Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Panini Box Break Results....Pulled two Tyson's that are very strong!!

The box finally came today and it was interesting to open. I feel very lucky to have gotten two Mike Tyson's as there are a ton of non base card stickers in the packs and I think I may have not gotten a true complete set.

These are indeed different then the English set as Mike Tyson is not on the foil card and Greg Norman is not either.

I think the first Tyson is really super strong.

This second one looks great too.

I will scan some of the better cards from the set shortly and post them.

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'd like a nicely centered Norman if you pulled one. Great looking Tyson's btw. Congrats!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Norman is not in the Italian version and I don't recall seeing any golfers.

I think the English version came out in 1987 like many of the listings with that sticker album say.

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Congrats image
  • Options
    I've never seen any indication that the UK version came out in '87. It would be nice if Panini had some sort of international checklist for these releases.
    Jeff
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pulls...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the grading. Both look strong.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    1987 Panini sticker album

This is the one with the Tyson foil card.

I am getting ready to scan some of the stickers now and will post shortly.
  • Options
    Much like PSA labeling them '85 - it's just a mistake. The '87 panini's are cards not stickers.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Scottiec2288Scottiec2288 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭
    Great pullsimage
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    You did very well. Nice cards!
  • Options
    There goes my POP 1!!!!

That's okay, I have my own box on it's way. I paid later and more than Dpeck!!! Darn it!!

Dpeck that first one is sweet and certainly looks 9, with chance at 10!!!!image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    I have two PSA 9's with the Italian back so you still have a Pop 1 of the English version.

• Options
    Here are some scans of many of the other cool cards in the set. I think the Steffi Graff rookie is a potentially cool card.

I am only posting the strongest one's of each other then her.

There are a ton of soccer players but I have no clue who they are.

The Italian foil version with no Tyson

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    I like the Drazen a lot.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I got two of them and they came in the same packs as the Tyson's.

The second I saw the second one I thought show me the Tyson and there he was.

• Options
    Dpeck, That other box that is up, doesn't look so nice. How many cards are sending in for grading?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Be carefull with that one. I about died when I opened mine becuase part of the sides were smashed of the box it came in but no damage to the box or cards.

I have yet to decide how many I will get graded. I need to research some of the soccer players and see if any are worth grading.

I also want to study them a little more and make sure I only send in stuff that can pull a 9 or better.

There are a ton of foil cards that come in the packs of soccer players and then foil stickers that just show a sport on it which kind of stinks becuase it limits the number of base cards you can get.

The coalition was very even so I would suspect you will get a few Tyson's.

I went and bought a bunch of 9 pocket pages and card savers two weeks ago and preserved them right away out of every pack. I suggest doing the same.

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Nice Tysons. The Bird sticker looks pretty cool also.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Be careful with that one? Not sure what you mean.... Sorry If I offended anyone, but the seller clearly states that in the listing.

Are you saying I should expect the box to be falling apart?

Well I hope I get some Minty cards out of it. I want to get Tyson's auto on one, hopefully I pull a few, glad you did.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    The Italian version is awesome! The UK version doesn't have any basketball players either. Great cards!
    Jeff
  • Options
    I simply meant be carefull with the one listed currently.

Your's should be just fine.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the great stickers. Get a bunch graded if it is worth it to grade 'em. Tyson's look great!!
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    OMG @ the tennis!

are the singles costly? (Becker/Lendl/Edberg)
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I have no idea what they could go for. I think they are pretty cool though. I have never seen any for sale on EBAY since I started looking for Panini Supersport and these are obviously pack fresh.

It certainly brings back memories of when I was growing up and Tennis was on network TV all of the time. We did not have cable until I was 13 so I watched what ever sports were on ABC, CBS, and NBC.

I assume these would be their rookie cards but some tennis expert may no better.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I assume these would be their rookie cards but some tennis expert may no better. >>

I'm no expert, but I think the Becker, Lendl & Edberg cards may be rookie cards. But McEnroe & Connors definitely have older cards than this.

I'd love to see more collecting interest in Tennis cards. The interest in these usually tops out around the US Open & Wimbledon every year. You'll see a slight spike in tennis card sales during these events. That said - the US Open starts Aug 29th, if you're looking to sell any of these.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I do think I have seen cards from 1982 for Mcenroe and Connors and perhaps even earlier.

The thing that the Tyson cards has going for it more so then the tennis cards is the picture is all of his face and not a side action shot. It makes for a much better card whean dealing with smaller items like this.

• Options
    1982 Panini Chris Everet

Here is an older Panini sticker of Chris Everet and if you look through EBAY completed sales this seller has sold a few other items as well. The condition on these are terrible so it is hard to say how much a premium graded versions would bring. Some collectors are less condition sensitive then others.

On a side note check out her necklace that says Babe. LOL

• Options

<< <i>On a side note check out her necklace that says Babe. LOL >>

Gift from Navratilova?
    Jeff
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do think I have seen cards from 1982 for Mcenroe and Connors and perhaps even earlier.

