Home U.S. Coin Forum

i just got scr_wed on Ebay!

I paid for this auction by sending the seller three money orders (which they agreed to) and they said they sent the coin. I got the 1916 I bought from them but when I sent last payment on the 1913 they said the coin was already shipped. Ebay sited in their favor as I paid with money orders instead of their approved methods. The link to 1913 buff. I have a $6 Ebay certificate which I will use and never use Ebay again. I am so tired of their cr_p. It aint worth it.

Buyer beware!!!!!!!!
Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    You didn't follow the buyer protection policy and this is somehow eBay's fault?

Russ, NCNE
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long has it been since they say they sent the 1913? Did they ship insured?
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ebay's fault.
    Why did you pay with money orders? How much money did you "save"?

Pursue it with the seller, but ebay can't do much when you work outside their system.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• How is any of this the fault of eBay?
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is ebay's fault? I thought it is seller's issue?
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should have ended your statement with "seller beware" as you changed the
    preferred payment or even the acceptable payment method.
    No fault of Ebay that you did this.

Now, I have to ask why you opted to pay via money orders. Paypal does not have to be
    backed by a Credit Card as you can link it to your checking account (at least you used to
    be able to).

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I paid for this auction by sending the seller three money orders (which they agreed to) and they said they sent the coin. I got the 1916 I bought from them but when I sent last payment on the 1913 they said the coin was already shipped. Ebay sited in their favor as I paid with money orders instead of their approved methods. The link to 1913 buff. I have a $6 Ebay certificate which I will use and never use Ebay again. I am so tired of their cr_p. It aint worth it.

Buyer beware!!!!!!!! >>

I hope you get that last coin that was shipped and all turns out okay.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Hate to say it but it is because you didnt work through paypal that you are in the predicament you are in.
  • The seller had a typo in his title it says ngc certified when its really pcgs.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    You didn't heed eBay's warnings about using unapproved and unsafe payment menthods, now you blame ebay???
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • I thought ebay set in place a mandate requiring Delivery Confirmation on items of a certain value ?
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought ebay set in place a mandate requiring Delivery Confirmation on items of a certain value ? >>

PayPal handles that side of the house.
  • ahhh.. thanks LD
  • Sorry, but I must side with the others here. It wasn't ebay's fault it went bad, and they don't guarantee to reimburse things not paid for by PayPal.

I bought 1/4 ounce of gold a few months ago that I never received, and there was never a response from the seller. I filed everything required and had a total reimbursement quickly. The seller had great feedback til then, but was NARU'd soon after.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • We should stop saying it is his fault. What happened to him is disgraceful and I will never shop from the seller.

Best, NP

• << <i>We should stop saying it is his fault. What happened to him is disgraceful and I will never shop from the seller.

Best, NP >>

I assume the seller will bear up upon hearing that news. image
    Seriously though, you have no reason not to buy from him based on one alleged transaction.
    Sometimes the people here are extremely quick to judgment based on little, if any, evidence.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We should stop saying it is his fault. What happened to him is disgraceful and I will never shop from the seller.

Best, NP >>

While I agree with the above the OP still was bashing ebay and that just didn't seem fair.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We should stop saying it is his fault. What happened to him is disgraceful and I will never shop from the seller.

Best, NP >>

I agree. He is out his money due to no paying w/PayPal but the seller is a crook and it is his fault.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    I love this line from the seller's profile: I TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY THAT I WANT TO BE TREATED!!!

<< <i>I paid for this auction by sending the seller three money orders (which they agreed to) and they said they sent the coin. I got the 1916 I bought from them but when I sent last payment on the 1913 they said the coin was already shipped. Ebay sited in their favor as I paid with money orders instead of their approved methods. The link to 1913 buff. I have a $6 Ebay certificate which I will use and never use Ebay again. I am so tired of their cr_p. It aint worth it.

Buyer beware!!!!!!!! >>

You didn't neg him yet?
  • I just had funds put on hold by ebay/paypal this AM. Pretty pissed off. Scrapped probably $800 in auctions that were going to end this Sunday, jacked the price through the moon on the Ikes I had listed, and added a note about contacting me if you'd like to purchase for a reasonable price.

Go ahead, hold my $260 for three weeks, a-holes. You just cost yourself well north of $100 in final value fees.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bought from this seller a couple of times with no issues, which does not reflect upon this purchase of yours. But agreeing with most, it should not be thrown out against ebay(while they deserve much worse for other "crimes"). I also do not see reason from op's post to throw the seller under the bus with such little info.
    A few questions:

1. I did not see your response as to whether the seller had provided you with a tracking number or not.
    2. When was the sale finalized and seller had funds inhand?
    3. What has the seller responded with regarding insurance and such or at all?

