Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Philadelphia Show Update

Just on my way down to Stack's-Bowers lot viewing. Sale starts this afternoon - beginning with medals.

Any forumites going to be there today?

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent a few hours there yesterday looking at all the exonumia and you should be in for a surprise! They had what sounded like a theft issue at ANA, so at this show all raw lots where double flipped and heat sealed. They didn't remove the unused rear portion of the flip, so to see the reverse of the raw items your looking through 4 layers of flips. Since they are using a soft outer and hard non pvc inner flip once under the light source you can't see anything but reflection. I was seated next to Anthony Terranova and after we complained just a bit Marissa, Melissa, and Christine they where kind enough to grab some scissors and set the lots we really wanted to see free. Finally life was good as now you could see cartwheel luster, patina, staple scratches, etc. I actually crossed one item off my list earlier as I could tell if it was true mint red, but once free it was all good.

As accommodating as the S/B team was I next asked if they could crack out a majorly scratched / hazed encapsulated item, but guess I pushed my luck imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure no one wanted to hear you whine and complain Broaddy.

.......no doubt you could have gotten them to give you a pencil eraser to 'brighten them up a bit' if you couldnt see the details on the coins themselves. image

How was that MS66 feuchtwanger cent?
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'll be in Atlantic City today. Be at the show tomorrow.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Im sure no one wanted to hear you whine and complain Broaddy.

.......no doubt you could have gotten them to give you a pencil eraser to 'brighten them up a bit' if you couldnt see the details on the coins themselves. image

How was that MS66 feuchtwanger cent? >>

The 1c Feucht is a bit whiter/brighter in hand and you really need to dig to find all the obverse colorful patina that's imaged.
    It's a flawless example, but I still think the $5,500.00 reserve is silly as I see this as like a $2-3K token.
    The reserve of $12.5K on the 1864 3c is silly too, as it will be interesting to see if either of these Feuchts sell?

• Options
    It is now nearly 8 PM, and we are on lot 309 at the auction. The colonials begin at lot 937, which should be in about 3 hours+ from now.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It is now nearly 8 PM, and we are on lot 309 at the auction. The colonials begin at lot 937, which should be in about 3 hours+ from now. >>

Hope the food is at least good!

Dennis
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is now nearly 8 PM, and we are on lot 309 at the auction. The colonials begin at lot 937, which should be in about 3 hours+ from now. >>

I'd be happy to trade places with you.
  • Options
    Could be sooner as Melissa's kicking butt almost 100 lots in 20 minutes.
  • Options

<< <i>Could be sooner as Melissa's kicking butt almost 100 lots in 20 minutes. >>

Yes - she's cruising.

Highlight so far: Tony Terranova steals the silver Virginia Happy While United medal for $95,000 hammer.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Since it seems you have to kill some time you could check my answer to the highway question on your ad archive page (the New Jersey copper).

Exit 135?

Yes, I'm bored. Can you tell?

Dennis
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John:

Leave a podium bid and go find some good food - or are you already full from the auction buffet?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Looks like I won every token I bid on image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just on my way down to Stack's-Bowers lot viewing. Sale starts this afternoon - beginning with medals.

Any forumites going to be there today? >>

What, you didn't eat today image
  • Options
    well Im glad I got internet bids on my lots, after 1000...God know when that will be up...2AM?

hope they pass out the no doze in philly *or rather I hope they DONT*
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lot viewing this afternoon was mighty slow until a very capable assistant came over and spent some time with me.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    10 o'clock and we're on lot 727.
  • Options

<< <i>10 o'clock and we're on lot 727. >>

You should have bought all the auctioneerettes a 6 pack of Red Bull! image
  • Options
    what does v42 mean?
  • Options
    We are bogged down in the spoons section.
  • Options

<< <i>We are bogged down in the spoons section. >>

Yeah I saw they had a huge run of them image

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are bogged down in the spoons section. >>

Spoon is a dirty word ATS. image
  • Options
    OK - I am now back at the hotel having sat through approximately 5 hours of auctions in order to buy 27 lots (most of which were in the last 30 minutes of the session).

Kudos to the ladies from Stack's-Bowers who seriously picked up the pace at the end - I sure do wish we had started earlier though.
  • Options

<< <i>OK - I am now back at the hotel having sat through approximately 5 hours of auctions in order to buy 27 lots (most of which were in the last 30 minutes of the session). >>

No Spoons imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK - I am now back at the hotel having sat through approximately 5 hours of auctions in order to buy 27 lots (most of which were in the last 30 minutes of the session). >>

No Spoons imageimage >>

Well, we did consign some . . .
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK - I am now back at the hotel having sat through approximately 5 hours of auctions in order to buy 27 lots (most of which were in the last 30 minutes of the session).

