Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps Box - Pack 2 RIP

Rico took it.

I didn't know Roseboro was on the Senators.

Hello Mr. Rose

[IMG]http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x438/Chris_Nikides/1970 Hi Numbers Pack 2/NelsonFront.jpg">

Say it ain't so Joe!

Mr. Cub!

Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star-studded pack! Kranepool looks mint! Does PSA downgrade for the white print line along the the top?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I have seen 9's with the line but not very often.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the card by card rip.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    no shortage of star power in that pack.
    Does the miscut Morgan occupy the same slot in the sequence that the other miscut card was in the first pack?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Wowee!!! Nice pack. If you hit a Killebrew, lets talk.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Don't read too much into the sequence of the cards. I will say Ruiz always follows Rose.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Great entertainment while stuck at the office on Saturday....thanks
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man ... nice cards ... I wish the darn Rose and Banks were centered for you! Rose is a $350.00 card in a "9".
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    crazy beautiful!!

Thanks 4 sharing
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Hey Chris, I knew you won't hold out the weekend, but only until early Saturday.

Great job with both packs so far. It would be nice if this second pack's sequencing repeats itself a couple more times.

Are you going through the packs as you rip them to see if anyone is showing through the wrapper, or did you do that first and already put those packs aside?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Honestly Mike I have looked and can't see anything under the wrappers. Is the a trick to looking through the back?
    Nikklos
  • Options
    1970 packs are one of the tougher packs to see through for players showing on back.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Honestly Mike I have looked and can't see anything under the wrappers. Is the a trick to looking through the back? >>

I usually hold it up and use direct sunlight to try to see through. I don't have any 1970 wax packs so I don't know if they are more difficult to tell. Hopefully someone else has done it and knows if you can tell.

Another thing I do is take my raw set out and since you know what series are in the packs, look for some distinctive feature and scan my raw set for a match. Hope this helps.

Edited to add: Thanks for the input Grote!!! That's what I thought might be the answer.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Direct sunlight or natural daylight is the best way to try and discern the name through the wrapper. That seems to work better than even magnification. If you know the design or portrait of the player, you can also make a pretty educated guess even if you can also make out a couple of letters.

• Options

<< <i>If you know the design or portrait of the player, you can also make a pretty educated guess even if you can also make out a couple of letters. >>

I would get pictures of the valuable cards in those series and have them on your desk as you go thru the packs. That should help you with determining if there are any valuable cards showing.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Removed: Double post.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thank you for sharing. i'd be thrilled to open a pack like that.
  • Options
    Rose and Banks got 9(O/C). Bumping for the newbies.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Too bad ... that Damn Rose card is so hard to get centered. Straight "9" sells for 8xs an o/c.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's all sorts of ways to piece together who is showing. If you can make out the home town, baseball almanac has a searchable database of all mlb players by home town. If you can make out the team name and a batting average it shouldn't be too hard to figure out from there. I once matched a card by the little trivia blurb Topps puts on the backs.

It may be time consuming but piecing the puzzle together is part of the fun for me.
  • Options
    I thought I'd seen it all on this forum, but this takes the cake. Busting 43 year old boxes. More money than sense, I guess.

Good luck. ROTFLMAO
  • Options
    Well in all fairness, it was only 41 years old when I opened it.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I'd seen it all on this forum, but this takes the cake. Busting 43 year old boxes. More money than sense, I guess.

Good luck. ROTFLMAO >>

To each his own. I appreciate the fact that some members have the means to afford to do this and share it with the rest of us!!!

Nikklos
    Thanks for posting the break.