Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nice Half Cent

This appears to be a nice one?

Link

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Something is off with the look of this coin, but I do find it attractive. Maybe its just a flat strike, but the obverse hair curls look to worn compared to the rest of the coin.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Color doesn't look original.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Color doesn't look original. >>

That's what I was most curious about.

Does anyone have an accurate example of color and luster for a coin of this era for this grade?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    color and tint along with color patterns look good to me.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Cam-

I do not think that the wear on the hair and color are consistent - could be wrong.

Perhaps halfcentman will chime in - he knows 'em
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking along the same lines as many here. Really like it, it's very attractive, but something is off about the color. Seems like it's been cleaned and recolored.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am still learning about color but I too am wary of the tone.

Let's hear from the masters! What say ye?
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the obverse. Appears cleaned and recolored to me.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    On the other hand, it might be just the pics. It does seem that there is some natural mint bloom in those protected areas. I would love to see this coin in hand!
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    The color and luster in the protected areas (in between the stars or the lettering) is
    different than the open fields, suggesting that the coin is AU. If the image is correct
    for color, there is too much red for an AU coin, so I would say that the coin has been
    "helped."
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster has that blurred whizzed look.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me. On the other hand, Doug Bird showed me a coin recently that fooled me, until he pointed out what wasn't right.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    I sent a note to the seller yesterday asking whether the coin was uncirculated and he wrote back indicating that he thought the coin was "circulated."
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    It appears to have been possibly whizzed from the photos. The color and surfaces don't look right. The appearance of whizzing looks strongest on the reverse.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    The coin looks like a nice AU. I think the problem with the color could be from editing the contrast and brightness on the photo. You can actually bring out some red on a brown coin this way.
    “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tough to tell from the images provided, but this coin looks whizzed or burnished to me...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The images are probably underexposed for a reason, does someone want to ad some fill light to them?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU, but as others have said, not natural. My gut reaction is lightly whizzed. Not unattrative, but wouldn't slab, and ought to sell for way below list price.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    It sure isn't worth the $548 winning bid.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My example of a PCGS 64 BN:

Edited to add a coin I used to own:

Cracked out and sent to PCGS:

Came back in a body bag. The folks at David Lawrence looked at it and said it was "too nice?"
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    love those clash marks
    palmer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file