Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many U.S coins have you added to your collection so far this year?

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is a thread that everyone can participate in. I am wondering how the slow/bad economy is affecting our forum members. I for one have not added but 3 new coins to my collection and one was in a trade situation so I have only added 2 net total. My main reason that I have not added more is due to the fact that I am only working on one set right now(Trade dollars) and I only need 5 coins to complete the set(74-CC,75-S/CC,76-CC,77-CC & 78-CC)and all are pretty expensive or hard to find that are raw and problem free(which is my favorite way to buy.)
Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    My daughter has added 3 ($8,700) and my son has added none ($0) image Edited to add: My son has improved (at the same grade) 6 of his coins so far this year.

They've probably added 7,500 raw coins from the collections I've purchased for silver value; copper, nickel and silver ($0). It was the excess from the purcahsed collections or they were coins needed to add to/improve their type sets.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    00.0 Added......

100 % sold.

However, I have a million dollars worth of memories.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>00.0 Added........100 % sold. However, I have a million dollars worth of memories.image >>

Shouldn't you have written this

in at least two or three lines?

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been a good year so far with few stunners... image

ABimage
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>00.0 Added........100 % sold. However, I have a million dollars worth of memories.image >>

Bear bet you do have some great memories and always better then no memories at all... image

ABimage
  • Options
    So far 5 big ticket coins and handful of cheap coins. Fun this year was very expensive for me!!
    Jaime image ~Proof Roosevelt Hoarder~ My Roosevelt Set
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have purchased a few Doilies . . .and recently a couple older PCGS 3.5s. Fun stuff.

Drunner
    (DoilyHound)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only a few but I am taking it slow since I have been out of a job for a while. Only buying when I have to get a variety that becomes available.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One or two, with one that sort of counts on the way.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greater than 6 coins for the core gold collection, 2 high grade type coins, 5 CWTs, a few other misc items, and a gazillion circ Barber dimes.

I have sold some stuff, too, but have been a net buyer.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of incriminating myself should my wife check my browsing history...about 58 (+/-5) keepers. I've been working on putting together a 1950-70 cameo set via raw finds. I've had great luck and a fantastic time so far. The majority of the holes are in the 60's.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    About 20 coins.image
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I've added 5 coins this year. By far the largest coins in my collection. Thanks MTB and ebay
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    My impulse was to answer "zero," but I looked it up and the real answer is "one."
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Lost count....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 US Coin... LOTS of tokens and a couple medals image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Added: 261

1 x 1793 (Collection)
    260 x 2010 (Investment)

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Let's see... I have purchased 2 monsters, and about 3 goblins so far. image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 classic gold coins, 1 wildly toned Morgan dollar (Ex-Sonnier), 1 Capped Bust half dollar, 2 historical U.S. medals, ca. 50 books and auction catalogs
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    10-15 I guess.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who lives in a convent?
  • Options
    I have added five with one being a key date..
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    _Bought 1 coin (1861 Indian Head ¢)

_Sold 1 SoCalled $

1 Gold coin is on consignment now.

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Added 8, which is two more than last year.

But those 14 coins have all been nice ones!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up seven (7) nice half dimes at FUN in January, and three others since, including a nice R6 Capped Bust half dime on eBay, for a total of ten (10).
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 10k I buy box's of Cents / Nickels /Dimes every year and all that other stuff from BM's and the US Mint. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭
    Added 12 (mostly semi-keys and a 17/8-D .05) and sold 60 (silver).

Joe.
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 Charlotte $1
    2 Charlotte QEs
    1 Nice CBH,
    and I lost count of how many 1909-O Barber quarters... more than 5, less than 10 would be a safe estimate.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I've sold more then I've added, But it's probably within a couple of coins now as I've been getting some generic ms63-64 Morgans just for the hell of it. I did finally add a saint so dollar wise it's probably a net gain by $1000 or so.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive added about 10 or 15 coins. Sold about 10 or 15 coins.
  • Options
    Its a sellers market right now with the metals soaring the way they are.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I've bought one keeper ( Iowa commem) which will hopefully drive my buying for the rest of the foreseeable future as I try to build my first set (50pc commem).

I bought some other small stuff, here and there as they pop up, mostly dimes, some cents, some Peace and a Morgan. Other tid bits.

I've just sold some silver. Nothing of an significant collecting value.

I feel I don't know enough about the coins I have or the current market for them for me to sell anything that has some collectible value, although I'm trying to get comfortable with the idea of selling as a means of funding my fledgling set.

Nick
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 or 6 coins total. 4 coins that in total add up to less than $750, with 1 coin that was $1,380. The possible 6th coin, while it IS a coin, I don't really mentally catalogue it under coins, as it was flown on Gemini 3, so I mentally catalogue it under space memorabilia. It cost more than the other coins combined.
  • Options
    Not counting 90% silver bullion (which would add maybe 35-40 pieces), I am down by two, but only because I traded away six coins to help pay for a 1911-D quarter eagle. It is by far my most expensive and grandiose purchase, so I started the year off big. I have made only one other significant piece, an MS62 common date (1927) quarter eagle, plus two Peace dollars. (and several more raw ones, which I pretty much consider silver bullion, only prettier) It's a lumpy year, with long droughts of being at work long hours while squirreling away savings, but in a few months, I plan to do one of the PCGS Members Only shows with one or two more major purchases.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 , sold 100
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought 57, three of which I have already upgraded and sold the under.
    All were certified except for three. And all were dollars and half dollars.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    I already lost count.

• Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Eight or nine, with about half being Conders. I had a good commem run starting with FUN.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I have bought a bunch and have lost count
  • Options
    MT
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 image
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I want to say I put a strong 450 new coins together this year. all for the book im doing . So they arent rare by no means. but cool additions. Also theres 25 lbs worth of wheats in the corner searched over at least once. At some point Ill need to roll them by year. Ill put it off till the weight gets much much higher first.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly type coins and proof sets...whenever I can get a good deal. image
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a few
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I only bought four Bust Half Dollars during 2011. One of them was the most expensive coin I ever bought, so I will be laying low for the rest of the year.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    four
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just won a great Seated half off E-bay.(also my 1st Seated half dollar) I have now added 3 to my collection.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just won a great Seated half off E-bay.(also my 1st Seated half dollar) I have now added 3 to my collection. >>

Did you get that 1858 in AU58?
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭
    I have bought exactly 1 coin so far this year and it's U.S.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file