought since 2006 I spent an average of $200 for and got 2 Key PSA 9's and a Buhner PSA 9 out of I'm a buyer in the $200 Range but not at $355.

-John >>

John,
    I have to say, you did real well with the (3) refractors you pulled from those boxes...tough cards!!! Maybe this box lot has all of the Hershisers and Destrades?

Mark

Good call. Why get $14k at auction when you can get $9k from BBCE? If I decide to sell my collection please let me know if you're willing to be my consignor.

As far as the price, it's pretty high but when you consider it's probably the biggest hoard of '93 Finest left out there it makes a little sense. I'd be scared s-less that they would've been re-shrinkwrapped, but I guess you could open one at random and figure that out right away. Logic dictates there are probably several SPs in these boxes, since they were actually produced in equal quantities and they have to be somewhere. Why not in a 40 box hoard? It's not like someone was hoarding Orestes Destrade back in the mid 90s or backdooring them from Topps.
    Glad I dont collect this carp. Good call nuts.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>$14,211!!! >>

Dave,

-John >>

John,
    I have to say, you did real well with the (3) refractors you pulled from those boxes...tough cards!!! Maybe this box lot has all of the Hershisers and Destrades?

Mark >>

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky with the boxes I have gotten. I hope it was a dealer who bought them and can flood the market with 30 PSA 10's I think I'm about 70 short of completing this set in PSA 10.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.