Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think about this very recent Walker Heritage Auction?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1162&lotNo=8704

This 1946 looks nicer than a MS66 to me, any opinions?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin in the link went for 3 x NGC 66 money. It actually went for more then PCGS 66 + money so no one gave it away. Great eye appeal. I don't think it's a 67 but it is a beauty. MJ

<This 1946 looks nicer than a MS66 to me, any opinions?> the coin in the link is a 1947.
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Sloppy central devices and hit to jaw on obverse make 66 about right to me.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with MJ and Mark. 66 seems about right -- also see the reeding mark on the reverse.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a 67 at all, maybe, maybe a 66+ as the right field is cleaner than normal, at least for this date.

Maybe it looks better than the 1936 NGC 66+ in the same sale.

Still it looks really good for the date, I wonder if eye appeal factors into the grade on a coin that normally come not so nice?

It sold for a lot more than the other 46's in the sale, even the other CAC coins and CAC does not not take the Star into account.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marks on the reverse limit the grade, most def.

Big price difference and population drop when you get to 67.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    This is scary,i am really starting to did Walkers,even white ones.MJ,its catching pal,and you have to make FUN.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    so it looks like the seller did great on this one?

Does this 1947 NGC 66 look nicer than this 1936 MS66+ CAC coin?

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1162&lotNo=8597

edit - typo date

• Options
    1) For accuracy purposes the pictured coin is a 1947-P and not a 1946-P

2) CAC does not sticker or give credence to either Plus or Star designated coins. It only stickers the numerical grade on the holder.

3) Like it or not some years and mint marks are graded differently whether consciously or unconsciously done.

4) The value in the 1947-P in 66* is the eye appeal and not the technical grade. It has superior eye appeal to the pictured 1936-P in66+. JMHO.

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I dont know about the 46 ( since the 47 is pictured) but the 47 is no way a 66. I have 63's that are better than that. What do they look at when they grade these coins? I cant believe it.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no doubt collectors out there that buy based on the number of grade modifiers a coin has. This one has 2. That alone could account for
    the price regardless of overall pq-ness. A lot of starred coins lack the technical qualities of the grade and were bumped solely for color, blast or eye appeal.
    Those typically won't get stickered. So here's a case of a starred coin that is technically correct for the grade. I don't think there are a lot of * + sticker coins
    out there. If one were assembling a white starred set and wanted stickers as well....that could be a difficult search. One "could" roughly equate the piece to a
    66+ coin which could indeed by worth 3X MS66 money. The price jump from 66 to 67 is huge here so even at 3X MS66 money it's a long ways from 67 prices.
    If you want a real solid all there stickered 67 you'd probably have to pay 8-10X MS66 money or more (ie for every 16 stickered 66's there is only 1 stickered 67).

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    The entire auction was up and down on Walkers. I took the time last night (long) to watch the Walkers (had bids on 3, won 2 for low money). it was all over the place. There was a common date 36 in a 64 holder that went north of 1K!!!! It was bland, looked like a solid 4 even in the OG holder. Some stupid money went flying that is what I witnessed.

Oh I won a (8673) 42-S in 65 for 260 and (8680) a 43-S in 65 for 160- go figure.. yes I viewed the pics and with this new 32" monitor they will fit my set nicely.

Was it a full moon in NY last night?

• Options
    I overpaid for this last night. when I viewed in hand I smiled.It says so in my notes. MJ

• Options

<< <i>I overpaid for this last night. when I viewed in hand I smiled.It says so in my notes. MJ

image >>

Sorry for bidding that one up on you. Some got another real monster toned one away from me after paying up for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file