Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 Lincoln Medal

Not sure exactly what this is? The company name at the bottom is The W & H Co., Newark N.J.. I don't think it's silver. Some type of white metal.

Thanks guys!!

Comments

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what the question is? It's a medal. There were a LOT of Lincoln medals produced in 1909. This is one of the more-common varieties, but I haven't been paying attention to pricing. If you poke around on eBay you can probably find another to compare.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, just wondered what it would be classified as and if it was common.
  • Options
    They must have liked their trinkets back in the day , i have a very similar medal only it shows Columbus and dated 1911 for whatever reason.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fred Reed, "Abraham Lincoln: The Image of His Greatness" page 179 shows a medal with the same design but an award medal whereas yours is not an award or awarded medal. "Fig. 3.11. Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, produced a stock silvered-copper medal for Lincoln essay contests, differing only in the inscription on the reverse. This medal [the one pictured] was awarded in 1909 by the Cincinnati Post (King-486)."

Your medal is exactly the same except for the central reverse inscription. So that may help a bit ...
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fred Reed, "Abraham Lincoln: The Image of His Greatness" page 179 shows a medal with the same design but an award medal whereas yours is not an award or awarded medal. "Fig. 3.11. Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, produced a stock silvered-copper medal for Lincoln essay contests, differing only in the inscription on the reverse. This medal [the one pictured] was awarded in 1909 by the Cincinnati Post (King-486)."

Your medal is exactly the same except for the central reverse inscription. So that may help a bit ... >>

Thank you!
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They must have liked their trinkets back in the day , i have a very similar medal only it shows Columbus and dated 1911 for whatever reason. >>

Probably a Columbus Day medal. There are a lot of them 1910-1911.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They must have liked their trinkets back in the day , i have a very similar medal only it shows Columbus and dated 1911 for whatever reason. >>

Probably a Columbus Day medal. There are a lot of them 1910-1911. >>

Exactly right tmot99 , it commemorates Columbus day on the reverse
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one in bronze, not on a mount though.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file