Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought my first Morgan's tonight...give me your honest input please

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
At coin club this evening an older member of the club offered his early Morgan collection for sale. I don't really do Morgans but he was offering them to club members at $5 over the offer from our local B&M who is well respected by all. This was all done with the dealer's permission and foreknowledge, so no hard feelings on that deal. I picked up the following three coins with no real rhyme or reason other than I liked them and thought they were "can't miss" opportunities to buy.

BUT...I know little to nothing about the series other than what I've picked up admiring coins here...so HIT me with your opinions on these please (Insert fish slapping smiley here). Grade opinoins would be welcome:

1884-O

1880-S

1881-S

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    thanks for the giveaway chance...
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    You are talking just grades, and not value for what you paid for them? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice starter group of morgans

superb images

i would like to own that 81-s and 80-s

nice pick-up

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    The 80-S looks prooflike, while the 84-O looks semi PL- I like the look of the 84-O in general... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you said honest so here goes, the only one I would have even looked at is the 84-O. And as all three are very common coins if you paid more than melt you overpaid; thats my honest opinion. Now if you paid less than spot then you done good.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    About what I had figured for grades, I paid $180 for the group.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About what I had figured for grades, I paid $180 for the group. >>

Sorry to say that is a little too steep. The other grade guesses seem pretty accurate to me, so with that in mind, $40 per coin would be about all I would care to pay. All 3 dates are very common in that condition.

On a side note, 80-S & 81-S are my favorite morgan years for flash, eye appeal and affordability.
    Great photos!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    61PL

Based on the photos, they look like average uncirculated coins whos price will be tied mainly to the price of silver.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    61 or 60

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    84-O MS62
    80-S MS60 PL
    81-S MS62 with bonus color

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About what I had figured for grades, I paid $180 for the group. >>

Somehow I doubt that a local B&M offered $165 for the lot ($5 less per coin). Since this was your first entry into Morgan dollars, I urge you do to some research before you buy more. I would have been thrilled to sell the lot for $180 ... thrilled. If you like the coins then that is all that really matters, but do yourself a favor and learn about new venues in collecting before you spend your money.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    So the average grades assigned so far are:

1884-0 = 62.7
    1880-S = 61.0 - I believe this one would qualify as PL
    1881-S = 62.25

To clarify an observation above. The initial offer was for $5 above dealer offer, with a pseudo auction between interested parties for anything more than one person was interested in, I paid $75 for the 1881-S because I liked the color...that was as high as I was willing to go, and really thought I was going to be outbid on that one. The dealer's offer for the 3 was $140, offering $50 for the 1884-0 and $45 for the other two.

The marks on the cheek of the 1884-0 are much less visible in hand and it is a generally pleasing example IMHO. I'd agree on overpaying...got a little caught up paying for the color on the 1881-S...but it was really the one with the most color out of the group offered, and that was my "goal" for the evening to find one with some nice color...overpaying wasn't necessarily part of the plan.

I'm a big boy and can learn from my mistakes, overall I probably overspent by $40-60, and although I'm not happy about it...I can live with it. Thanks for the honest input for which I had asked.
  • Options

<< <i>So the average grades assigned so far are:

1884-0 = 62.7
    1880-S = 61.0 - I believe this one would qualify as PL
    1881-S = 62.25

To clarify an observation above. The initial offer was for $5 above dealer offer, with a pseudo auction between interested parties for anything more than one person was interested in, I paid $75 for the 1881-S because I liked the color...that was as high as I was willing to go, and really thought I was going to be outbid on that one. The dealer's offer for the 3 was $140, offering $50 for the 1884-0 and $45 for the other two.

The marks on the cheek of the 1884-0 are much less visible in hand and it is a generally pleasing example IMHO. I'd agree on overpaying...got a little caught up paying for the color on the 1881-S...but it was really the one with the most color out of the group offered, and that was my "goal" for the evening to find one with some nice color...overpaying wasn't necessarily part of the plan.

I'm a big boy and can learn from my mistakes, overall I probably overspent by $40-60, and although I'm not happy about it...I can live with it. Thanks for the honest input for which I had asked. >>

Thanks for the neat thread. I hope you don't mind me saying that it is refreshing, your attitude I mean here, and I appreciate it!
    John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like a disease...now you'll have to buy 100 more Morgans!!!

Meanwhile, I'm actually attempting to photograph my own hoard assembled over 30 years...and there are coins in there that I forgot I bought!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First your pictures are really getting good need to send you a few of mine. You did much better than my first experience with morgans bought my only 2 off an auction site 1890 s and a 1890 paid 60 and 70 for both, sent them in to our host with some from mom and dads collection, and those two came back in bodybags cleaned. It was my first lesson and I still have both of them to remind me. If silver heads back up to the 50 dollar mark you will be okay and like you said its about the learning. Thanks for sharing the story and the pictures Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    61PL

At $60 per coin, you could have done better, but I guess you could have done worse, as well.
  • Options

<< <i>63

-Paul >>

+1

Raw I would put the value of the group at around $160 so you didn't over pay by much and if your happy wioth the coins that's all that matters image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great way to promote coins. The dealer might miss out on sales, but the club got fairly priced coins and it keeps them from falling asleep.

image Oh, you wanted my honest opinion on the coins ?
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 84 and 80
    eh so you overpaid a little.

enjoy the coins. thats what is most important
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like your Morgans and know you will enjoy them, as for a comment one person made about getting them for "melt" well that is not possible and I assume they were joking or they don't know the mkt, even the most common dates in that condition do not sell for melt.
    AL
  • Options
    I love the 1880 PL for sure , good buy for $60 image not my series either but nice starter coins ...

gary -
    Ebay Seller Americansilvereagle 800+ feedback
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the 84 and 80
    eh so you overpaid a little.

enjoy the coins. thats what is most important >>

This.

ModCrewman, I like your style. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TRADECOINTRADECOIN Posts: 466 ✭✭
    Is the 1880-s s/s Vam ??
    Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Retired Coin Shop Owner .
    Still Collecting
    Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Before anyone decides to call any of your coins AU, can I just say that you picked out
    three really nice coins? My grades would be:

63+ to 64
    62 PL

I think you need a mask to buy dollars like these for melt.image
  • Options
    Nice coins. I don't think you should have any regrets about the purchase price. Overall I think you did well.
  • Options
    Smaller photos are perhaps a little kinder for evaluation of the overall look.

I knew I was in for a mixed bag of opinions after I took the photos. I'm perhaps most disappointed in the 1880-S, it's a bit baggier than I initially thought.
  • Options
    62+

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file