Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The old eBay buyer problem again

I posted before about an eBay buyer who asked for two weeks to pay for an item he won on eBay ($470). I gave him the two weeks, which is about to expire. I get a message that he can't pay it all now because of a friend dying and he needs the $$ for an airline ticket to go to the funeral. So, I'm starting to call bullsh!t on him at this point, but he says he'll send me $100 now as good faith if I give him another two weeks to pay the balance, and if he can't pay in two weeks I can keep the $100 for the aggravation. He has 138 positive feedbacks and no negs. yet. What would my downside with eBay be if I gave him another two weeks and kept the $100 if he didn't pay?
successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I think you have 90 days to file a claim - leave feedback, so I don't see a downside as long as he uses PayPal (that way he can't claim that he paid you in full once you accept his deposit).
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Ask Ebay!

$470 is alot of money for some people, maybe he is being honest. I'm sure you could adjust the price after he sends you the $100. I'm sure he won't want to loose his money. I think that's fair if you take it if he falls through. I lost 1k backing out of my house agreement. (went with another builder).
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deposits can make for very difficult business especially when a third party(ebay-paypal) can intervene.

Cancel the transaction and move forward.

'cause you don't REALLY know how many relatives he has left in his list that can possibly die on you.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    If he uses paypal for the $100, he can probably get his money back from them if he wanted to. In any case, if you don't need the money right now, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    get the $100 as a PayPal gift $ and give him a chance
  • Options

<< <i>get the $100 as a PayPal gift $ and give him a chance >>

That's what I did. I told him as soon as I received the $100 via paypal gift I would send him an amended invoice, showing amount due as $370+shipping instead of the $470 bid price. We'll see how he responds.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post buyers ebay user name so I can send send him a card of sympathy for his friend.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Deposits can make for very difficult business especially when a third party(ebay-paypal) can intervene.

Cancel the transaction and move forward.

'cause you don't REALLY know how many relatives he has left in his list that can possibly die on you. >>

Totally agree , i'd have cancelled and relisted without missing a beat. Asking for a gifted deposit is thin ice with ebay policy and at the end of the day the seller is flirting with being negged the longer it gets dragged out. A lot of people think a seller can not be negged if the item wasn't paid for , that's not absolutely true at all.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Two responses came to mind for me. I'm leaning towards #2.

1.) Extend him the additional time upon receipt of a deposit, unless the item is something that has the ability to fluctuate in value quickly (bullion).

My other thought.

2.) Cancel it. He hasn't been able to put the money up. He didn't have it before, directly after the auction or 2 weeks later. More than likely will not have it after his 2 week extension.
  • Options

<< <i>I posted before about an eBay buyer who asked for two weeks to pay for an item he won on eBay ($470). I gave him the two weeks, which is about to expire. I get a message that he can't pay it all now because of a friend dying and he needs the $$ for an airline ticket to go to the funeral. So, I'm starting to call bullsh!t on him at this point, but he says he'll send me $100 now as good faith if I give him another two weeks to pay the balance, and if he can't pay in two weeks I can keep the $100 for the aggravation. He has 138 positive feedbacks and no negs. yet. What would my downside with eBay be if I gave him another two weeks and kept the $100 if he didn't pay? >>

If you give him the two weeks, then everyone who buys from your eBay store would expect the same thing.

Neg him on the transaction, report him to eBay and hopefully they will ban him, and work it out with you on the fees for the sale.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I posted before about an eBay buyer who asked for two weeks to pay for an item he won on eBay ($470). I gave him the two weeks, which is about to expire. I get a message that he can't pay it all now because of a friend dying and he needs the $$ for an airline ticket to go to the funeral. So, I'm starting to call bullsh!t on him at this point, but he says he'll send me $100 now as good faith if I give him another two weeks to pay the balance, and if he can't pay in two weeks I can keep the $100 for the aggravation. He has 138 positive feedbacks and no negs. yet. What would my downside with eBay be if I gave him another two weeks and kept the $100 if he didn't pay? >>

If you give him the two weeks, then everyone who buys from your eBay store would expect the same thing.

Neg him on the transaction, report him to eBay and hopefully they will ban him, and work it out with you on the fees for the sale. >>

Sellers can't give negs or nuetrals , positives or nothing at all is the option. The worst a buyer comes off here is an unpaid item strike , hardly ban worthy.
  • Options
    If you start the Unpaid Item claim now it will still be a week before coin is freed up to be resold. Start now. He'll still have a chance to pay and if he does this habitually it will catch up with him by filing the claim. Claim will also refund you selling fees.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    ...or maybe I could throw out the second chance offer to the backup bidder that was only $5 under his bid.
  • Options
    That's what i would do. No potential headachs.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the guy a favor. Cancel the transaction and move forward. Anybody in that kind of fix shouldn't be spending their money on $400+ coins.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

If IRC, if buyer doesn't pay in full, then there is not buyer/seller protection. Partial payments negate it. I read it somewhere, give paypal / ebay a call b4 you take his money
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Cancel the transaction. He obviously is in way over his head and this "dying friend" business came nearly two weeks after he already asked for a two week extension.

