Home PSA Set Registry Forum

The Official 1986 Fleer Basketball Set

BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is probably the best basketball set of all time. Please share your recent 1986 Fleer pick ups.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my recent pick ups. I built this set back in 1986 and I still kick myself for selling it in 1991. Here are the first 4 stickers I've picked up.

imageimage

imageimage
  • i too built this set in 1986, but was glad to sell it for $1,500 in 1995

i am going to start to pick up the better centered PSA 8/9 rc's as my wallet allows.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>This is probably the best basketball set of all time. Please share your recent 1986 Fleer pick ups. >>

I would agree with you Bobby. Joe Orlando has it listed in his book as one of the top 30 sets of all time. I have such fond memories of this set and collecting back in the late 80's and early 90's. Will always remember you and I trading for a 86-87 set and going back to your house and laying all the cards out on the kitchen table, and then each choosing one card at a time, until all the cards were gone. I guess that's why I have built this set twice already, and am in the process of building it for a third time. This set like nothing else in the hobby is drug-like for me. Can't wait to add my new additions to this thread, and watch this thread grow with others pickups.
  • You guys know each other since youth? thats awesome!

here's what ive got so far:

imageimage

The pair ran me less then $20, couldnt pass that up
    That's a great looking Olajuwon
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Reading the comment about you two trading cards when you were younger made me realize something- the stores around my house as a kid (I was born in '80) didn't sell ANY basketball cards. Ever. At the time, I probably wouldn't have had a great interest, but still lame....
    Just picked up what I hope is a nice Raw/Graded Set and Stickers minus the Jordan's. The set is coming with PSA 9 graded: Jabbar, Bird, Dumars, Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon and Dominique Wilkins. Will put some pictures up when I get the set in the next say or two.

• hoopguru33hoopguru33 Posts: 611 ✭✭
    I like this set very much. I have put together three of them in PSA 9 (the third set needs a PSA 9 Jordan as it only has a PSA 8). I will upgrade that card someday.
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS: BKritz; Akuracy503; Rogermjn; MBMiller25; Artimus; JasonM32; Burke23; Alnavman; InitialD; Gregmo32; Ping4u43; Rbdjr1; Rexvos; Drewsef; Italianstallionyankees; Zep33; Samsgirl214; Bunker; Swartz1; MeteoriteGuy; Itzagoner; VitoCo1972; Saucywombat; RaptorsRule04; Dboneesq; Hallco; ldferg; Hawaii76; Epatmythes; Vladguerrero; Calaban7; Cardcounter2; BobS; Recbball; BarkusD; ShootyBabitt: WalterSobchak; Mrmint23; Nightcrawler729
    Here's my newest pick ups. Received these in the mail today. Thanks again to board member David Ferguson

imageimage

Those look good. I havent picked up any rookies in a while. I dont think many people want to see the Paxson, Humphries and Blackman cards I got today. image
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Bobby,
    Glad you received the cards. I can't believe It has taken this long for someone to start this thread. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I dont think many people want to see the Paxson, Humphries and Blackman cards I got today. image >>

I'd like to see the card of Rolando, at least.
    That Jordan sticker looks good. Whats keeping it from a 9?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>That Jordan sticker looks good. Whats keeping it from a 9? >>

I'm going to get it reviewed at the National. There's a couple of print dots next to the players knee and shin guarding Jordan.
    Had a few arrivals yesterday. This Checklist and Maurice Lucas card came from board member Dustin (Dizzle). He purchased what is turning out to be one of the greatest RAW sets of all time, as he's gotten almost all 9's and 10's from the first 30 or so cards he submitted. I think I purchased almost every card from him. He has been great about giving me deals under VCP average. I am really appreciative. This is the third time I am building this set. I succesfully built an entire PSA 9 set that I sold to a board member when I wanted a Musial RC. I then had a PSA 8 set 80% complete when I sold those cards so I could purchase something else. This time I am building a PSA 8.5 and PSA 9 set. My goal when starting this project was to purchase every Rookie and HOFer under VCP average, and to pay about $6 for PSA 8.5 and $10-11 for PSA 9 commons. That strategy has worked very very well so far. I am approximately 18% under VCP on the 40% of the cards I currently have, which include every major star/rookie except Michael Jordan.

imageimage

Rolando Blackman request from GDM---I refuse to pay $150 for Blackman in PSA 9 when I can pick up the 8.5 for $15 delivered.

These are the cards I picked up from a set purchase earlier in the week. I got 3 graded cards I needed. Pulled 22 commons that I think are PSA 9's, and I think I can sell off the remaining graded cards and RAW cards and get my money back, so I am into these cards for nothing. Wish me Luck!

Matt,
    That checklist is sweet. Good luck.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in my buying raw singles at shows days in the early 90's, I never tried to complete this set but I always liked to look for not just the obvious HOFer types but also the solid players who I had watched in college and the NBA, like Rolando and Fat Lever and Calvin Natt, just to name a few.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed...that is a beautiful CL!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Yes, it's a nice set. But like I have said a few times on this board, I have mixed emotions about this set. Why? Because back in the late 80s when I was selling at local card shows, I had the choice of purchasing '86 Fleer Basketball Wax Boxes for $10 - $12 each or purchasing '88 Fleer and Donruss Baseball for about $15.00 per wax box. Was I right in thinking WHO THE HELL would want basketball cards from Fleer? So I made an informed decision ... I bought about TEN CASES of the baseball. Good move, eh?