Best of luck,
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

• << <i>I just had funds put on hold by ebay/paypal this AM. Pretty pissed off. Scrapped probably $800 in auctions that were going to end this Sunday, jacked the price through the moon on the Ikes I had listed, and added a note about contacting me if you'd like to purchase for a reasonable price.

Go ahead, hold my $260 for three weeks, a-holes. You just cost yourself well north of $100 in final value fees. >>

Yep, that'll show 'em all right!
  • coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may have avoided this whole problem if you had checked here first.Toolhaus
  • Ebayers dont have to go to toolhaus anymore , just click on the number in the neg coloumn.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Although I agree you have to follow ebay rules if you want them to help you, I see money orders, cash, checks, etc as an acceptable form of payment. Don't forget, ebay encourages you to use paypal, not for your protection, but so they can make more money. Money orders ARE an approved method of payment if the buyer suggests it. NO RULE WAS BROKEN. But buy not using paypal, you don't get "buyer protection". This is so far irrelevant in this case. Ebay should side with you in a "not recieved" case. Paypal offers protection beyond that, which you didn't buy. Ebay is getting buyer protection confused with not recieved and you should escalate. Buyer protection would kick in if the seller was to refuse to refund. However, if ebay doesn't side with you in the "not rec'd" claim, then that point is mute.

I believe the other respondents to this thread are also making that mistake.

I am always glad to accept any form of payment except goats and yapstones. Ebay knows the seller is responsible for delivering the coin but is punishing the buyer for not giving them their 3%.

If I were the seller I would ask the buyer to wait a couple of weeks to see if it shows and if it doesn't, refund the money.

--Jerry
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Granted I did go out of Ebays guidelines. I paid them in three payments as my wife has been sick and out of work for the last 2 years so funds are hard to come by. So I had emailed the seller asking if I bought the coin could I pay it out in installments. They agreed so I bought the coin as well as a 1916 buff. I paid the first installment of three plus the cost of the 1916. They got the first money order and promptly shipped the 1916 and I gave them a positive feedback. Every 2 weeks after I made another installment until I paid the last one. I waited a week and no coin. I emailed the seller and they stated that they had already sent the coin. I opened the case with Ebay and they sent the shipping info for the 1916 as proof that they sent it. SO I GUESS EBAY IS TECHNICALLY NOT AT FAULT HERE but I felt that they sided with the seller. I thought I would warn others in case they go out of Ebays guidelines.
    Sounds like the seller forgot about your layaway, sold the coin, and should refund your money. --Jerry

• << <i>Sounds like the seller forgot about your layaway, sold the coin, and should refund your money. --Jerry >>

Also fair to say it sounds like the seller has no intention of refunding.If theres been a dispute and it sounds like there was and the paperwork for the 1916 provided to win the dispute it sounds an awful like the seller has pocketed the money.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller has a lot of inventory. Buy a cheap one and give him the feedback you think he deserves.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

<< <i>Ebayers dont have to go to toolhaus anymore , just click on the number in the neg coloumn. >>

Except that only goes back 12 months, and thus can hide many past transgressions. Toolhaus brings up the entire history.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>

<< <i>Ebayers dont have to go to toolhaus anymore , just click on the number in the neg coloumn. >>

Except that only goes back 12 months, and thus can hide many past transgressions. Toolhaus brings up the entire history.

Russ, NCNE >>

Thats true , most i think would consider using a seller with an active 12 month clean sheet though.Leopards dont usually change their spots.

• << <i>Granted I did go out of Ebays guidelines. I paid them in three payments as my wife has been sick and out of work for the last 2 years so funds are hard to come by. >>

I don't have the facts to back this up but don't you think it is unwise to be buying coins if "funds are hard to come by"?
    I know how the collecting bug is but you seem to have your priorities a bit mixed up.
    Just my 2¢

• << <i>

<< <i>Granted I did go out of Ebays guidelines. I paid them in three payments as my wife has been sick and out of work for the last 2 years so funds are hard to come by. >>

I don't have the facts to back this up but don't you think it is unwise to be buying coins if "funds are hard to come by"?
    I know how the collecting bug is but you seem to have your priorities a bit mixed up.
    Just my 2¢ >>

