Home Precious Metals
Options

Ever heard of the GPAA? Wanna see my largest gold nugget found so far?

Don't laugh, when I was a kid I joined the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Association of America) and spent many years panning in AZ and NM. I recently busted out my sluice box, pans, claim books and such to look for a place here in S. Texas. I don't see one so I will need to do some searching (any help would be appreciated) and went through the box my mom packed (all GPAA stuff) before she passed of cancer in 2004 and low and behold next to my sniffer bottle was my vial of gold!!! Free Gold!! There is 5.4 grams of powder and a few tiny pickers and this, my biggest picker at .4 grams, but hey, it is gold, it was free (not really.....GPAA cost + gas + lunch + laundry detergent+depreciation on equipment - my nugget and flakes = well, do it for the fresh air, exercise and fun) Well I just wanted to share a slow, beautiful, 70 degree Sunday as I drink a Corona.

Do you prospect?

Comments

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I feel like you are censoring the ASE behind it.
  • Options
    Find a place near us Eric and we can split the findings for the day. I have a sluice and a wet dredge even along with pans and all the good stuff. Just need a place to prospect. I am sure there is a place around here somewhere.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I was a member for years. Got a lot of exercise and fresh air. Not near any streams here in Las Vegas,
    so the desert was my only choice. Met a lot of nice snakes, spiders and wild horses and burros.
    Here's the total sum of my years of looking: .6 gram.
    bobimage

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Those are some nice pickers Bob and it sure beats sitting at home picking something else!!! Did you use a dry dredge or did you bring water and pan it out?
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickers, guys! Thanks for sharing.

Do some searches on Llano River gold. That seems to be the one Texas location that gets mentioned the most. Mostly fines but at least it's color.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Did neither. Metal detected them. Would love to do it again and still have all my equipment
    but my shoulders just can't swing a detector anymore. Have to eyeball them and you know
    what that will get me!

bobimage
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to mention that Buzzards book is my favorite read (short stories).

Link to one on Ebay

bobimage

PS: not my auction
  • Options
    Geeezzzzz- the Massie Family, a name I haven't heard in a long time!! I don't even know if the GPAA and the Massie's are still doing their thing.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Gold. What's not to like.
    Try some real beer. You might like itimage
  • Options
    I home brew too, just don't want a 10% alcohol beer tonight! My brew put Sammy Adam triple bock to shame!
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    I did some panning. It seemed all I was doing was washing the same dirt someone else had washed.
    Only got some microscopic specks.
    Went back to fishing.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds guys
    Thanks for sharing !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing.