Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1988 Donruss #108 Ray Knight "Scar on Neck" Solved

Ok, so I haven't wrote anything up lately but there has been a few ebay sellers over past 5 years that had 1988 Donruss #108 Ray Knight "Scar on Neck" for sale.

It was often up for sale for 100's of dollars. I think we spoke about it here and some people even considered it a fake. Finally, I decided to due my own research and buy 1200 of these. I only pulled one of each scar variation and the

The results were that I found 3 different SCAR ON NECK variations. In addition to that The 'corrected' card or "no scar" card has 4 variations as well.

As many of you know the 1988 Donruss cards often came with the trademark missing, half missing, or completely printed. The Ray Knight "corrected" version has all 3 of these.
I would say 95% or more have a clipped "R" trademark logo -- the full "R" was very hard to find.

In addition, there are 3 versions of the SCAR VARIATIONS -- shown below -- White Scar, Half Black Scar, and Full Black Scar. This truly is a tough card to find, especially in good condition.

Lastly, there was a print dot variation (not so sexy) but I figured I would list since it came up. A dot on the nose and a dot next to his left eye.

So, I think this is a great look at this card. I didn't buy any of these from ebay, so I know they aren't fake from the one or two sellers that listed them for years.

I would love to see more, as I think there could be another variation of this card.

Please take a look and comment if you can add. Thanks !!

-rt
Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Close up pic of "Full Black" Scar

Buying:
    Close up pic of "Half Black" SCAR

Buying:
    Close up pic of "White" Scar

Buying:
  • Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

<< <i>Interesting read, thanks for sharing. >>

No problem....glad you enjoyed it.

I still collect but don't post as much due to my time being limited lately...

Buying:
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Very cool thanks for sharing. So what is the story with the scar? Did or does he really have one?

<< <i>Very cool thanks for sharing. So what is the story with the scar? Did or does he really have one? >>

Not sure if he really has one. I looked at so many after a while you go nuts...lol....I don't know how some of the guys do it .....

Maybe someone else can share info....thanks
    Buying:

• << <i>

<< <i>Very cool thanks for sharing. So what is the story with the scar? Did or does he really have one? >>

Not sure if he really has one. I looked at so many after a while you go nuts...lol....I don't know how some of the guys do it .....

Maybe someone else can share info....thanks >>

Nice Rich.

Where did you find 1200 copies for sale?
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Could it just be a small piece of thread or fiber? I dunno, but it's cool to see the variations. Strange with it black, white, and then no scar/ mark or whatever.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • since this thread is talking '88D i was wondering if someone could confirm the "alternating borders" are they only in the factory sets? vs Packs? Also, is the entire set effected?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    I bought a bunch of different lots....and didn't open anything all summer....just got around to them today...

cool to wait sometimes
    Buying:
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    how did he get the scar?

• << <i>how did he get the scar? >>

Nancy beat him
  • Funny you should bring this up. I was going through my 1988 Donruss last night and found the full scar in my commons box. This sheds some more light on this card and now I need to find that 1988 box again and see if I have the other variations. Which do you think is the most rare?
  • I have covered about 70 or so copies and found both "dark" scar variations a couple times. I think they are very rare for 1988 Donruss' production but not 1:1200 or hundreds of dollars rare. I'll still put money on the Nelson Liriano face variation as the rarest of 1988 Donruss' variations. Still, I can't imagine having an opportunity to view 1200 copies of Liriano or any other card for that matter.

I don't believe that Knight has/had a scar. I think a thread or something fell onto the plate and they printed several thousand before altering it a couple different ways before fixing it entirely. In fact, typing this now, I'd guarantee Knight himself does not have a giant neck scar.

I have seen far fewer "white" scar copies for (the one Rich found and one other years ago) than the other (darker) scar types for sale. My money is on that being the rare version until further notice.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW one of these sold for $40 yesterday on EBAY. If you could pick one of these up from a box of commons for a Penny this might be the single great return on investment you could ever find!

40,000% return.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I played softball against Ray Knight near Atlanta during the strike of 1981. When he slid into second and nearly took me into left field breaking up a double play I didn't notice a scar. I saw parts of several of his games that weekend & I was impressed with how competitive he was.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

<< <i>WOW one of these sold for $40 yesterday on EBAY. If you could pick one of these up from a box of commons for a Penny this might be the single great return on investment you could ever find!

40,000% return. >>

maybe my thread helped the sale., lol ??? maybe ?
    Buying:
  • Outside of the 1 that sold on Ebay. Are any of these worth anything?

Many varations are worth nothing. I believe 1988 Topps had many varations. McGwire Record Breaker had a white triangle in the bottom right corner, Mattingly had a tear under one of his eye's (just going by memory, haven't had any of these in 15 years.)

Dave
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW one of these sold for $40 yesterday on EBAY. If you could pick one of these up from a box of commons for a Penny this might be the single great return on investment you could ever find!

