Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will a coin that is struck from rusted dies be deemed less appealing and thus be graded a point less

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
How do TPG's handle such an example or do they overlook it since it is mint made etc?

Comments

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Rusted dies are a Mint made problem. Even one of the 1804 Dollars has the appearance of rusted
    dies. I find them interesting, while others may not. If it's a rare piece one may have no choice but
    to accept it.
    I wouldn't think a piece would be graded down for it, unless it really affects the eye appeal of the
    coin.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    My experience is with early copper and I have not found TPG or technical grading to suffer because of coins struck from rusted dies, struck through grease, or similiar mint related quality issues. However, from a prices realized standpoint, that seems to be another thing, if the eye appeal is significantly affected. For instance lots 284 and 285 of the Goldbergs 2009 Dan Holmes Sale, Lot 284 is an early die state struck from perfect dies. It hammered for $10,500 in PCGS AU58 holder (Grellman/Noyes graded AU50 Net 45). Lot 285, a very late die state example with heavily rusted dies that were also clogged with grease (admittedly not in a holder, but Grellman/Noyes graded 55 net AU50) hammered at $6,000. Lot 284 is tied for CC#7 in the Condition Census and Lot 285 #4 in the census. I believe the significant difference in hammer prices was due to eye appeal. I viewed both coins and technically the later die state was a bit closer to MS with AU 55 sharpness, very cool, but not as appealing as the perfect die state example, especially if one had to choose, so "he" bought the first.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree with you that they do look at them differently than a normal die. I had a dime I sold
    to MustangGt that was a CC rusted die that I swear was graded 2 point low. But, alas it is what
    it is and now it's Roger's problem!!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    TThe 1833 capped bust quarter is a perfect example of what you refer to. The B2 always comes with rusted dies, and the B1 frequently does as well. I have owned a few examples, and certified two. I haven't ever noticed a deduction for rusted dies, and in more than one case I thought the "rusted" coin was actually OVER graded. Just my observations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file