Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINALLY completed my Lincoln set at the Houston Money show with this 09-SVDB! (and my 11-D also)! -

Had a great time at the Houston Money Show yesterday. Met a few forum members for the first time so that was pleasant! I started collecting my Lincolns in 2004 when I was still in college, and like many Lincoln cellectors, had only the 09-SVDB left for the longest time. I've had all of the others since about 2007 but have never had the extra money to finish the set until now. I don't have many numismatist friends so most people can't see past the fact that I just spend "that much money on a penny."

Anyways, I just got home from work and took these pics while there was still some sunlight. Just natural light here on a white paper. The scratches on the plastic show up horribly in my photos, but it's about the best I could get with point-and-shoot. Let's see if you can look past all of that and still figure out what grade these cents are. Only clue is they are in PCGS holders. image

Yay for completing the set!!!

And before you jump all over me about the flaws in the 11-D, look at the one it replaced in my set (it HAD to go!):
Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Nice job. It feels good I bet.
    Collector
  • Options
    AU 53
    AU 50

(in that order)
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Looking at that 11 that you replaced... I just vomited a little in my mouth.

Congratulations on completing the set... Ahhh, now what? Upgrades or a different set?

If you don't mind, tell us a little about your set (Or is it registered so you can give us a link). Did you have a minimum grade/color etc? Are they all in PCGS or is some raw or in other TPG slabs?

Thanks for sharing, this is a milestone that I never completed... image

Ray
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I think someone was pitching pennies with that s-vdb slab.image
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job, JF. Congrats for a job well done.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Won't reveal the grade just yet, give a few more people time if they want to give it a try.

Mr. Paseo, the set is pretty disjointed right now... but it's all there.

When I first got started I pretty much had anything ranging from the 11D I just replaced (although that was by far the worst). Most are VG-XF going up until the late 30s, and all raw. I have been going back and upgrading to PCGS coins for uniformity in presentation/storage. I have most of the 30s-50s in MS66 and I'm getting the earlier ones here and there in varying grades. I typically have a price limit in my head for certain coins and buy the highest grade I can at that limit. Have the 09 VDB in 64RD, 09-S in VF20, 14-D in VG10 and 31-S in AU50. Not the highest grade set but plenty of room for upgrades. image

I also have a Lincoln Memorial Proof set that is almost entirely 69DCAM except for a few of the tough ones. Had started registries for the business strikes and the proofs but haven't updated anything since 2007 or so.

Edited for my bad spelling
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't completed a full set as of yet so ...............I hate you Joe!
    Wait! Yes I did complete a set but my ex stole it (I almost forgot about it and I wish I did forget about it) image

It's a good feeling, ain't it?

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    very very nice-nothing beats taking ones time and finding exactly what fits, what
    does not, and the rush when it falls into place.

and that feeling is not faked, you must live it image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JUST A GUESS

Tom

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    good job, way to stick with it. Hopefully you saw the Mr Lincoln impresonator at the show.
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! One of the more challenging and satisfying sets in numismatics! image. Now you have to get the matte proofs to round it out image

I would guess AU58 and AU55. Nice additions.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now celebrate by getting yourself some PlastX and polish that slab! image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have many numismatist friends so most people can't see past the fact that I just spend "that much money on a penny." >>

Man, can I relate to that joefro.

Congrats on finishing your set.
    I'm WAY behind you.
    As a matter of fact I have only 61 of 140 wheat cents so far. image

Five years into it and I figure another six or seven should get it to completion.

BTW, you're '09 S VDB looks AU55 to me.
    I'd be proud to have that one.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just vomited a little in my mouth. >>

We call that a "VIMMAL" (vomited in my mouth a little).

Oh, and 55, 45.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finishing that set. It always feels good to 'plug that last hole' , so to speak......

What's next ?
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Everyone is guessing AU on your S VDB, but while the image is hard to work with, it appears
    to have nice luster and good color. I will guess MS 63 RB.
  • Options
    I am going to have to figure out how to get better pictures of this SVDB. It is currently sitting in a PCGS MS63RD Old Green Holder. The slab scratches aren't really that visible in hand but look awful in the pics. The reverse on this coin is very nice, very uniform redness and a strong strike with very strong VDB. The obverse also doesn't have any major hits, although most here seem to agree the rub (which also looks much worse in this pic) makes it an AU slider. We'll see if I can snap some better pictures to change your minds hehe. image I am very happy with this coin, this is a great 09-SVDB to look at in hand. I saw many other RD and RB 63s at the show with major dings, spots, or woodgraining that I am not a fan of and were much higher in price.

As for the 11-D, it is in a PCGS AU50 holder and was purchased from the JJ Teaparty Booth. Thanks for playing!

Happy Sunday everyone!
  • Options
    Ok, took these pics with inside lighting, point and shoot. A little better at showing the luster on this coin and the scratches aren't quite as bad.

• Options
    Congrats! What a great feeling to finish that set.
    David
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at that 11 that you replaced... I just vomited a little in my mouth.

Ray >>

Says the guy with a Lincoln that has a major wound in it for an avatar!! image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good going and its a great achievement regardless of grades.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file