Sorry to appear heartless but your buyer is in no position to buy a $470 coin and you'll suffer for his lack of good judgement.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i believe its 45 days or less to re-coupe your FVF definately is NOT 90 you can wait it out and in the end you will most likely get the stick, if the buyer is willing to do a gift of 100 as a deposit, thats up to you but why not ? he defaults, he loses the deposit.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    well if you go through with it, ship it insured, with tracking and signature confirmation and anything else you can

and to me it sounds like a variation of the craigslist scam, google for it.
  • Options
    I would politely request that he agree to a cancel of the sale and relist. Explain to him that you also are short of cash and as much as you hate to do it, you too need the dough. Since he's broke he will understand, especially since he so freely asks understanding from you.
    -----
    I agree that he cannot afford this coin if the price of a single airline ticket bankrupts him. Contingencies arise and one does not paint oneself into such a financial corner as he has done. Don't tell him that though.
    ------
    As for the death. I was EBay buyer and the gal didn't ship, didn't ship, didn't ship and finally pulled the funeral on me. I called BS. When she finally shipped, she included a copy of the relevant death notice. It really was her sister and I felt a little bit like a heel but then too life goes on and what exactly was she so busy doing for a month? Had she never driven past a post office? I bet she didn't forget to eat that entire time. Oh well.
    ------
    Slip out of this noose and receive your payments in future when they are due. Immediately.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I have done many payment deals before. it is up to you if you need the money now or want to carry a loan. In my case, I often have multiple coins (moderns) so I can sell him one on payments and keep selling on ebay. I ALWAYS take a payment deal private. Ebay doesn't have a payment plan and I explain this to them. If they want to cancel the ebay auction and send me a check I hold the coin for them. They always take me up on it and I have never had one flake. They respond positively to my accomodation.

If he only needs 2 weeks, I would tell him that is fine and not worry about it. Pay in 2 weeks. I give people at least 30 days to pay.

I hope this is the worst problem you ever have.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>I have done many payment deals before. it is up to you if you need the money now or want to carry a loan. In my case, I often have multiple coins (moderns) so I can sell him one on payments and keep selling on ebay. I ALWAYS take a payment deal private. Ebay doesn't have a payment plan and I explain this to them. If they want to cancel the ebay auction and send me a check I hold the coin for them. They always take me up on it and I have never had one flake. They respond positively to my accomodation.

If he only needs 2 weeks, I would tell him that is fine and not worry about it. Pay in 2 weeks. I give people at least 30 days to pay.

I hope this is the worst problem you ever have.

--Jerry >>

The only problem is that the buyer is already two weeks into asking for two weeks more time Jerry.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Well, the idiot sent the $100, but sent it via regular paypal, and not as a gift as I instructed him to do. I think I need to talk to someone at eBay about this. Anyone have that magic phone number that I can get a real live person to talk to?
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the idiot sent the $100, but sent it via regular paypal, and not as a gift as I instructed him to do. I think I need to talk to someone at eBay about this. Anyone have that magic phone number that I can get a real live person to talk to? >>

If it shows as payed in ebay now he got you behind the 8 ball now , should have cancelled it man.
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, the idiot sent the $100, but sent it via regular paypal, and not as a gift as I instructed him to do. I think I need to talk to someone at eBay about this. Anyone have that magic phone number that I can get a real live person to talk to? >>

If it shows as payed in ebay now he got you behind the 8 ball now , should have cancelled it man. >>

It does not show as a payment against the auction. Just a unique transaction ID. Nothing related to the lot number of the auction as all other auction related payments always show. On my summery the lot still shows as unpaid.

