Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone Remember the RCC (Rec.Collecting.Coins) Token?

Klif50Klif50 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
I was reflecting back last night and was remembering when I was a member of the Rec.Collecting.Coins (RCC) group. Many of the members here were active in that group years ago. One member made a token and put his initials on it and then took it around and took pictures of it in various places, then he would mail the token to the next person on the list who would put their initials on it and take it on tour and get pictures (kind of sounds like Marty's duck). Anyway, seems like it went through 23 or 24 people until the last one didn't pass it on and I guess it died an untimely death in a desk drawer some where. It was a great idea because we got to see pictures of the various parts of the country that the members lived in and was quite a "bonding" affair. Or did I dream it all up?

Comments

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I remember the old Usenet group. It still exists, though last time I checked several years ago 90% of the posts were newsgroup bots and spammers.

I vaguely remember something about a token, but didn't participate. Maybe I am confusing my memory with another Usenet group. Who knows? The archives might be available somewhere, but the keyword "token" is going to turn up thousands of unrelated threads.

• Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I remember reading about it but did not participate. I also remember the tokens that were minted for the group and still have 4-5 of them. I can't remember what we called them all but I remember the Ember and the Flame. There was a Troll too. One of them had a dragon on it so I had to buy an extra one of those for my daughter. image
  • Options
    I had forgotten about the RCC tokens, ember, flame and something else. For a while they were showing up on ebay now and then but I haven't seen one in a long time. I need to dig mine out and look at them again. Actually I think I donated them to the auction that was going on for the RCC legal defense fund. Seems like they brought pretty good money since they were very well done. Did Mr. Carr produce those?
    I didn't participate with the traveling token except as a follower of its travels.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember! In fact, something happened that kept me from accessing the group which led to my joining to this forum. It was a useful forum, but this one is much better because of the posted images.
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Here's a recent pdf file with some examples. The guy is looking to beef that file up:
    http://www.danielpeart.net/rcc.pdf
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2022 3:35PM
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just looking at the Kyle sent me several years ago. Here's a quick peek.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Those are so cool. I just checked ebay to see if any were up there. For some reason I had forgotten Kyle and was thinking they were some D. Carr stuff. Those guys need to get together. Can you imagine what they could come up with?
    RCC is where I first met you when you were running the shop in Utah. I think I was just Klif then.
  • Options
    This is a very old set of post about the rec.collecting.coins tokens/medals. I was reading some on the recent "what coin clubs had had their own tokens" and that is what lead me to this set of post. There was also a companion news group for pictures and I remember that Ira was a frequent poster there.
    We have really come far in not so very many years.
    I was also looking through my junk box and found a token from the Anchorage Coin Club that they were giving out at one of their auctions in 1972. Thin, not very fancy, but it brought back some great memories.
  • Options

I mentioned the old RCC group recently and then found these series of all post.
    I thought I would share them just in case anyone from the old group was looking in.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember posting there for a while in the late 90s thru 2001 before I switched to this forum, but am a bit foggy about the token. It was a fun place before being overrun by the bots and trolls. Jeez, how did we survive without images?

Oh, and people were complaining about Ebay fees - back in 2000!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file