40,000% return. >>

4000%
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $0.01 x 10 = $.10 or 900%

$0.01 x100 = $1.00 or 9,900%

$40 / $0.01 = $4,000

The real number would actually be 399,900%

If you had a 10 cent card that went to $40 that is 400 times your money or 39,000%. Remember if you buy a stock and it goes from $10 to $50 you have a $40 profit or 4 times your initial investment which is a 400% gain.

Wow this blows my mind.
    JC,

You talked me into it. I have 68 copies of the Liriano on the way this week.....I should have them by Friday, hopefully I score !!! LOL...

Buying:

• << <i>JC,

You talked me into it. I have 68 copies of the Liriano on the way this week.....I should have them by Friday, hopefully I score !!! LOL... >>

nice! whats the error?
    32a Nelson Liriano Face clearly visible, no shadowing effect

32b Nelson Liriano Face airbrushed/edited almost solid black
    Buying:
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pray that this thread does NOT cause me to break one of the 1988 Donruss Cases I have sitting in my room!!!!

Edited to add the LINK from this board from a year ago talking about the same subject.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    So a hair was on the negative and eventually displaced/removed?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

• << <i>So a hair was on the negative and eventually displaced/removed? >>

Yes. A hair that happened to suggest a dramatic story.

edited June 27, 2019 12:51PM

<< <i>I've noticed on my sixteen 88 Donruss Lirianos I pulled from my common box what I guess would be considered printing flaws but you might as well look for it.
    On 4 of the 16 the front edge of the bill of the blue helmet is red. The other 12 are blue. And on a different 4 the area in front of the right side of his face has a pinkish halo effect going from under his nose down to his chin. >>

scan em, if you get some free time..

once I get mine I ll scan em...

thx
    Buying:
    edited June 27, 2019 12:51PM
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing Rich - very interesting.

Many of us have 'variation' quests - and it adds a lot of fun to the hobby and - of course - the search.

Mike
    cool....hope we can find more
    Buying:
  • << since this thread is talking '88D i was wondering if someone could confirm the "alternating borders" are they only in the factory sets? vs Packs? Also, is the entire set effected? >>

You guessed right - each of the 1988 Donruss cards is different between the factory set and the retail packs. Often, the difference is in the left vs. right alignment of the border design, but there are also differences in the formatting of the text on the backs of the cards in the Career Highlights section and in the How Acquired/Contract Status section. The factory/retail variations are both very easy to obtain.

• << <i> << since this thread is talking '88D i was wondering if someone could confirm the "alternating borders" are they only in the factory sets? vs Packs? Also, is the entire set effected? >>

You guessed right - each of the 1988 Donruss cards is different between the factory set and the retail packs. Often, the difference is in the left vs. right alignment of the border design, but there are also differences in the formatting of the text on the backs of the cards in the Career Highlights section and in the How Acquired/Contract Status section. The factory/retail variations are both very easy to obtain. >>

Thank you for the information! Easy to obtain, yes, but not so much in PSA 9 or better, which my collecting OCD requires lol

• << <i>

<< <i> << since this thread is talking '88D i was wondering if someone could confirm the "alternating borders" are they only in the factory sets? vs Packs? Also, is the entire set effected? >>

You guessed right - each of the 1988 Donruss cards is different between the factory set and the retail packs. Often, the difference is in the left vs. right alignment of the border design, but there are also differences in the formatting of the text on the backs of the cards in the Career Highlights section and in the How Acquired/Contract Status section. The factory/retail variations are both very easy to obtain. >>

Thank you for the information! Easy to obtain, yes, but not so much in PSA 9 or better, which my collecting OCD requires lol >>

I'd say that the majority of PSA/BGS graded 1988 Donruss are from factory. Wax versions in 10 or even 9 condition are near-impossible even with the excessive production. I have been looking for a Gregg Jefferies 10 for some time now that isn't from factory sets.

I'mthinking of doing an "Ongoing Checklist" blog for 1988 Donruss variations but I would NOT be listing the factory/wax versions individually. Mainly just obvious, wax/rack/jumbo issued variations like the Knight, Liriano variations. Maybe a notation for those affected by TM/R missing varieties?

Anyone have any major variations in this set to add to the list?

• << <i>I'd say that the majority of PSA/BGS graded 1988 Donruss are from factory. Wax versions in 10 or even 9 condition are near-impossible even with the excessive production. I have been looking for a Gregg Jefferies 10 for some time now that isn't from factory sets.

I'mthinking of doing an "Ongoing Checklist" blog for 1988 Donruss variations but I would NOT be listing the factory/wax versions individually. Mainly just obvious, wax/rack/jumbo issued variations like the Knight, Liriano variations. Maybe a notation for those affected by TM/R missing varieties?

Anyone have any major variations in this set to add to the list? >>

How about going through rack cases?

• << <i>

<< <i>I'd say that the majority of PSA/BGS graded 1988 Donruss are from factory. Wax versions in 10 or even 9 condition are near-impossible even with the excessive production. I have been looking for a Gregg Jefferies 10 for some time now that isn't from factory sets.

