Home Precious Metals
Options

Metals Crash

Back up the truck for this buying opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Just tell me exactly where the bottom of this haircut is please? image
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    falling like a rockimage
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, was debating going to pick up 20oz silver at the store today. $39.x is nicer than the 42.x an hour ago....and I just gassed up the Silverado!
  • Options
    The drop is probably from falling equitiy margin calls. FOMC meeting is next Tuesday, not likely to see a reversal until after the announcement.
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    the fall is more like a little profit taking....at least for meimage
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drop is from the realization that we are entering a recession. This will trigger QE3. Stackers hold your hand, add to the stack on the way down and on the way back up. Paper players find a good exit and be prepared for re-entry at a lower price. I dumped AGQ at $231 this morning and will buy it back at a bargain. Keep an eye on VXX.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back up the truck for this buying opportunity! >>

I wouldn't say a fall from $42 to $38 and change is a time for 'backing up the truck'.

I get what you mean though.

It has me thinking about buying.

I'll back up the truck if it hits $30 or lower.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

<< <i>(Kitco News) - Comex gold futures prices ended the U.S. day session solidly lower and nearer the daily low Thursday, after early on scoring another fresh all-time record high of $1,684.90, basis December futures. Long liquidation, much of which was profit taking and margin-call selling, hit the gold market in late-morning dealings. >>

Comex Hits Another All-Time High Early On, Then Backs Off Sharply on Long Liquidation
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So for the folks that say hang on a bit on silver, what's your drop/bottom prediction?
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    WSJ reports drop off due to people selling gold to cover margin calls in other markets.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options

<< <i>WSJ reports drop off due to people selling gold to cover margin calls in other markets. >>

Profits are being used to cover losses. This is the problem with hedging, the profits get offset by the losses. The best way to cover your bets is to not gamble.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭
    Margin calls in stocks is forcing liquidation in other assets.

Holy Crap! What a bad day!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The dollar is way up, gold is really doing well!--BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Back up the truck for this buying opportunity! >>

I wouldn't say a fall from $42 to $38 and change is a time for 'backing up the truck'.

I get what you mean though.

It has me thinking about buying.

I'll back up the truck if it hits $30 or lower. >>

Did you the last time, a couple months ago?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>WSJ reports drop off due to people selling gold to cover margin calls in other markets. >>

Profits are being used to cover losses. This is the problem with hedging, the profits get offset by the losses. The best way to cover your bets is to not gamble. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    with everything going down,I assume people are walkin around with big wads of cash in their pocket?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you say QE III.

The Dow will go to zero without cash infusion and it will seem the dollar is going to zero with it.

You can't fool mother nature.

You can't run a country without an educated populous and you can't keep taking out far more than you put in or will grow naturally.

We should be addressing the fundamental issues rather than predicting when the dollar really will hit "0".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with everything going down,I assume people are walkin around with big wads of cash in their pocket?

Interesting! for every seller there's a buyer, and for every buyer a seller image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Can you say QE III.

The Dow will go to zero without cash infusion and it will seem the dollar is going to zero with it.

You can't fool mother nature.

You can't run a country without an educated populous and you can't keep taking out far more than you put in or will grow naturally.

We should be addressing the fundamental issues rather than predicting when the dollar really will hit "0". >>

Could be QE along with the FED moving it's short term paper to long term to mitigate a drop in the USD. Simply printing money is not a solution, or the message the FED wants to send if it wants to keep the dollar up and a handle on inflation, especially after the damage the debt hike fiasco caused.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>for every seller there's a buyer, and for every buyer a seller image >>

That's a good quote!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was not a crash...........MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ready to buy, but I'm fairly confident that "someone" will jump to the stock market's rescue.

Now remind me again - how does this administration "rescue" a falling stock market without any change in the fundamentals?

You only get one guess.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Not ready to buy, but I'm fairly confident that "someone" will jump to the stock market's rescue.

Now remind me again - how does this administration "rescue" a falling stock market without any change in the fundamentals?

You only get one guess. >>

New money - With no QE1 or QE2, the market has NO sugar

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That was not a crash...........MJ >>

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold did not crash today.

Most of the afternoon it stood firm like a stone wall.

Presently it is hovering just under $1,650 - a number we could only dream of just two weeks ago.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Never try to catch a falling knife.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ, at what point would you change your mind and call a "crash?"

Speaking of sweet sugar....it's already bounced back up $1.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

roadrunner >>

Back to back limit down days (20%) or close to that. I would consider that a crash...............Gold pulled back 1% today. Silver, got an expected haircut . But we've seen it before with silver. I mentioned it in the "Financial advisor" thread yesterday. Silver gets taken to the woodshed on industrial selloffs with vengence. Gold is a currency, silver is not. It's just the way it is....................JMHO.MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>for every seller there's a buyer, and for every buyer a seller image >>

>>

True. The thing that causes price to move is an imbalance between buyers and sellers. That happens when they are motivated one way or another. MJ

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So far, no crash, but it was a rather large, PLOP. Perhaps crash to follow.............. in time.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

roadrunner >>

Back to back limit down days (20%) or close to that. I would consider that a crash...............Gold pulled back 1% today. Silver, got an expected haircut . But we've seen it before with silver. I mentioned it in the "Financial advisor" thread yesterday. Silver gets taken to the woodshed on industrial selloffs with vengence. Gold is a currency, silver is not. It's just the way it is....................JMHO.MJ >>

I'll agree. You will know its a crash when you look around in disbelief, realizing that what took 2 years to build was lost in a few weeks. And realizing that it will be years again before previous highs are again attained.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>So for the folks that say hang on a bit on silver, what's your drop/bottom prediction? >>

$25 to $27
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to back limit down days (20%) or close to that. I would consider that a crash...............

Like going from $22 to $9 in 2008. As I type, gold is back up to $1,664 and change, up almost $16. Silver is peeking back out from behind the woodshed.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.