Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Hello

I have 2 Silver Dollars, 5 half dollars, 6 Quarters, 4 dimes that are pre 1960 I know they are Silver, I have zero clue about Coins so Im posting to ask what I have here in Value ( Strictly Silver Value as coins are beat up )

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I believe they are all 90% silver and silver is $42 an oz. So take the face value times 90%, and then times 42 and you have your worth in silver. The US coins forum BST often has offers to buy those items. You can also check there for any rarity of the pieces or the condition which affects the price value you hold.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pictures might help. Always nice to see what is offered.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Actually, you should multiply the face amount by amount 0.715 times the silver melt value.

So, $6.4 x 0.715 x $42.94 Ag Bid = $196.50, or 30.7x face.

APMEX is currently buying at 29.49x face and selling at 30.81x face, based on $42.94 bid

Oh yeah, add $4-5 dollars for the two silver $, so about $200 for the lot (if all in the "junk" class)

BTW, those silver dollar dates might matter a wee bit since a 1893-S in VF is worth a wee bit more than melt....good luck
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I believe they are all 90% silver and silver is $42 an oz. So take the face value times 90%, and then times 42 and you have your worth in silver. The US coins forum BST often has offers to buy those items. You can also check there for any rarity of the pieces or the condition which affects the price value you hold. >>

Absolutely incorrect. Boz, if you dont know what you are talking about....why spread bad info?

The correct way to figure actual silver value in 90% U.S. coins is to take silver's current spot price (lets use $42) and multiply that by .715. Then take that number (30.03) and multiply it by the face value of all the coins ($6.40 in this case) to arrive at a silver melt value of $192.

Do it Boz's "made up way" and the number is $242.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Good thing you ask, perkdog. Otherwise, certain posters here would be happy to offer you 3x instead of 29-30x. image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there was some reason for that from gecho, Mac. I gave the the poster a way to figure silver value in his coins, not what others are paying, preceded by the comment that it was my belief. Some people have a hard time being civil I guess, or think this is the light side. image

I guess I could just tell him to go to the other forum instead trying to help a poster with 13000 posts.image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers guys, I appreaciate it.

Boz, Im sure your aware but if not it is 100% the norm for flame wars and or insults to be lobbed in all of the CU message forums image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinflation is a great site giving the metal value of US and Canadian coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure there was some reason for that from gecho, Mac. I gave the the poster a way to figure silver value in his coins, not what others are paying, preceded by the comment that it was my belief. Some people have a hard time being civil I guess, or think this is the light side. image

I guess I could just tell him to go to the other forum instead trying to help a poster with 13000 posts.image >>

" I gave the the poster a way to figure silver value in his coins, not what others are paying....."

Uh, no you didnt. Mac and I both gave the poster a way to figure silver value in his coins, not what others are paying. What YOU gave was simply incorrect information. And the best part is that you still arent even aware you are wrong!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The site ajaan linked to has nice, easy calculators.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Boz, Im sure your aware but if not it is 100% the norm for flame wars and or insults to be lobbed in all of the CU message forums >>

Not here in the World Coin forums, it isn't. US Coins, yeah, sure. And probably common on some of the sportscard-related forums.

But not here on the "Darkside". It is usually a more civilized place. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Boz, Im sure your aware but if not it is 100% the norm for flame wars and or insults to be lobbed in all of the CU message forums >>

Not here in the World Coin forums, it isn't. US Coins, yeah, sure. And probably common on some of the sportscard-related forums.

But not here on the "Darkside". It is usually a more civilized place. image >>

You mean civilized like this Lord M?
  • Options
    I did say "usually". image