Let's see ... a case of basketball is worth ONLY $250,000.00. Multiplied by 10 = HOLY SH*T

OK ... I'm gonna suck down a few more beers and cry myself to sleep!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Got my sticker set off to a nice start earlier this week. Picked this up from a board member, along with a Magic Johnson and Akeem Olajuwon PSA 9's as well.

• If anyone is interested - i have the Dr. J sticker in the sharpest condition you can imagine at Ebay and no one seems to be interested. cheap pick up for some lucky collector. off center, but extremely sharp

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170614707825&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_1710wt_1139
    Here's my latest addition to the 86 set.

Nice Magic, Its amazing to me how little difference there is between PSA 8's and 9's in this.

• << <i>Nice Magic, Its amazing to me how little difference there is between PSA 8's and 9's in this. >>

i was thinking the same thing.
    I just received these trio of HOFers today in the mail. Thanks to Jay (Jay0791)

That Dominique Wilkens is a BLAZER!!!!! Nice cards.
    Here is my newest pick up.

Beautiful Worthy Bobby. Your putting together a really high end PSA 8 or better set. Just perfect centering on the star cards you have picked up.
    Thanks Matt for the kind words, I just received these today from a board Member

Two of my favorite players growing up

imageimage
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    looking for these raw if anyone has any
    BASKETBALL

1986 fleer basketball (raw) II
    11 blackmon-53 magic-57 jordan

Stickers II
    8 jordan

1986 fleer basketball (raw) III
    1-2-7-11-13-14-15-16-18-19-20-21-23-25-27-28-29-30-32-34-35-36-37-38-39-42-43-44-45-47-50-51-53-55-56-57-58-59-60-69-70-71-72-73-74-76-77-78-79-80-82-88-89-92-93-94-95-96-97-105-106-108-111-112-114-116-120-121-124-125-127-129-130-
    Stickers III
    5-8-9-10-11

i also have some PSA 8 for trade let me know what you have and need
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I have a partial set for sale on the BST board.

86 cards total all PSA 9. The set is listed in the registry under "all 9's"

Anyone looking to get off to a good start on this set, this in for you. Many stars in this set NO jordan

Thanks
    Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is probably the best basketball set of all time. Please share your recent 1986 Fleer pick ups. >>

Will always remember you and I trading for a 86-87 set and going back to your house and laying all the cards out on the kitchen table, and then each choosing one card at a time, until all the cards were gone. .... >>

who got the JORDAN?
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

<< <i>Text who got the JORDAN? >>

I got the Jordan. I traded my 86 Topps traded Canseco for it and the rest of the 86 fleer cards. Bobby, had two Jordan's at that time.
  • I've started building this set in all PSA 8. Any help putting it together from board members would be awesome.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Here's my recent 1986 Fleer basketball pickup. I'm building the Michael Cooper Basic set and this was a big pickup for that set. I'm hoping my wallet will allow me to pick up a Magic Johnson PSA 10 soon.

Bernie Kosar collector

Looking for a nicely centered Barkley in PSA 9. LMK

Looking to pay the $100-$110 range

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Received this in the mail last week from forum member gregmo32! Great deal & Great service!

Also picked up 18 more PSA 9's for my set from 4SC last week during their 15% off sale (probably should have bought a few more, but I stuck to only the cards I needed that were $1 a more below VCP average).
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Every now and then I go back to this set ... one day I'll have it straight 9 ...
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar PSA 10 just went for a mint on Ebay. $1500 plus.

Bernie Kosar collector

• What a great set.

Back in the day, 1992, 1993, I remember owning the Barkley, Drexler, Olajuwon and Wilkins raw. Before grading, you really had to look hard for mint, centered examples (esp on a 14 year olds budget). The Drexler I really prized, I think I paid $40 for it.

One of these days I'll probably get the set in a straight 9, and maybe buy some packs.
    I was cleaning up the card closest and found 3 PSA 9 NQ dups

I would like to trade for something I dont have but will sell too.

LMK
    Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of recent sales for a complete PSA 9 set? I am wondering what it would sell for.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

<< <i>Does anyone know of recent sales for a complete PSA 9 set? I am wondering what it would sell for. >>

I sold mine not to long ago for $3850. I sold my previous set (prior to the $3850) to a board member for $4100.

• MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I am a huge fan of this set. Got my first one:

Thanks for the info on the set. It seems like a fun one to take a run at.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    Nice one MattyC

Bernie Kosar collector

I'm looking to purchase PSA 9 RC's if anyone has any they want to sell (Thomas, Malone, Ewing, Olajuwon, Dominique, Mullin and Drexler).
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Building yet another one of these sets, anyone else working on this must have Basketball set.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    I am slowly working on this set and would love to trade, especially for RCs.
    I have 8,9, 10's and a few extra raw singles.

Gregmo32@aol.com if you want to trade or buy.
  • Are there still any 86 fleer collectors around?