Your right , you don't have anywhere close to the facts and could have stopped right there. How do you know that the member doesnt mean funds to spend on coins are not easy to come by ? Its how i read it.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You didn't heed eBay's warnings about using unapproved and unsafe payment menthods, now you blame ebay??? >>

only in america image
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. He is out his money due to no paying w/PayPal but the seller is a crook and it is his fault. >>

I think it is too early to call the seller a crook. Just because he did not receive the coin yet, does not mean that the seller did not send it. And the postal service is so slow these days. I am sure there are more details to this that we do not know. Many things are lost in the mail stream. High speed machines tear apart many envelopes and packages-I know this first hand-I work for the PO. Was the package insured? Did the seller use delivery confirmation? I would like to hear the seller's side. I agree with those that say we sometimes rush to judgement too quickly without knowing all the facts from both sides.
    Bob
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I would do this:Call the and talk to them directly and discuss this , then Send the seller a letter asking about the coin and proof it was mailed. I would include copies of your postal money orders receipts and the emails alluding to the details of the transaction. Maybe there is a mix up or error on the sellers part. You have nothing to lose at this point by being tactful and trying to resolve this in this way. He may of thought he sent your coin and was really thinking about the 1916 sounds very plausible considering the person sells a lot of items on ebay. In spite of the feedback there is a good possibility this is all a misunderstanding. Keep in mind if he is a B and M store local reviews and BBB complaints are also options.

<< <i>

<< <i> Many things are lost in the mail stream. High speed machines tear apart many envelopes and packages-I know this first hand-I work for the PO. Was the package insured? Did the seller use delivery confirmation? ...Bob >>

Yes, you would think that at least half the packages are stolen, shredded, broken, pilfered, urinated on or otherwise ruined if your only view of the world was these forums. But as an active ebay seller, I've shipped over 10,000 domestic coin packages in the past 4 years without a single undelivered package. --Jerry

<< <i>

<< <i>Granted I did go out of Ebays guidelines. I paid them in three payments as my wife has been sick and out of work for the last 2 years so funds are hard to come by. >>

I don't have the facts to back this up but don't you think it is unwise to be buying coins if "funds are hard to come by"? I know how the collecting bug is but you seem to have your priorities a bit mixed up. Just my 2¢ >>

I've done layaway before. I always do it off ebay. I cancel the ebay sale and set up a sale on the side since ebay doesn't have a way to deal with partial payments. I have held coins for months with partial payments.

I remember as a poor kid in rural Missouri, my mom would put things we couldn't afford on layaway and sometimes create a lot of stress in the family. This crosses my mind when I get a request for layaway but it is none of my business. The OPs business is none of mine either (or yours). I've never had a layaway customer fail to complete the deal.

--jerry
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, you would think that at least half the packages are stolen, shredded, broken, pilfered, urinated on or otherwise ruined if your only view of the world was these forums. But as an active ebay seller, I've shipped over 10,000 domestic coin packages in the past 4 years without a single undelivered package. --Jerry >>

image Then you know what you are doing and know how to package coins so the machines won't tear them apart-not everyone takes such care. I hope your streak continues. There is nothing worse than mail ordering something and never getting it. I personally have not had anything coming to me lost or stolen- thank God. I did have to collect insurance twice for coins that the buyers said were not delivered. I know how stuff can get misplaced in the wrong containers in the PO and usually it just causes delays. I wait at least two-three weeks for delivery before I start getting annoyed. Bob
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... try an air mattress next time.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

Thats true , most i think would consider using a seller with an active 12 month clean sheet though.Leopards dont usually change their spots. >>

A bunch of leopards changed their spots when eBay eliminated negs for buyers and forced sellers to start actually earning their feedback percentage.

Russ, NCNE
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I would have waited for the post office but the seller sent proof for the 1913 with the tracking number for the 1916 that I got from them. I am hoping that it is a PO problem and not one with this seller. They seem to have a good track record on Ebay so I will hold off any conclusions just yet but it is frustrating.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I read anything about insurance here. How long has it been known that sellers are required to insure their deliveries? What was the fallback plan if the package gets lost? image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• << <i>I paid for this auction by sending the seller three money orders (which they agreed to) and they said they sent the coin. I got the 1916 I bought from them but when I sent last payment on the 1913 they said the coin was already shipped. Ebay sited in their favor as I paid with money orders instead of their approved methods. The link to 1913 buff. I have a $6 Ebay certificate which I will use and never use Ebay again. I am so tired of their cr_p. It aint worth it.

Buyer beware!!!!!!!! >>

bully for you

another fool buys into the Buff

next time think of the old motto- Cover thy A$$ so you don't lose it in the shorts...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file