Anyone got that ebay phone number?
  • Options
    You asked for a deposit , he gave you one , are you cancelling because it wasn't gifted ? I'd be careful calling Ebay as they will wonder what's going on and the buyer won't be overly pleased either after an agreed deposit was refunded , he can still neg you.I gotta say again , you seem to be flirting with it.
  • Options
    I'm not canceling anything. Just want to talk with eBay and advise them what has happened and seek their advise as I'm doing here.
  • Options
    mrcoin3 this should be the number 1-866-643-2959
  • Options
    I forgot, but you might have to have a pin number to use it. image You might have to figure that part out on your own. The pin is on a time limit, I think.
  • Options
    Nevermind that's not any help, Ebay disconnected it. Sorry!
  • Options
    This one works! 1-800-322-9266 I just tried it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the number.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a business deal, so keep it businesslike. Either payment in full as agreed or cancel the deal. He's just trying to back door you into a layaway plan after the fact, and it appears he's succeeded. Nothing irks me more than someone who wants to renegotiate terms after they win. And the funeral excuse has been used so many times you can't tell if it's for real or not-and frankly even if true, that's his problem and not yours. You sold to him in good faith, and you've already given him two extra weeks as it is...now it's time to pay up or cancel the deal.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I agree, cancel the bid and make a second chance offer to the underbidder. That would have been the best option in my oppinion. Telephoto1 is 100% right in my oppinion.
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the downside with eBay. But your own downside would be your being a Nice Guy, this character being a scammer, and his counting on his being able to keep tugging at your heartstrings and beating you. That tale about the friend dying and the needed airline ticket for the funeral . . . reminds me of a George Costanza tale on Seinfeld. Actually, I bet he doesn't send you that "good faith" $100. In any case, you can't sell him the item until it's totally paid. Perhaps even a better idea to put it up for sale again.
    coinsandwhitesox
  • Options
    Refund the paypal payment and file ebay unpaid item. It's not that difficult to do since the paypal payment was not tield to the auction.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Well I already accepted his non-refundable $100, so if he don't pay in two weeks I'll keep his $100, fiie the non paying bidder report and sell the coin to the back up bidder who has now offered me $399 for the coin. If all that fails I guess I'll just re-list it. since the $100 he sent me is in no way connected to any sale of anything thru paypal. I don't see any downside for me other than time. His ebay track record looks clean too and he's not a Johnny come lately either. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy, but I'd feel bad if the funeral thing was true and I came down on him hard.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I already accepted his non-refundable $100, so if he don't pay in two weeks I'll keep his $100, fiie the non paying bidder report and sell the coin to the back up bidder who has now offered me $399 for the coin. If all that fails I guess I'll just re-list it. since the $100 he sent me is in no way connected to any sale of anything thru paypal. I don't see any downside for me other than time. His ebay track record looks clean too and he's not a Johnny come lately either. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy, but I'd feel bad if the funeral thing was true and I came down on him hard. >>

I've never heard of a "non-Refundable deposit" regarding an eBay auction win and I'm sure if he pressed it with eBay along with the record of his Paypal payment that they won't hear of it either.

Of course I'm assuming that his $100 "non-refundable deposit" was made to the same email address as your eBay account is associated with.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Paypal has two ways to send money. Purchases and personal.

Personal is where gift is located.

Purchases include "goods' 'services' and 'ebay items' (which if I read it correctly in your case

is NOT tied to this specific auction.) That may help him get his 100.00 back. I'd look to see

exactly what the transaction was for in the details section.

Good luck in any event.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Paypal has two ways to send money. Purchases and personal.

Personal is where gift is located.

Purchases include "goods' 'services' and 'ebay items' (which if I read it correctly in your case

is NOT tied to this specific auction.) That may help him get his 100.00 back. I'd look to see

exactly what the transaction was for in the details section.

Good luck in any event.

Steve >>

Here is what it says:
    Payment Received (Unique Transaction ID # 7NE89485CC7338246)

Sent by:
    Bradley G***s (The sender of this payment is Verified
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well I already accepted his non-refundable $100, so if he don't pay in two weeks I'll keep his $100, fiie the non paying bidder report and sell the coin to the back up bidder who has now offered me $399 for the coin. If all that fails I guess I'll just re-list it. since the $100 he sent me is in no way connected to any sale of anything thru paypal. I don't see any downside for me other than time. His ebay track record looks clean too and he's not a Johnny come lately either. Maybe I'm just too nice of a guy, but I'd feel bad if the funeral thing was true and I came down on him hard. >>

I've never heard of a "non-Refundable deposit" regarding an eBay auction win and I'm sure if he pressed it with eBay along with the record of his Paypal payment that they won't hear of it either.

Of course I'm assuming that his $100 "non-refundable deposit" was made to the same email address as your eBay account is associated with. >>

Yes same email addy.

Here is his message sent through the eBay message system, so they have a copy of it too:

"I am writing to let yo know that I might be unable to pay you the full balance by March 15th as I had originally arranged. I dear friend of mine passed away on Friday and I need to use the money I was going to send you to get an airline ticket for the funeral. I know this sounds odd seeing as how I have delayed payment so long. I can send you $100.00 now just to show good faith in paying for the coin and pay the balance of 370.00 on or before March 31st. If I don't, you can keep the $100.00 for me taking up your time.This is horrible timing and I am in no means trying to give you a hassle. I hope you understand. Please let me know asap if this arrangement is ok.
    Sincerely, Brad "

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file