Home Sports Talk
Options

Harmon Killebrew unable to beat cancer accepts his fate.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
MINNEAPOLIS (AP)—Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew said Friday he will no longer fight his esophageal cancer and is settling in for the final days of his life.

The Minnesota Twins released a statement on Friday from Killebrew, who said he has “exhausted all options” for treatment of the “awful disease” and that the cancer is incurable.

“It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end,” he said. “My illness has progressed beyond my doctors’ expectation of cure.”

The 74-year-old Killebrew said he will enter hospice care.

“I am comforted by the fact that I am surrounded by my family and friends,” he said, thanking fans and well-wishers for their support and encouragement. “I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with (wife) Nita by my side.”

Killebrew, who lives in Arizona, was diagnosed with cancer in December.

Killebrew hit 573 home runs and made 11 All-Star appearances during his 22-year career spent mostly with the Washington Senators and Twins. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1984 and was fifth on the career home run list when he retired in 1975 after one season with the Kansas City Royals.

Killebrew currently ranks 11th on the all-time homer list, and his eight seasons with 40 or more homers still is tied for second in league history to Babe Ruth.

Killebrew was able to travel to Fort Myers, Fla., for his annual stint as a guest instructor at spring training. He was in good spirits, quipping that Twins manager Ron Gardenhire gave him the OK to show up a little late.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    too bad about Harmon.....another one of the class players from Minnesota.....they must have a mold up there to churn out classy players.

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Hospice is some pretty heavy stuff. My Mom works in hospice, taking care of the people there, and she tells some amazing stories about people she has met and stories she has heard.

It is good to hear that Mr. Killebrew has come to terms with things and is fairly accepting of what lies ahead of him. It is sad to see these legends begin to pass away, but such is life.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always sad to hear about great players such as this.

Yogi Berra was once asked his thoughts on the great Yankees players passing away with whom he played...and Yogi replied in that Yogi style of his..."Hey, we're all going."
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

wow, sad to hear, one of my all-time favorites!

one of the best cardboard i ever owned was a 1955 Topps Harmon Killebrew PSA 9. Even the auction house who sold this beauty for me wrote, "it was the best example he ever saw"!

i was sad to sell that special cardboard, but I'm much sadder to learn about HK. hope he remains comfortable and at peace in hospice! image

rd
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too am saddened to hear this. Harmon was "the man" in Minnesota for a lot of years as a player and as a person. Was fortunate to meet him on several occasions and was never disappointed. Very few like him around. We love you Harmon!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Classy guy.
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Lou Volpicelli from ABC sports told me a story about Harmon and Howard Cosell when ABC did the games of the week. Harmon had a great game with Hrs. and doubles and about 7 RBI's. After the game, the first thing Cosell asked him was about an error he made! Harmon, the great humble man he was, went on to apologize for the error!!!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Always sad to hear about an all time great.
  • Options
    Harmon and my baseball hero, Kaline are super good friends.

I have never met #3, but, I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER
    heard anyone say anything about having a bad meeting with him
    or for that matter say anything negative about him.

True class in Baseball and in life. Hang in there Mr. Killebrew!

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I was sorry to hear the news earlier today. When I was young it seemed liked he always killed our Orioles pitchers. It was a gentle giant among players.

I remember in 1975 seeing on TV , Harmon's last stolen base against the Brewers . The crowd at Milwaukee gave him a standing ovation. It was great.

He will be missed.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added a pic from my 55 Topps set to my first post above.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    In the late 1980's, I did a card show where Mr. Killebrew was signing. Man, next to Brooks Robinson and a few others he had to be one of the nicest people that I had ever met.

Obviously, I am sure that he and his family need our thoughts. He has mine.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    May God be with him and his family during this time.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    I got to shake his hand and get a signed ball from him last season in MN at a Twins vs. Braves game. It will be sad to see him go.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God Bless you, Harmon. You are truly one of a kind. Hang tough.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    RIP
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Harmon...you were a great one and you will be missed.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great player and he helped shape Baseball when it was truly great

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great player, better man! RIP.