How about going through rack cases? >>

Probably your best bet. That or cellos. I just never come across any grade-worthy 1988 Donruss that aren't from factory sets.

• Cool thread.

You gotta love the variety of collectors on this board!image

Robert

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd say that the majority of PSA/BGS graded 1988 Donruss are from factory. Wax versions in 10 or even 9 condition are near-impossible even with the excessive production. I have been looking for a Gregg Jefferies 10 for some time now that isn't from factory sets.

How about going through rack cases? >>

Probably your best bet. That or cellos. I just never come across any grade-worthy 1988 Donruss that aren't from factory sets. >>

im going to have to give it a go then. i have a bit of a rack case fetish, not ashamed of it.

A. Visible face
    B. Blacked-out face/arms, pink stripe along helmet
    C. Blacked-out face/arms, no stripe along helmet

thanks for the scans JC>..
    Buying:

• << <i>image

A. Visible face
    B. Blacked-out face/arms, pink stripe along helmet
    C. Blacked-out face/arms, no stripe along helmet >>

i just pulled a "B" out of a factory set. The Knight was the corrected version, no scar or white-out visable
  • Has anyone ever worked out the distribution of the variations? I just did a quick scan of eBay and found all these different types of cases (sorted by UPC):

wax case (20 boxes/720 packs (36@)) UPC 10700-82500

rack case (72 packs) UPC 10700-82502

wax display case (2 displays/432 packs (216@)) UPC 10700-82504

wax case (10 boxes/360 packs (36@)) UPC 10700-82507

blister case (48 packs) flat red lettered box UPC 10700-82509-20

blister case (48 packs) tall blue lettered box UPC 10700-82510

cello case (12 boxes/288 packs (24@)) UPC 10700-82520

cello case (12 boxes/288 packs (24@)) flat box UPC 10700-82521

cello case (6 shelf extenders/300 packs (50@)) UPC 10700-82522

factory set case (15 sets) UPC 10700-82005 (not sure of this is for the white box or the colorful box)

That’s a lot of different ways to pull cards. I’m curious if there are variations specific to wax vs blister vs cello vs rack. For that matter, is there any difference between the two different box types of the factory set?

This thread has potentially nailed down the Knight and Liriano variations. Can those be coupled to particular copyright dot and denotes versions?
  • junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever worked out the distribution of the variations? I just did a quick scan of eBay and found all these different types of cases (sorted by UPC):

wax case (20 boxes/720 packs (36@)) UPC 10700-82500

rack case (72 packs) UPC 10700-82502

wax display case (2 displays/432 packs (216@)) UPC 10700-82504

wax case (10 boxes/360 packs (36@)) UPC 10700-82507

blister case (48 packs) flat red lettered box UPC 10700-82509-20

blister case (48 packs) tall blue lettered box UPC 10700-82510

cello case (12 boxes/288 packs (24@)) UPC 10700-82520

cello case (12 boxes/288 packs (24@)) flat box UPC 10700-82521

cello case (6 shelf extenders/300 packs (50@)) UPC 10700-82522

factory set case (15 sets) UPC 10700-82005 (not sure of this is for the white box or the colorful box)

That’s a lot of different ways to pull cards. I’m curious if there are variations specific to wax vs blister vs cello vs rack. For that matter, is there any difference between the two different box types of the factory set?

This thread has potentially nailed down the Knight and Liriano variations. Can those be coupled to particular copyright dot and denotes versions? >>

Great info! And thanks for posting it on JunkWaxGems! This would be a great project. I am fairly certain there are a few more variations to be discovered in this set.
    fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great info! And thanks for posting it on JunkWaxGems! This would be a great project. I am fairly certain there are a few more variations to be discovered in this set. >>

Welcome back!
  • junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great info! And thanks for posting it on JunkWaxGems! This would be a great project. I am fairly certain there are a few more variations to be discovered in this set. >>

Welcome back! >>

Thank you! I had been trying to post on here for the last year or so but none of my passwords worked. Couldn't reset it either so finally gave up and started over. There are so many posts that I want to add information to but I'll try and pace them out so the board isn't drowning in modern junk threads.
    fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i> There are so many posts that I want to add information to but I'll try and pace them out so the board isn't drowning in modern junk threads. >>

Trust me, I'll take threads like this over threads about Ebay issues, or how to sell 150000 1991 Fleer cards any day of the week. I like threads like this, and have never seen this one before today. As soon as I get home from my trip, I'm looking through my 88 Donruss' LOL. Thanks for bringing it back.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrona!

(sorry, I can't resist)
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

@richtree said:

Which one of these is the the "rare" one?

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@royalbrett said:

@richtree said:

Which one of these is the the "rare" one?

32a, kinda crazy I just found one last week when going through some 5k boxes. A lot got thrown away, but that one got to stay.