The thing that the Tyson cards has going for it more so then the tennis cards is the picture is all of his face and not a side action shot. It makes for a much better card whean dealing with smaller items like this. >>

McEnroe and Connors each had cards in the 79 & 77 Sportscaster (oversized cards) sets respectively. Also McEnroe(#316) and Connors(#319) each had cards in the 81 Panini Sport Superstars set as well. I know Becker, Lendl, and Edberg also had cards in the 86 Fax Pax set...although I'm not sure if that set was technically '86 or '87 or both years. I was under the impression that they were produced and released in Europe in '86, and then released in the US in '87. In the last tennis thread someone mentioned a 1985 Question of Sports set that had some tennis players, but I'm not sure who was in it, if any. I know there was an 85 Panini set, but I don't think there were any tennis players that year either...not sure though.
  • Options
    Thank you for the information.

We are all trying to learn more about the Panini cards.

There is really very limited information on them.

• Options
    Seriously I have looke all over the internet for them. Can barely find a checklist nevermind production runs. Does anyone have anymore info them.

Thanks!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    David,

Would you mind signing a couple of the "scrubs" in blue ballpoint pen and posting a pic? Trying to decide whether to get my Tyson signed with ballpoint or Staedtler.

Thanks,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

<< <i>David,

Would you mind signing a couple of the "scrubs" in blue ballpoint pen and posting a pic? Trying to decide whether to get my Tyson signed with ballpoint or Staedtler.

Thanks,

Mike >>

I would also like to see this too if you don't mind sacrificing a common for an experiment.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Chris Evert has a card in the 1979 Venorlandus, and I believe is in some earlier sets than that.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

Here is a normal pen.

Here is a small sharpie pen.

• Options

Sharpie Pen
  • Options
    Thanks David

looks like Staedtler is the way to go

John

Please have my Tysons done in fine point blue Staedtler

Thanks

Mike
  • Options
    The surface of the base card is not super glossy. A very fine point pen will do very well.

I am guessing the pen you mention has a very fine point with a sharpie like ink.

I still think the Question of Sport will be the best auto with a nice sharpie but this card signed will be by far the most expensive.

Good luck Mike!!!
  • Options

Foil card with a sharpie pen.

• Options
    So a small fine tip sharpie is the way to go you think?

I am going to get my Tyson Panini's auto'd, so would love to see a few more examples. Tyson's signature isn't the greatest either. I might crack my PSA 9 right there at the National, get it signed, then slabbed again.

We'll see how my box pans out.

Deck can you please tell me how long it took for yours to arrive?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    My box took a full two weeks.

I just looked through my flagged stickers and at this point I have 25 I am grading and that number may get a touch bigger.

I know nothing about the soccer players and many others.

I am at this point focusing on the USA basketball, boxing, and tennis.

I do not predict grades on cards I send off but I feel very confident my Tyson will do very well.

This is the nicest Tyson I have ever handled and this should be the first Gem Mint Tyson.

• Options

<< <i>So a small fine tip sharpie is the way to go you think?

I am going to get my Tyson Panini's auto'd, so would love to see a few more examples. Tyson's signature isn't the greatest either. I might crack my PSA 9 right there at the National, get it signed, then slabbed again.

We'll see how my box pans out.

Deck can you please tell me how long it took for yours to arrive? >>

IMO don't use a sharpie. Use a Staedtler. You can order them online. It will look outstanding on the Tysons

• Options
    I would say anything Mike Navarro says you just listen and do.

I was asked to show a few commons and basic pen quality.

Bottom line just do what he says.

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hijack your thread but with all of the talk of which pen choice to use I did a little test so everyone could see the difference in pen choices. I am personally going to use a fine tip Staedtler for my Tyson. I think the ultra fine sharpie is just not reliable enough to risk using on the Panini considering the card is kind of glossy. My second choice would be a fine tip sharpie if I didn't have a Staedtler available.
  • Options
    Thanks that is very helpful.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the signing pics.

There are a few people who really want to get some Tyson stuff signed and that was a great help.

I am not an auto expert by any stretch of the imagination.

• Options
    I just got my batch of these toghether to get out in the morning for the 10 day special. I will post the results once I get them.

I had to pull out a lot of the strong one's due to slight surface damage. I am gunning for high grades only.

I have my fingers crossed on the Tyson's!!!
  • Options
    May the force be with you.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff!

I really examined them close so there should be some good grades in this batch. You really never know as sometimes you over looked something but I think this is going to work out just fine.

I am sending off the following

Ivan Koloff Wrestling All Stars, need this to complete my sixth set of the 82A, strong card but may not be good enough to get in a PSA 9

Mike Tyson Rookie, three of these

Mike Tyson second year, two of these

1989 Billy Ripken Fleer Glossy

Panini, Stefan Edberg, Jimmy Connors, Marvin Hagler, Michael Spinks, John McEnroe (2), Drazon Petrovic (2), Steffi Graf (3), Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Carl Lewis

• Options
    Sounds like a fun submission. I'm curious to see how some of those tennis stars do.
    Jeff