Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dime saver folders--history of?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend from the Chicago Coin Club who works at the bank across the street from where I used to work collects what I call "dime savers," those cardboard folders with slots to hold 30 or 40 dimes that banks used to give out to get kids started saving. I gave him a bunch over the years that came into the coin shop, and now he is considering doing an exhibit on them for the ANA convention here in Chicago this year.

Does anybody have any history on these I can pass along to him? When did they start using them, that kind of stuff.

Are there any other terms that these are referred to as? If you google "dime saver" you don't get much, and wikipedia does not recognize the term. What did you call them if you had one as a kid?

Thanks,
TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching the Pawn Stars a couple weeks ago and someone came in with a small metal book-shaped box which was the same idea - you were supposed to fill it up with coins and then come in and start your bank account. I think it dated to the 1920s or so. IIRC the Pawn Stars guy said it wasn't worth much & no deal was made on it.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I remember those! They used to hand them out at The 1st National Bank in Skokie when I was a kid, and my grandmother would help me fill them with Mercury dimes whenever she got one in change.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember those! They used to hand them out at The 1st National Bank in Skokie when I was a kid, and my grandmother would help me fill them with Mercury dimes whenever she got one in change. >>

What year would that have been?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    repeated information image
    Finest Coins and Relics

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember those! They used to hand them out at The 1st National Bank in Skokie when I was a kid, and my grandmother would help me fill them with Mercury dimes whenever she got one in change. >>

What year would that have been? >>

Probably sometime mid to late 60's, but those dime folders go back quite a bit I think, maybe as early as the 40's or 50's?
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭
    Filled all kinds of these holders in the 60"s. Was fun.imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>

What year would that have been? >>

Probably sometime mid to late 60's, but those dime folders go back quite a bit I think, maybe as early as the 40's or 50's? >>

I'm guessing post-war era, but I just don't know.
    TD
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have always found a big pile on eBay when I search the term 'bank saver'

but just checked and it gets the name of bank and 'dime' or 'quarter', as there are a few quarter holders as well
  • IIRC, those dime holders were connected to the "March of Dimes" charity effort at one time. Mostly likely back in the fifties and sixties.
    Gary
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I don't have Dave Lange's book on coin boards handy at the moment, but maybe he discusses these bank cards tangentially?

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can add a little to the time line.
    I remember filling some of those dime folders in about 1960 - the folder was from my local savings & loan (Racine, Wisconsin) and was designed to get us to get into a savings habit.

Now the other piece to my story is that I was born in 1954 and one of the things my relatives did was fill a number of the folders with Mercury Dimes as a gift. My parents gave them back to me when I was old enough to appreciate them. I ended up putting many of those Mercs in a Whitman folder and they remain there today. I only wish I had kept the original dime folders instead of putting the coins in the Whitman and coin tubes.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• I have 3 different ones here,
    A Blue Citizens Bank, A Yellow Scottish Citizens Bank, both from Flint, MI.
    and a Yellow PIG, says "POCKET PIG COIN SAVER"
    All hald #30 dimes, and several are pencil dated 1964.

ALL were made by BANTHRICO INTERNATIONAL INC, CHICAGO

Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭
    I found this on the internet about Banthrico, not about the dime savers but I thought it might give you some background info.

"Banthrico started to produce promotional coin banks in the 1940’s. They were typically made of "white metal" composed of 95% zinc and 5% aluminum. Banthrico is a short form of the Banker’s Thrift Association who originally manufactured the coin banks. Banthrico banks can range in value from fifteen dollars to hundreds of dollars for a rare model."

• Are you guys saying that the Dime Savers were created after WW2?

<< <i>Are you guys saying that the Dime Savers were created after WW2? >>

I'm saying that I do not kinow when they started, and would appreciate any information I can pass along to my friend.
    TD
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the March of Dime boards in the early 50's. Perhaps they started the
    craze and the banks just jumped on board?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I have a "Watch Kitty Grow" dime folder that dates to 1955, according to what I was
    told by the previous owner. I will pull it out sometime and see if it has any type of
    date on it. It holds 30 dimes, and at the time I acquired it, it was filled with 1956-D
    dimes, all Uncirculated.

My understanding of the hoard of 1939-D and 1940-D Mercury dimes that produced all
    of the 68's and 69's is that they were stored in folders like these, and that was what
    produced their toning. If so, they would definitely predate WW 2.
    ttt
    I also remember there were two different styles, one had long vertical rows where you would slide the dimes down in rows of five I think, and I think the later styles just had individual slots for each dime. Both styles usually had markings to show how much you saved so far.
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While searching "coin saver" found a link to a 1940 wheel shaped one for dimes mentioned on a site that appears to sell price info. But you can still see a picture of it. Can't tell from pic if it is called a dime saver on it or if the seller called it that, or if the date is accurate. Looks like it could have been meant for saving up a donation to the organization.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/old-1940-dime-coin-saver-cwc-childrens-world

Also ran across this March of Dimes folder link. It is noted as 1950's. Always wondered if they led to the bank issued savers. But would need to find an older one to answer that question.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/neatocoolville/3887675280/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• I'm pretty sure I have a pig-themed dime or quarter one that's dated 1939, I'll try to remember to confirm that at the SD box Monday.
  • I may be wrong in my memory of this but didn't they make one that held quarters to build to buy U.S. Savings Bonds. It seems i remember being given one in the 4th grade at school, around 1958.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • I have seen ones for nickels, dimes, quarters, and a mixed quarter/dime one.
  • Don't know much about the history....................

6 or so years ago I picked up a board on ebay and unfortunatly left it within reach of this guy.

this what he turned it into.

Bad doggie!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file