Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this sellers story?

link

I did a search for rbrown1956 and found nothing previously discussed

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's what comes out of the south end of male bovines.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    and female bovines for that matter!! If it smells like $hit and tastes like $hit it is probably $hit! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    For what it's worth, his buyers seem satisfied enough to leave positive feedback.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Ebay buyers being satisfied really doesn't mean much, as long as they get cheap shipping they usually don't have a clue. My take on the story, it's ebay, enough said.
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay buyers being satisfied really doesn't mean much... >>

I'd think the most important thing is what the buyer thought about the transaction. After all, it's his money. Easy to sit on the sidelines and snipe, though...

edited to add... what makes anyone think that the buyers of these rolls *haven't* considered the story presented, and acted accordingly?
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    They certainly know enough to populate the ends of roll with interesting coins

And where do you get a rolling machine?
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a "roll your own coins" roller to me. Some of those civil war tokens look interesting on the ends of the roll--probably not much in the middle 48 coins. I am not a civil war token collector so I don't know. And No, i do not believe that any 1922 plains were found. As for the 1922 plain on the end of the roll (this one is up to $242 already)-There could be reverse or rim damage that cannot be seen till you open the roll. This seller is laughing all the way to the bank.

There is another Ebay seller that sell tons of coins that he rolled on his own- a good way to make a mint fast and legal. Put two good coins on the ends with a false promise that there may be something valuable in between when the seller knows damn well that there isn't anything there. BS listings in my book.

Bob
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And where do you get a rolling machine? >>

Right here

Just google "coin rolling machines"

Bob
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    "I will try to answer any questions you may have although my knowledge of coins is very limited."

Hmmm. Knew enough to identify that as a Civil War Token.

I had no idea what it was.

Can you folks say scam? No guarantee's but I'd bet its filled with common date wheaties that a newbie "would" find positive.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A lot" is two words. I would never buy from anyone who didn't have a knowledge of English grammar. Just me I guess.

Drunner
  • Options
    GOOD GRIEF! He invoked both the grandfather AND the grandmother! ACK!!!!!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of the feedbacks he received: "WOW!!!, DOUBLE CWT FOR <90, INCREDIBLE DEAL, FREE SHIPPING, WHAT A DEAL, THANKS"
    Is that so incredible?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one of the feedbacks he received: "WOW!!!, DOUBLE CWT FOR <90, INCREDIBLE DEAL, FREE SHIPPING, WHAT A DEAL, THANKS"
    Is that so incredible? >>

Yes. Sounds like he left himself feedback using an alt ID.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, notice that particular customer buys almost every week.
  • Options
    With misleading auctions like this one, I'm surprised he still has a 100% positive rating.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the description, Alot of the rolls have these tokens on one end.

This tells me I'll be receiving a randomly selected roll from his gpa's and gma's trunk from the attic. Not the roll pictured.

Edited to add; if these rolls were so great, why don't we see repeat buyers and a larger demand from several past and repeating bidders? IOW, I would want and bid more for these rolls if I was finding a few great coins at a fraction of their value.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to not bid on eBay auctions that use the g-word.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>link

I did a search for rbrown1956 and found nothing previously discussed >>

These should be reported to Ebay as they violate policy

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

PROHIBITED

The listing doesn’t single out anything that “may” be contained in the grab bag that has particular monetary or obvious collectible value. For example, grab bag listings for collectible comic books can’t allude to the possibility that a specific rare, high value comic book “may” be included in the grab bag. This type of listing is considered a lottery, which is not allowed on eBay.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd think the most important thing is what the buyer thought about the transaction. >>

If you are a seller then you are quite correct, that's called Business 101. However a bunch of ebay buyers being satisfied means absolutely nothing to me as a buyer when determining whether or not to do business with someone. Now it is possible this is the one in a million genuine auction of this type with the wonderful story. However, by actual count and survey (that's a lie by the way) , 99.839% of these types of auctions are scams, and the sellers almost always have good feedback. These are the same clueless idiots that buy the "24kt gold layered whatevers" on TV as if they have any bullion value at all.
  • Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i think the seller must laugh every week when the auctions end, and the buyers are complete idiots
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I will try to answer any questions you may have although my knowledge of coins is very limited."

Hmmm. Knew enough to identify that as a Civil War Token.

I had no idea what it was.

Can you folks say scam? No guarantee's but I'd bet its filled with common date wheaties that a newbie "would" find positive. >>

There ya go!! I 100% agree with this statement. Well said.....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no thanks. thats a waste of time like the rest of the auctions like that image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As he says the wrappers are String and Son. If you look at them you will see that the wrappers are
    what they sell on their site, today. So, Gram and Gramps did not roll them over the years but just
    happened to roll them just recently?

Naaaaah

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 % truthful! After all, why would the seller stretch the truth?image

Tom

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The token on the EOR in the link of the op looks like a worn Franz Sigel token-- common, and inexpensive.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd think the most important thing is what the buyer thought about the transaction. >>

If you are a seller then you are quite correct, that's called Business 101. However a bunch of ebay buyers being satisfied means absolutely nothing to me as a buyer when determining whether or not to do business with someone. Now it is possible this is the one in a million genuine auction of this type with the wonderful story. However, by actual count and survey (that's a lie by the way) , 99.839% of these types of auctions are scams, and the sellers almost always have good feedback. These are the same clueless idiots that buy the "24kt gold layered whatevers" on TV as if they have any bullion value at all. >>

This is self-selection at work.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    So far, this seller has skated by without getting any red donuts, but they have plenty of feedback that indicates dissatisfaction. These "unsearched" roll sellers are usually able to get away with it for a while, but sooner or later the shoes start dropping.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    I bet none of them have Civil War tokens on the interior --- only on the ends.

• Options

<< <i>I bet none of them have Civil War tokens on the interior --- only on the ends. >>

Really???image

• Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bet none of them have Civil War tokens on the interior --- only on the ends. >>

Really???image >>

What I want to see is a + feedback that says:
    End coins were common-date wheat cents, and inside were 48 Civil War tokens!

What are the odds?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Really???image >>

What I want to see is a + feedback that says:
    End coins were common-date wheat cents, and inside were 48 Civil War tokens!

What are the odds?
    image >>

Feedback like that wouldn't be believable and would most likely come from a shill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file