Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

CSA grading company

Does anyone know anything about CSA. There is a Star basketball card I might buy that is graded by them. I'm not really concerned about the integrity of the grade.... Really just concerned about the authenticity. I've never heard of CSA so I'm approaching it like buying a raw card.... But if anyone knows anything about them I'd like their opinion.
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I can't even find a website for them, which leads me to believe it may just be a basement company.
  • I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • from what i've heard the blue flips are pretty reliable while the clear ones are usually trimmed.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Never trust a Canadian.
  • I guess they finally went out of business.
    CSA was the second oldest grading company. They started right after PSA.
    I believe it's Certified Sports(or sportscard) Authenticators.
    Their first holders and flip (also red) were identical to PSA.
    They later changed it to an ugly holder with a blue insert to hold the card later on.
    Finally, they tried to revamp their company promising more consistent grading and
    offered an elite service which showed subgrades and a clear insert and new logo.
    Obviously it didn't work. Don't know how good they were on catching counterfeits.

http://www.csagrading.com/

edited to add that the above link is a new CSA company using the same acronym.

Some samples below of original CSA:

First holder and label....

Second holder and label (uggglyy).....

Third and final holder and label.....

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ...could you imagine if PSA did $1000 VIP memberships with unlimited free grading for a year?
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Either that is the best cut I've ever seen for an opc card or it's trimmed/sheet cut. Guess I'll stay away. Thanks for the info
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • This new CSA is really trying to fool collectors into thinking they are PSA-like. Take a look at the holder front and back here.

Even the back looks like a PSA holder.
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.

• << <i>Tamper Proof Holders Our cardholder is the only one designed to capture grading and other useful information at the top of the holder, thus allowing the collector to easily navigate their collection without having to take each card out of its storage box. It is widely considered one of the best trading card holders in the industry. >>

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original CSA (Certified Sports Authentication) was a "franchise" spin-off of ASA - acugrade - which was owned by Alan Hager.

Back in the early 90s - ASA was advertising in SCD the sale of franchises with training and everything - if I ever come across an SCD with the ad - I'm gonna post it - was very interesting.

I'm thinking that CSA was out of Ohio. I don't think they have a web anymore.

So - this new version - appears to be a knockoff - the Nolan Ryan cards looks like the old flip for CSA - Ohio/USA - but I may be wrong - my recollection is that CSA changed their flip during their existence. Most felt they may have been honest at the onset - but quickly went the way of GEM or even GAI in their final hours of desperation.

I know nothing about the CSA to the north.
    Mike
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    The CSA Set Registry is awesome!
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The original CSA (Certified Sports Authentication) was a "franchise" spin-off of ASA - acugrade - which was owned by Alan Hager.

Back in the early 90s - ASA was advertising in SCD the sale of franchises with training and everything - if I ever come across an SCD with the ad - I'm gonna post it - was very interesting.

I'm thinking that CSA was out of Ohio. I don't think they have a web anymore.

So - this new version - appears to be a knockoff - the Nolan Ryan cards looks like the old flip for CSA - Ohio/USA - but I may be wrong - my recollection is that CSA changed their flip during their existence. Most felt they may have been honest at the onset - but quickly went the way of GEM or even GAI in their final hours of desperation.

I know nothing about the CSA to the north. >>

You are correct. They were out of Ohio and the owners first name was Sean
  • VIP service is for 20 cards at a time, you pay shipping to and from.