Home Precious Metals
Options

Will 2011 ATB "Bullion" become Numismatic due to low mintage?

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
Section 5112 of title 31, United States Code, is amended by inserting after subsection (t) (as added by title I of this Act) the following new subsection: ``(u) Silver Bullion Investment Product.--
``(2) Availability for sale.--Bullion coins minted under paragraph (1)--
``(A) shall become available for sale no sooner than the first day of the calendar year in which the circulating quarter dollar of which such bullion coin is a duplicate is issued; and
``(B) may only be available for sale during the year in which such circulating quarter dollar is issued.

Chickasaw 5 oz Silver sales: 22,300

Anyone going to buy a few for mintage reasons if these numbers stay low for the rest of the year?
Will there be a last minute sales bump for the last 3 issues as dealers realize unsold units will be melted?

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Interest is waning. Expect even lower numbers next year, which may or may not be a good thing. I hope their is less interest, less competition to complete a full DMPL 69 Set.
    However less dealers grading 69 DMPLs on the market means higher prices perhaps if there are more collectors going after less available 69 DMPLs. My guess is dealers will not order more. The PCGS DMPLs are popular, but don't follow the market for the raw versions.
  • Options
    I thought so with the 2010 sets. However, I'm now sitting on 50 oz (2010 bullion and 2010 P-pucks) that I might be able to barely break even on. I'll definitely lose on the P-pucks but would make up for that loss with a small profit on the bullion pucks.

It's kind of a wash at this point. Hopefully silver spot goes back to 40-50 soon so I can sell these things.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    When were these released? I see the Vick's hanging kinda low to.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will 2011 ATB "Bullion" become Numismatic due to low mintage? >>

No, they may well become expensive bullion, but still just bullion.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, it's too big for my pocket

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see similarities between the ATB Pucks and the Gold Spouses. Different price points result in a different baseline for sales, but both exhibited the same relatively fast dropoff from the initial feeding frenzy.

I wonder if people are just having a problem with a large silver coin that costs between $230 and $280 right out of the gate, especially when there are 10 varieties to keep up with each year. Years 2, 3, 4 and 5 will give us some interesting data points in trying to establish which will be the keys and which will develop premiums.

It's been 4 years already for the Gold Spouses, which are at a critical juncture right now - and it will take awhile for this to happen with the ATB Pucks. I don't think we've hit bottom on the mintages yet, by any means. But we will.image

I don't see the subject matter as a problem for the ATBs, like I do for the Gold Spouses - in fact, I do like their designs. I think that the size is a drawback in terms of maintaining an actual collection of the ATB Pucks, especially since you can't really put them in a display without setting up a 5 ft. x 12 ft. table.image

Give it another year or two, and if 10,000 starts to look like a large mintage, it will be time to wade in with both feet. Depending on how the Mint sequences them, it might be the end-of-the-year issues that get short-struck. Before you know it, assembling a complete collection won't be very easy.

And hey, they will always be silver. In my book, that makes them "perfectly collectible" in a very good sorta way.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yes. Expect low mintages. I thing the collector base may be larger than the spouses, but definitely interest is waning. 33K for the 2010s most likely will not be the lowest mintage year. Of course the APs could see what is happening and make a run on the Chickasaw eliminating it as a low mintage. Much like they are doing with the Gold Spouses.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it will be very interesting to see the final sales figures for 2011 pucks.

When those number are released in early 2012, if in fact the Chick stays 30k or below,
    I wager that Chicks will then increase in value above the others right away.

Of course as pf70 stated, there could be a big run on both Chicks and Vicks to close the year.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    They had huge hype. It will take a while for them to bottom out.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finally recovered from the gold spouses.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    Have Seven 2010 sets and One 2011 in bullion versions. Two sets of the 2010 P versions. In deep for the 2011s, not so for the 2010 bullion versions–bought when silver was $30/ounce. Can always hope for silver at $100 ounce.
  • Options

<< <i>I think it will be very interesting to see the final sales figures for 2011 pucks.

When those number are released in early 2012, if in fact the Chick stays 30k or below,
    I wager that Chicks will then increase in value above the others right away.

Of course as pf70 stated, there could be a big run on both Chicks and Vicks to close the year. >>

If one were waiting to pull the trigger on some Chicks'nVix.......how long would one wait? It's now December 3rd. If a run were to develop, shouldn't we be seeing it by now?
  • Options
    Maybe the APs are overstocked so maybe they want no more of the 2011s.
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 156 ✭✭
    I can see the Mint terminating the "P" pucks which, like uncirculated Eagles, do not have to be produced. This would reduce the saturation of the 5oz ATB market.