Home U.S. Coin Forum

Two Vermont NewP's off ebay last night......

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had been watching these two pieces for the duration, and then used good old auctionsniper to pick them off at the last 5 seconds. The first, this is a Ryder 13 which is a product of the Vermont contract coinage from Machins Mills. Im not sure how to understand this coin....but it seems like there is an old lacquer, or something...on the surface. A few scattered planchet flows appear on the obverse also. What I really liked here was the extreme detail in the hair on the obverse, Id say this is XF detail. This piece is very odd in that besides being one of the two finest engraved (with the R27) pieces in the Vermont series, it is coupled up with a horrid worn and reground Britannia reverse. Why? who knows. But, thats the way they all are. This piece is one of the most common vermont coins, with an estimated 1200 survivors.

imageimage

The second is a quite scarce piece in the Vermont coinage, again a product of Machins Mills. Overall this type is known as the standard bust right, and the different varieties are known by the letter spacing, punctuation, and reverse coupling. This one is the Ryder 19, rated as an R5 piece with about 50-60 surviving. There is one UNC known, a few other higher grade pieces, but most of them are VF and lower. This one....has suffered some post mint damage. First, and quite obvious, is the hole. *WHY* someone would choose to hole this fairly ugly coin and wear it around their neck is unfathomable. In addition, they took some time to dent inward, to raise and deform part of the rims. UGH. The good thing here, is that the detail on the coin is very good. Gradewise, its details high VF, but these problems are...well, problems. Im very seriously considering sending this piece to Allan Stockton for 'restoration and repair'. This seems like a piece that would benefit from some TLC, and well within his capabilities to restore the rims and dentils, and also to fill and reengrave the lost hair detail where it has been holed. Whether this is ethical or not can be debated till the cows come home but I think in the long run, based on the rarity of the piece, well worth the costs. Surface porosity is found on nearly all known of this variety. The strange look above the lettering on the right of the obverse is a large die crack, that is a diagnostic for the variety, in addition to the wide spacing of the O and N on the obverse. Only a small handful of these have reached auction over the last decade. It is a rare bird, Hinckley having only one and Bonjour listing two. Too bad about the damage but maybe that's what held this coin from heavy circulation wear. The sharpness of the lettering and quality of the planchet is well above average.

imageimage

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into colonials very much, but I went out to your gold dollar site and WOW!!!!!!

You need to get them all in the correct holder and put up a set in "THE" Registry.image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would have no ethical problem with you having a coin, like #2, repaired, so long as you and future owners disclose such to future buyers. I know that I would not enjoy a coin with heavy damage.

Then again, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s...
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I'm not into colonials very much, but I went out to your gold dollar site and WOW!!!!!!

You need to get them all in the correct holder and put up a set in "THE" Registry.image >>

He just needs to start adding more coins to that set...I don't care if they are common or not! imageimage

Those are some sweet Colonials. I have 2 VERY worn down Machins Mills pieces. They are slugs!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then again, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s... >>

Nice Mad Lib! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with repairing the hole, not sure about the rims. I've seen many early coppers with similar rim damage and I think it just goes with the deal.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Hi Ambro51,
    I am enjoying watching your Vermont collection take shape! I can't believe I let that Vermont RR-19 get by me. You would have probably still won it, but you would have paid more for it ;-) .... I spent a minute looking at the hole, and didn't bother attributing the variety! RR-19's normally come on very bad planchets, yours has very nice surfaces. Good job! As for your Vermont RR-13, this was actually the 6th use of the Machin's 87-C die. It was a real workhorse. It was worn out by the time it made the Vermont, no intentional grinding or other alterations involved. This die was used on 5 different Machin's/Atlee varieties before being matched up with the Vermont obverse to produce the RR-13. If you haven't seen the Vermont book by Tony Carlotto yet, you are in for a real treat when you open it up for the first time.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lakeshore, enjoyed your comments. The Vermont quest has been delightful! As to the degeneration of the reverse die on the R13 I agree that it is more wear than grinding. However, at this late date...all of our speculation is mostly that...speculation. A few R13's are detailed enough on the reverse that the full BRITANNIA can be dechiphered with effort. No doubt it was slightly odd to have that on the reverse of an ' american ' coin and even at that early date in history, Id not eliminate the possibility that the die was intentionally ground or simply USED since the legend was so worn away.

I have Tonys' book, and have met him. As I understand, he is slowly collecting data in the effort to do a second edition, but will only do that when he feels he has enough new information to make it worthwhile. The book is difficult to find and sells for up to 300$ from different sources. I got mine from Chris Victor McCawley for a reasonable 80$. Tony took tons of images of my MS ryder 10 and in any rewrite, this will be well featured.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The crudeness of the hole and the wear pattern on coin #2 lead me to believe it wasn't for suspension. No, instead I think it served another purpose.
    I like them both and the personality of this series is attractive and a bit mystical.

Those are a great pair of additions.

peacockcoins

• "Tony took tons of images of my MS ryder 10 and in any rewrite, this will be well featured. "

As well it should be! It is a tremendous coin.....

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realone, yes I said that but part of "that" is how I split up learning a series. I have read and stored my knowledge of the Rupert issues and now I am studying , and collecting, the machins mills contract coinage. There is little in common between the two mints I wish for instance my mindset was so directed when the Ryder1 immune Columbia sold on eBay earlier this year. Plus, and a big factor I hadn't bought a coin for six weeks or so. image. Plus the price on the pair (same seller /dealer Ana member) .... I thought was very fair under $400 for both. I can't wait to really examine the 13 ~~~ there's a wealth of detail on that obverse rivaling Carlottos plate coin in detail. Part of me thinks it MAY have an old collectors 'treatment' on it.....for certain that detail has been preserved and that coin has been in collections since the late 18th century. I love this stuffimage. Can you imagine haw many numismatists have looked at this thing?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like the top one. im not into holed coin but just the same nice coin image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file