Kudos to the ladies from Stack's-Bowers who seriously picked up the pace at the end - I sure do wish we had started earlier though. >>

Leave written bids next time. That way you can salvage whatever is left of your post show social life.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>OK - I am now back at the hotel having sat through approximately 5 hours of auctions in order to buy 27 lots (most of which were in the last 30 minutes of the session).

Kudos to the ladies from Stack's-Bowers who seriously picked up the pace at the end - I sure do wish we had started earlier though. >>

Leave written bids next time. That way you can salvage whatever is left of your post show social life. >>

No - we like to see what's happening and stretch or let things go as the mood strikes us and based on what we already bought or didn't buy in the preceding lots. It works for us.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Philly but haven't gotten to the show cause I work during the week. I have company over the weekend, but hopefully I can still get in there Saturday. Anybody seen any 1922 plain Lincoln's on the floor, circa XF 40-45 condition? Thanks.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone going to the Reading Terminal market? That is a great place!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since it seems you have to kill some time you could check my answer to the highway question on your ad archive page (the New Jersey copper).

Exit 135?

Yes, I'm bored. Can you tell?

Dennis >>

I sent an email to them also on this with a map and some history I found about the Mint that struck these. Hadn't heard back from them yet. Someone must've beat me to it. This was last week sometime I think.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This stacks/bowers auction just is going way too fast... I'm sure it's nice if you're a floor bidder, but for the online folks it just doesn't work. On too many lots the item has already hammered before the online bidders even have a chance to make a bid. Especially when the high bid isn't an even increment as it seems as if someone has to manually change the bid button to let online bidders bid the next correct amount... by the time that happens they're moving on to the next lot. On another lot I wanted, I clicked bid, but by the time it went through, they closed it. And on another one, they had info from a previous lot up while they were auctioning an item I wanted to bid on, oh well. Might be done with online bidding with these guys until they either slow down or improve their system. Will just leave max bids from now on, but I don't like to do that since I could get stuck with a ton of items and a huge bill if I get "lucky!!" Still only about 200 lots in (in only 45 minutes)... maybe it'll get better?

Edited to add that I'd also be a little scared leaving max bids on many of these bulk lots... they've made at least half a dozen significant corrections to the descriptions before auctioning the lots. Sure, I know lot viewing is a must and I did go to lot viewing, but it's just not practical to look at every single lot. One correction was on the "complete" set of Morgan dollars... just happens that the 1893-S was removed from the set, that may make a difference. Another lot they said they 1931-S Lincoln was really a 1931-D. No floor bidders bid on either lot after those announcements... I'm guessing someone isn't going to be happy with their max bids on those items.

Edited again to add that things did seem to run smoother after the first 200 lots or so. I had no other issues other than bidders that were willing to pay more than me image I did get a few lots though image
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I live in Philly but haven't gotten to the show cause I work during the week. I have company over the weekend, but hopefully I can still get in there Saturday. Anybody seen any 1922 plain Lincoln's on the floor, circa XF 40-45 condition? Thanks. >>

If this show is like any other I have ever been to, there should be an absolute plethora of 1922 'no-D' Lincolns available, along with 1931-S, 1909-SVDB'S, 1909-VDB's and 1955 ddo's. Almost every dealer will have at LEAST one of those coins. image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCU was spied coming out of McCormick & Schmick's tonight, so either the auction ended early or they didn't have anything left to bid on.
  • Options
    Had a great, though short, time there today. Went up on the train from south jersey, then Patco...and then feet.

all in all a great and easy way to get into the big city.

Picked up my lots from SB, walked the floor at 12 PM when they opened...1/4 the dealers were still not fully set up.

Got rather bored, bought two books, seen a few vermonts on the floor, considered one but decided against it. seen a baby head I found in a dealers inventory and was very glad I did not buy it.

My show is over. I got my goodies...it was overall quite good. enjoyed the train ride.
  • Options
    really tepid attendance today. caught up with Julian Leidman and met Laura Kessler at PCGSC for the first time and those things made the day special. Got a nice PCGS MS63 Columbian Expo(1892) and that was my only purchase. The type coins were hard to find, atleast the ones I was looking for...good day!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options

<< <i>CCU was spied coming out of McCormick & Schmick's tonight, so either the auction ended early or they didn't have anything left to bid on. >>

Uh-oh - I think I have a stalker . . .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file